By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony - Our PS3 motion controller trumps Wii/Wii MotionPlus

“When we talked with Dr. Richard Marks... one thing that he explained that got him the most excited and was the hardest to make sure everyone else 'got' was that little block demo and being able to accurately depict depth of field. That's what's missing in the Wii, even with Wii MotionPlus, that other axis. So that's going to be difficult to do without a controller. He was like, 'We've already done hands-free control with EyeToy, and what we found in that phase was that buttons ended up becoming necessary.' So what he was excited about was that I could actually go [into the direction of the screen] and have that ability to reach into something accurately.” - SCEA's Scott Rohde

Link

from go nintendo

Around the Network

Well... if only it'd work without the PS eye. Otherwise, yes, it does trump WM+.

We will see when we find out what the full version is like.

Because a lack of analogue stick was disturbing.

It's a direct ripoff with slightly better functionality, and no new or innovative features whatsoever.

Why would anyone at Sony even bring up the Wii?

Supposedly they aren't competing, as says Sony's PR, and also, if I was Sony, I would be ashamed of acknowledging the Wii's existance. It's like the Vii saying they have a better looking console than the Wii because it has a clock on it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Xen said:
Well... if only it'd work without the PS eye. Otherwise, yes, it does trump WM+.

The ps eye already does motion control without the "wand", but they are talking about the precise controls wii motion plus adds to the wii, the combination of the wand and the ps eye adds that "depth of field of the other axis" that sony is talking about.

mM
Around the Network

they might be right,,,they might be wrong.We will find out in spring 2010

ZenfoldorVGI said:
It's a direct ripoff with slightly better functionality, and no new or innovative features whatsoever.

Supposedly they aren't competing, as says Sony's PR, and also, if I was Sony, I would be ashamed of acknowledging the Wii's existance. It's like the Vii saying they have a better looking console than the Wii because it has a clock on it.

Yes it was a rip off, and its not innovative at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ

also they were asked the question.. what do you want them to respond with? Oh the wii does not exist in our world?

mM
leo-j said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yes it was a rip off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbSzmRt7HhQ

also they were asked the question.. what do you want them to respond with? Oh the wii does not exist in our world?

You think this would be coming out if the Wii doesn't make a mint, and Sony was trying to get a piece?

You want to know when motion controls were invented? Before the wheel.

You want to know why the "PS3 motion controller" exists, and is coming out?

Guess.

And Sony could have just kept their mouths shut instead of again feeling the need to arrogantly insult their far superior(and yes, Nintendo as a competitor and a company is far, far superior to Sony, in marketing, business, and every other quantifiable measure) competitor who rarely mentions them, and who they are ripping off. That's one route they could have taken. No?

I become deservedly pissed off when people try to take credit for Nintendo's motion control revolution this generation. Motion controls are part of gaming now, all gaming, PS3 and otherwise, and that is directly because of Nintendo. Just because someone had a vague idea for the device before Nintendo recreated and popularized it, does not mean they deserve any credit.

Same thing goes for gaming. Something else Nintendo reinvented and popularized. Also, handheld gaming.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@Zen

Yes I do think that would have been coming out if the Wii wasnt as successful as it was, because the PS EYE released despite the EYE TOY not being very successful to begin with. The technology shown in the video also has very little to do with the Wii's motion controls.

The technology has been on the works for a long time ever since the original eye toy release, I really cannot predict if sony would release something like that into the industry, but for you to say they are holding this industry back is a hilarity(I am talking about the comment you left Garnett), and just shows how ignorant you can be.

mM

Nitty just got BURNED!!!!!

ZenfolodorVGI is right, The PS mote is aWii mote knock off. Not troll again but its true,Natal is close as well.