By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony - Our PS3 motion controller trumps Wii/Wii MotionPlus

ZenfoldorVGI said:
IxisNaugus said:
Whether it's better or not really isn't the point now is it...

If my friend makes a pie for a cookoff, and I steal his recipie, make the same pie he makes, and put a cherry on top of mine that he didn't have on his, my pie would be better....but I don't think I would have the gaull to go around flaunting the quality of my pie after I stole his recipie.

Hell, he didn't invent pie....but his pie sure was delicious, so I had to copy it if I wanted any chance of winning, didn't I?

Arrogantly gloating in front of him might piss him off though, and he has every right to be. It wasn't fair what I did, and he'll always have the ability to make new and better pies, but since I'm just a fraud who copied his good idea, I'm less likely to be able to come up with my own recipies in the future.

Even if I win the whole cookoff, I really lost.

Great analogy, and you've been spot on with every post in this thread.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

@ Zen. I see what you're saying, i was just pointing out that this guy is shallow and ignorant to the brighter star here... these Sony PR's or representatives can babble all they want about how they're better, or they've done this right, or how their machine has such and such, but it's not going to do much good really, it's not going to change anything... people aren't going to suddenly jump up and say "Hey, Sony's motion device is better than the Wii Remote and Motion Plus, guess we all should buy PS3's and Wand's now huh."

How technical is your game?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
IxisNaugus said:
Whether it's better or not really isn't the point now is it...

If my friend makes a pie for a cookoff, and I steal his recipie, make the same pie he makes, and put a cherry on top of mine that he didn't have on his, my pie would be better....but I don't think I would have the gaull to go around flaunting the quality of my pie after I stole his recipie.

Hell, he didn't invent pie....but his pie sure was delicious, so I had to copy it if I wanted any chance of winning, didn't I?

Arrogantly gloating in front of him might piss him off though, and he has every right to be. It wasn't fair what I did, and he'll always have the ability to make new and better pies, but since I'm just a fraud who copied his good idea, I'm less likely to be able to come up with my own recipies in the future.

Even if I win the whole cookoff, I really lost.

Except these two companies aren't friends, they are competitors, so the circumstances are different.

They might feel a bit guilty, but I doubt they are losing any sleep worrying if they hurt Nintendo's feelings.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
angrypoolman said:

sony had more than just video games in mind when they added blu ray into their system; they had a format war to win. and i think they made the right decision even though their system is in last place. they finally created a new format that is a success and is actually the new standard. so props to them for doing that.

the only problem is that they arent really good at like... making video games.

I think they are good at making games, they are just really bad at business in general.

As far as the format war, yeah, Sony had the format war in mind when they added the BR. They didn't care if the Playstation crashed and burned, because if BR caught on because of it, Sony would become vastly more profitable.

I look upon that decision as a betreyal. They didn't care if the Playstation failed, and all of us gamers got screwed, as long as Blu-Ray lived on they could just write us off.

It's not secret I dislike Sony(but like the PS3). That jades my opinions, but above is what I truely believe.

wow, you are totally right about it basically being a betrayal. i always understood why they added bluray, i just never looked at it that way before.

thats why i always tell people, you cant trust sony and microsoft. theyre in this industry because they saw that there was money in it. nintendo is the only company you can trust because video games is all they have. if video games goes down, so does nintendo.

and leo-j left the building. lol.

i can see why though, he was wrong and the nintendo people were right.

Around the Network

where does he mention the controller is better than Wii motion plus?

Motion-wise I guess so, but it needs desperately an analog stick.

It's sad to realize that Nintendo's competitors to this day have still not learned their lesson, and are both going in a technological war, which is missing the point by a mile.
It's nearly frightening to witness them miss the point since before the Wii's launch.
Obviously, people want entertainment, and these guys are all stuck in technology like nerds.
Well, at least the doctor will be happy with his wiimote like creation, this is a nerd thing. But I don't think it will work. Natal is the exact same nonsense.
I thought Sony understood this already, they had the same problem in several markets : plasma vs LCD, ATRAC vs MP3, ...
Oh well! I expect both competitors to do a 2006-2008 again, being shocked that their products, better than the Nintendo product that they don't compete against, doesn't sell like the one of Nintendo that they don't compete against anyway.

leo-j said:
Xen said:
Well... if only it'd work without the PS eye. Otherwise, yes, it does trump WM+.

The ps eye already does motion control without the "wand", but they are talking about the precise controls wii motion plus adds to the wii, the combination of the wand and the ps eye adds that "depth of field of the other axis" that sony is talking about.

And happens to be something the Wii with WM+ can in fact do.... the only difference eing you don't have to be in the field of view of the PSeye.

The WM+ can assume 1 position as "zero" and then work out any motion in direction or rotation from that point..... working out what the "zero" point is can be a simple as pressing a button when required, or a quick flash of the sensor bar across the IR camera, or indeed holding it still for a second or two.

The only reason Sony could argue it is telling the truth is that there isn't really a "field" as such for Wii motions unless your motions involve you pointing at the sensor bar often enough.... wheras the "field" of the PSeye is always going to be the same.... other than that it is complete bunk

The problem with the Wiimote is that it's genuinely gimped. I doesn't work the way it's supposed to. So if Sony want to make a rip off that actually works then they should and I will enjoy it.