By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is super mario galaxy rated so high over all?

Well, I agree with him. 97 is not a proper rate for SMG. If GTA4 is rated 95 or whatever, SMG should be 190 to say the least.

Seriously? Probably the best gaming experience I ever had.

Around the Network

OP: I have no idea, it would never reach the top if I rated it but that means nothing to other reviewers...
There are heaps of well reviewed games that I don't agree with (don't get me wrong, I'd rate SMG highly, just not top notch) but that's all subjective, isn't it?

KingEidilleg said:
Ratchetti said:
It's one of the most over rated games ever. Maybe even more over rated than CoD4.

Have you even ever played it? Nevermind. 

Nothin but playstation :P

Baised reviews thats why.

Super Mario Galaxy is a kiss from the highest beings.

I think because its a 'pure' game if I can use that term. There's no plot really, just a lot of fun, well thought out challenges using tried and tested gameplay mechanics. I think when you think videogame its the type of title that perfectly fits the moniker.

Personally, from a very early stage of videogame history, I've always been much more interested in gameplay blended with story, themes, etc to deliver an experience closer to cinema/literature, hence I value titles like Ico, Deus Ex, System Shock, Silent Hill, etc much more highly.

But from a purist view of games its clearly superb and I think that's why it gets so highly rated. It's what video games were all about for the majority, I would imagine.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Its possibly the best game I've ever played, nothing has given me the desire to completely finish a game in YEARS. KOTOR was the last one, but I enjoyed SMG more than that.

I cannot wait for the new one, it will be EPIC!!!

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Because it had amazing graphics and a story would actuall get in the way. It's also amazing in every way.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

it deserves the second place.
one of the best games ever. I play games for fun, and i had a wonderful time with it.
completely finished the game (cant say that for all the other games i have).
i have all 3 consoles this gen and this is still my favourite.

there isnt a thing i didnt like (well maybe it was a little easy).

in one word: briljant.

and a 100/100 game

Gearbox said:

on gamerankings.com super mario galaxy is the 2nd / 3rd highest rated game of all time. this confuses me. 

like i LOVE the game, just like every1 else but how can a game with not so good looking graphics and a generic story get that high? like i could c it being an 85 maybe 88 but 97??? these no way crappy stories and bad graphics only count for 3 % of the overall.

im suspecting some bias towards this. 

was it rated so high just because it was a mario game? like did reviwers decide to veto the story part because its a mario game? did they ignor graphics because its on the wii?

thoughts?

It's a fucking video game. Story and graphics do not make a game, and in fact without gameplay they have NOTHING to do with gaming.

My thoughts are that you need to re-evaluate your opinion of what makes a game. A great story with great graphics and shitty or mediocre gameplay, is still shitty and mediocre.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:

shitty and mediocre.

Can't we just use shittiocre for short?