By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why is super mario galaxy rated so high over all?

TWRoO said:
Soriku said:
Samus Aran said:
First of all, Miyamoto doesn't WANT a story in Mario games, so if he says no, it's NO. Mario doesn't need a story, it would make the game LESS GOOD. Besides, bad graphics? The game has great graphics and design art. Seriously, this topic is full of fail.

Why is MGS4 rated so high? You have more cutscenes then gameplay.
Why is GTA4 rated so high? It's worse then gta: san andreas.

Answer those 2 questions please.

Not really. I mean just look at the Paper Mario games. They don't have the best stories, but they're better than SMG (and PM games are better than SMG :))

Yeah but look at Kingdom Hearts games, they have stories and are terrible games. (hopefully you see what I did there and realise why what you said is silly)

to me its the exact opposite they are good games but don't have any story.

the storyline is just disney movies glued together and you have to help them out.

Around the Network

Image Censored View at own risk!                 <- That this thread.

Soriku said:
TWRoO said:
Soriku said:
Samus Aran said:
First of all, Miyamoto doesn't WANT a story in Mario games, so if he says no, it's NO. Mario doesn't need a story, it would make the game LESS GOOD. Besides, bad graphics? The game has great graphics and design art. Seriously, this topic is full of fail.

Not really. I mean just look at the Paper Mario games. They don't have the best stories, but they're better than SMG (and PM games are better than SMG :))

Yeah but look at Kingdom Hearts games, they have stories and are terrible games. (hopefully you see what I did there and realise why what you said is silly)

Lies.

All I'm saying is a story like PM's wouldn't make it worse...

Isn't paper mario an rpg though?(Haven't played it, but saw some vids on it)

Rpg games need a story imo, but platformers not so much. When I play SMG I really don't think "man, I want a story"

Galaxy transcends story telling. Mario has been around since the early 80's and storytelling shouldn't ever be a measure of its quality. Also given the hardware, the graphics are superb but the deal breaker is the art style and overall creativity. How many games have you jumping on giant apples with a worm leading to the end of them?

Actually ignore the above, it's obviously because it has Super Mario in the name.

Pixel Art can be fun.

The high ratings on Game Rankings/ Metacritic don't determine which game is the best of all time. I bet, on every single site that gave Mario Galaxy such high scores, there are other games that did just as well, if not better. All Game Rankings and Metacritic do is show that among all of the sites/media outlets, Mario Galaxy scored highly all across the board. It may not be the best game of all time (as this is a matter of taste), but I agree with the scores it got. The game was golden.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
TWRoO said:
Soriku said:
Samus Aran said:

Lies.

All I'm saying is a story like PM's wouldn't make it worse...

Yes it would, we would be constantly interupted from the sublime platforming to read big chunks of text.

Reviewers have a bias against the wii.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
twesterm said:
Because it's fun?

this.

TX109 said:
twesterm said:
Because it's fun?

this.

Games that don't have HD graphics can't be fun...

Graphics and story are not everything!! I can beat both the original Mario Bros (NES) and Maniac Mansion in under 10 minutes, but I would still rather play those games than any game on the Wii, PS3, or 360. Mario Galaxy is fun to play and that is what matters the most. Take Ratchet and Clank, I found the game enjoyable the story was quite a bit better than SMG and the graphics were pretty damn nice on my 52inch 1080p, but the game just did not have the fun factor that SMG has.