By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is super mario galaxy rated so high over all?

I dunno. It's a mario main title so people have to rate it highly ? I found it boring .. I still like super mario bros 3 though.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Graves said:
I think reviewers feel obliged to give Mario games high scores. They haven't been bad but greatly over rated.

this. Mario games are good but not great IMO.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

the immense orchestra soundtrack, the innovative completely-explorable planet designs, epic situations, and space. space pwns.

its just 120 stars of awesome.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
PullusPardus said:
Samus Aran said:
First of all, Miyamoto doesn't WANT a story in Mario games, so if he says no, it's NO. 

you are miyamoto's spokesman?

Miyamoto has repeatedly stated in interviews that he isn't a big fan of stories in HIS games, particularly the main Mario series.  The amount of story that he allowed in Mario Galaxy (the Rosaline story book) was actually a compromise with the guy reponsible for the game's story who was actually pushing for more and Miyamoto who wanted less.  He has also stated that he will not be compromising in the sequal which will have less story than in the first game.

OT: It's Mario, it really doesn't need a story and to be honest i'm not sure that it would work these days with so many years of Mario without a story. The graphics are great for Wii, you can't go comparing Wii games' graphics to HD games.  Technical aspects are historically measured against the standard for that system and not against other systems. Finally, the game is rated so highly because alot of people think that it is really, really good.

Dno said:
Shanobi said:
Gearbox said:

on gamerankings.com super mario galaxy is the 2nd / 3rd highest rated game of all time. this confuses me. 

like i LOVE the game, just like every1 else but how can a game with not so good looking graphics and a generic story get that high? like i could c it being an 85 maybe 88 but 97??? these no way crappy stories and bad graphics only count for 3 % of the overall.

im suspecting some bias towards this. 

was it rated so high just because it was a mario game? like did reviwers decide to veto the story part because its a mario game? did they ignor graphics because its on the wii?

thoughts?

It's a fucking video game. Story and graphics do not make a game, and in fact without gameplay they have NOTHING to do with gaming.

My thoughts are that you need to re-evaluate your opinion of what makes a game. A great story with great graphics and shitty or mediocre gameplay, is still shitty and mediocre.

hmmm shenmue had a great story with great graphics and shitty gameplay... but people loved it...

The few thousand people who bought Shenmue, loved it.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

Enjoyable to play, looks great for a Wii game, etc.

Because it is pure fun which is all a game should be...

Former something....

Ehh. I find first party nintendo games are usually reviewed too highly. SMG was very good at what it wanted to do but not revolutionary... simply evolutionary.... to justify a high 90 to me it would have needed much more.

Truly a 3-D Super Mario Bros. 3.

Because Shigeru Is GOD!!! >_> all his games are bad ass, except wii music...