By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is super mario galaxy rated so high over all?

Shanobi said:
Gearbox said:

on gamerankings.com super mario galaxy is the 2nd / 3rd highest rated game of all time. this confuses me. 

like i LOVE the game, just like every1 else but how can a game with not so good looking graphics and a generic story get that high? like i could c it being an 85 maybe 88 but 97??? these no way crappy stories and bad graphics only count for 3 % of the overall.

im suspecting some bias towards this. 

was it rated so high just because it was a mario game? like did reviwers decide to veto the story part because its a mario game? did they ignor graphics because its on the wii?

thoughts?

It's a fucking video game. Story and graphics do not make a game, and in fact without gameplay they have NOTHING to do with gaming.

My thoughts are that you need to re-evaluate your opinion of what makes a game. A great story with great graphics and shitty or mediocre gameplay, is still shitty and mediocre.

hmmm shenmue had a great story with great graphics and shitty gameplay... but people loved it...

Around the Network

You might as well force all sports games to be below 90 since they have non existent stories.

Good stories are only required for some genres, like RPG, if I play an RPG with a terrible story I would hope it gets knocked off. But if I play Mario and say there isn't enough character development, well, that doesn't really apply to this type of game.

Seriously... I know why the game was rated so high... um... because the reviewers who rated it, rated it high. Now if they we're biased... well we'd have to ask them. ;op

For myself... I think the game deserved it. It is a great game that I believe deserves the praise it gets.

As for the question of graphics... and story... well the graphics are great for this gen... and not just for the wii. As far as story goes, tell me one game in the platformer genre that has an epic storyline with all the other stuff galaxy has going for itself as well. Very few and far between if at all.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

I would rather ask why OoT is rated so high. Blocky as shit graphics and no voice-acting? What the hell were reviewers smoking? Unless they were smoking hundred-dollar bills from all that Nintendo payola.

:P

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I would rather ask why OoT is rated so high. Blocky as shit graphics and no voice-acting? What the hell were reviewers smoking? Unless they were smoking hundred-dollar bills from all that Nintendo payola.

:P

hahah yes so true

Around the Network

Even though I firmly believe that fun is the main factor of making a game "good", I must say I think it's because of the Mario name.
However the game is somewhat groundbreaking, with the gravity aspects etc. so that in addition to many other factors (like the game is actually good) makes users put high scores.

If games were based on their stories, then RPGs would dominate the gaming market. Alas, they don't.
Super Mario Galaxy was a very refreshing experience for me, and I would give it a 9.5/10. However, in the end, aren't we all biased?

because SMG is 3D platforming perfection

It's rated highly because it's a outstanding game.

Mario games are not about graphics (which btw. Galaxy looks awesome) and story, it is about gameplay!!! Mario games have always been about great platforming gameplay and Galaxy does not disappoint. It is my first 3D mario that I actually plan to buy (in retail form) - it is an amazing game that deserved the reviews it got, and OP you said you loved the game, I don't understand how you can't think it deserves the scores it got, it boggles my mind that you would be so shallow as to factor in graphics (which again are amazing for the Wii) and story into you opinion of a Mario game.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.