By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sub $300 PS3 80gb Sells Out Instantly

I buy brand new, thank you.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network

PS3 has finally reached the price of the PS2 here at launch, and it's going to sell crazily.

will PS3 ever reach $99 price point?

I don't think so.I think 199 will be it's lowest price before it's discontinued.

Oh shit...

Sonys doomed if PS3's move that fast!

Unless there making profit that is, which if thats the case then its good but if its not... Ugh...

There's no data on how many used consoles were actually in stock, but it does show that there is a market with their finger on the buy button for a PS3 at about $300 just waiting for the price to drop.

So imagine one possible reality: inventory clearing of current 80GB SKUs at $100 off for an entry price of $299 concurrent with the release of the PS3 Slim (or just prior), which will most likely be priced anywhere from $399 to $299, depending on how much 80GB inventory is in distribution channels.

Once cleared of 80GB inventory, expect the PS3 Slim price to drop to the sale price of the 80GB clearing price at $299.

Many will recall this is precisely what happened when SCE transitioned from the 60GB SKU to the 80GB SKU (BC version); the 60GB dropped from $599 to $499, the 80GB SKU Motorstorm bundle was initially priced at $599 until 60GB inventory was gone at which point the 80GB bundle price dropped to $499. Later that fall, the 40GB SKU debuted at $399.

And this is not to rule out potential bundles such as an EA Sports NFL bundle to tie in with the new SKU.

It's all in the timing, and amount of inventory SCE has in the distro channels that determines how this may or may not play out.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Oh shit...

Sonys doomed if PS3's move that fast!

Unless there making profit that is, which if thats the case then its good but if its not... Ugh...

Yep...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=80412&page=1

^Exactly!

Squilliam said:
Long term people, long term! It doesn't matter what the sales spike to, it matters what the sales are 6 months after the price cut.

Look at their last price cut- six months later, in mid-June of 2008, the PS3 outsold the Wii and sold triple what the 360 sold!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

This really illustrates the impossible situation Sony's gotten themselves into. If they sell the PS3 at $300, they end up losing $100 extra on each unit AND they sell units faster. If they keep the price at $400, they continue to sell about as well as Blu-ray copies of 'Disaster Movie', still at a loss on each unit.

The slim will probably cost more than the phat, so it probably will hardly sell at all.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m7d22-PS3-Slim-September-2-official-announcement-August-18

Great job, Stringer.

Who really knows how much they are losing on each console now, or how much they will lose on each PS3slim?
As much as I know that last time that Sony replied on their manufacturing cost fot the PS3 was around January.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.