By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sub $300 PS3 80gb Sells Out Instantly

if they cut the prices will they have revenue?

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
PS3 will sell kabillions when a pricecut comes... confirmed.

I agree with that one!

Imagine a 350$ PS3 with GT5 bundle = very good chance for selling out Wii for at least a month!

I hope $ony can afford that $299 Price for it slim.. GO $ONY!!!!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Wait! Wait!
But if there really is a PS3 slim, will it be DOMED?!

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

299$ PS3 is going to be unstoppable, it`s a matter of time now.)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
stewroids said:
i think a 100 dollar price cut will be really beneficial to sony and i don't think that it can be countered by microsoft in any way...the 360 is already so cheap, they cannot afford to drop the price any more...i say a year after the price cut, sony will close the 8.5 million gap to 4.5 if they release a slim bundled with gt5 or even mgs4 and killzone 2, as people still see those games as the main reason to own a ps3

You're joking right? Microsoft can afford anything. They chucked away $4,000,000,000 just to get their foot in the door last generation.

There were already rumors that Microsoft was replacing the Elite with the Pro which is basicly a price drop for the Elite.

wholikeswood said:

Obviously there's no mention of how many units moved in that lunchtime period to achieve sold-out status, but it's definitely a promising sign that a $299 PS3 would sell gangbusters!

One: It took a lot longer than a 'lunchtimer period': it seems to have taken about six hours. That doesn't beat the Wii or 360 at their respective peak sales.

Two: No one denies that a sub-300 PS3 would sell well for a time. The only question is how long it would be before Sony went bankrupt from the crippling losses such sales would inflict on it.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Since most rational points have been ignored I will reiterate ...

In order to see a noticeable increase in sales long term a system has to attract people to buy a system who were previously not interested in it. When a system's price is cut you typically see a massive spike in sales early on as people who were already going to buy the system rush out and buy it earlier than they normally would have; and when it is a price cut caused by a sale at a single location you also get a spike from people buying it from that retailer rather than from the store they would have bought it from before. The system selling fast does not mean that there has been any increased interest in the product.

To put it another way, I regularly browse a site where members post deals and bargains as they find them. Recently, there was a deal for a 500GB hard-drive for (around) $50 were 100 hard-drives sold out almost immediately. Now how many people think that if every retailer was regularly selling 500GB hard-drives for (around) $50 they would sell like crazy, and how many people think that everyone who were in the market for the best of the cheapest hard-drives was attracted to the sale?

Certainly, a $300 PS3 will sell better than the current $400 PS3, but in the long term it is unlikely that the price cut would do (much) more than return the PS3 to the level of sales it was seeing last year.

Kantor said:
Squilliam said:
Long term people, long term! It doesn't matter what the sales spike to, it matters what the sales are 6 months after the price cut.

Look at their last price cut- six months later, in mid-June of 2008, the PS3 outsold the Wii and sold triple what the 360 sold!

6 months later was like February... dirty Xbox 360 fanboy.

Tease.

HappySqurriel said:

Since most rational points have been ignored I will reiterate ...

In order to see a noticeable increase in sales long term a system has to attract people to buy a system who were previously not interested in it. When a system's price is cut you typically see a massive spike in sales early on as people who were already going to buy the system rush out and buy it earlier than they normally would have; and when it is a price cut caused by a sale at a single location you also get a spike from people buying it from that retailer rather than from the store they would have bought it from before. The system selling fast does not mean that there has been any increased interest in the product.

To put it another way, I regularly browse a site where members post deals and bargains as they find them. Recently, there was a deal for a 500GB hard-drive for (around) $50 were 100 hard-drives sold out almost immediately. Now how many people think that if every retailer was regularly selling 500GB hard-drives for (around) $50 they would sell like crazy, and how many people think that everyone who were in the market for the best of the cheapest hard-drives was attracted to the sale?

Certainly, a $300 PS3 will sell better than the current $400 PS3, but in the long term it is unlikely that the price cut would do (much) more than return the PS3 to the level of sales it was seeing last year.

You could also say that a $100 price cut in the U.S. isn't exactly 25% either. By the time you consider the fact that the usual person walks out with at least $100 in games an accessories the effect becomes even more minor.

Tease.