By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Real War is between Wii and X360

Krusnik said:
taxman said:
One of the first rules of statistics is Correlation does not equate causation. If something is corellated it doesn't mean that they affect each other, it just means that they occationally moved in the same direction over a period of time...

so corellation of the sales of each console dies not mean that they affect each other in any meaningful way.

Which is why he probably needs to conduct a multiple regression analysis of said coefficents, and determine if the variables he was working with are a good fit. But that in its self is a very large can of worms i couldn't be arsed to open right now

@Squill seems like we're both in the same boat i aced Economics as well stats sunk like a rock..LOL

If you have the knowhow to build a multiple regression model to predict the outcome of the console wars, then you should be putting your talent to use in a business career instead of hanging out here :P

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Around the Network

Very interesting, but I must agree that the sample of weeks is too small to be hugely meaningful.

Interesting nonetheless.

Kenny said:
Krusnik said:
taxman said:
One of the first rules of statistics is Correlation does not equate causation. If something is corellated it doesn't mean that they affect each other, it just means that they occationally moved in the same direction over a period of time...

so corellation of the sales of each console dies not mean that they affect each other in any meaningful way.

Which is why he probably needs to conduct a multiple regression analysis of said coefficents, and determine if the variables he was working with are a good fit. But that in its self is a very large can of worms i couldn't be arsed to open right now

@Squill seems like we're both in the same boat i aced Economics as well stats sunk like a rock..LOL

If you have the knowhow to build a multiple regression model to predict the outcome of the console wars, then you should be putting your talent to use in a business career instead of hanging out here :P

Dude i'm high...LOL didn't catch the last part i wrote to squilliam. although Regression to me is one of the most appealing parts of statistics

Statistics is appealing to know how to do, its just that I find the whole process to be beyond me. I love the data statistics can give you but I simply cannot grasp the process of creating that data. I can ace pretty much any other subject aside from Statistics and to a lesser extent accounting!

Tease.

Wow, so many things happened when I am not here! :)

@Dodece
Thank you for the appreciation. I kinda agree with what you say, though it might be too early for that. Besides 360-PS3 is on war too, just that it doesnt have interaction as much as between wii and 360.

@taxman
You are right in general sense, however, we are talking about a very specific concept area of sales here. The parameters and variables are clearly defined. Three consoles sales. They have to have one of the three relations between each other, negative or positive affect, or no affect. And we know from economics, is that goods in relation one to another are
- complementary (positive correlation)
- substitutes (negative correlation)
- unrelated (no correlation)

So this is how we defy the causation of the positive correlation between ps3 and wii. (Because it doesnt make sense for an additional wii sale to increase ps3 sales, it has no effect in the best case scenario).

On the other hand, its most likely the case that those consoles have negative effects on each other (a common competing market), and this is how we establish our causality for the negative coefficients of correlation between wii & 360 and PS3 & 360.

In short, causality is clear here. What we lack is sufficient magnitude of data (I will try to figure it out).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

I see where you're coming from, but really, that's just coincidence.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@kowenicki

No, it does help! It doesnt have to be weekly. Can I get the link?

coolbeans said:
The really real war is between the Wii and console sales history.

I lol'd!

Double post.  Sorry.

@kowenicki

you can email me here.

freedquaker@gmail.com