By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't we see more N64 ports on the DS?

because nintendo should put more effort in creating new ips and next gen iterations of their old games. 64 ports arent bad, but i dont want it to take away from other projects.

Around the Network

I think its probably laziness over anything. I agree that it would be awesome to see alot of games from that generation on DS though. You guys are definately right 3D is way under-used on DS. I love good looking 2D games but DS games should be mostly in 3D. Its alot more powerful than people think I bet.

I don't think third parties make too much money on there DS games and thats probably why there isnt very many that really use full power. Just support high quality games, and maybe we'll see more.

Theres no reason why nintendo wouldn't port over some 64 games but I think I'd rather see some brand new ones out of them.

Support good third party games on wii. Buy games like house of the dead overkill, de blob, madworld, the conduit and boom blox.

I'd rather not see that many recycled games.

"I think its probably laziness over anything."

No. Porting even to 5th gen systems is not that easy. For one thing, the DS uses fixed point math, while most consoles and systems use fixed point. That means the entire calculation system would have to be rewritten.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

KylieDog said:
Why go to the effort to make 3D DS games when a 2D games or similar are selling?

1. This is about ports from the N64, not 3D games in general.

2. 3D games sell. Try looking at the DS charts.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Pretendo said:
The ability to have 3D on DS is so underused. It's dissapointing makes perfect sense.

And rightfully so.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Underutilisation of 3D is one thing but lack of N64 ports is another. In many circles ports are seen as a poor option and a sure sign that developers are running short on ideas or unwilling to take risks with new IP's. I would think that the relatively low development costs on the DS mean that developers are more likely to try something new as they have much less to lose than the do on the home consoles and hence have less need to use ports as a crutch.

I would LOVE to see Ogre Battle 64 on the DS *sigh*

Well, how many of those 64 games will actually play well with no analog stick?

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

LordTheNightKnight said:
"I think its probably laziness over anything."

No. Porting even to 5th gen systems is not that easy. For one thing, the DS uses fixed point math, while most consoles and systems use fixed point. That means the entire calculation system would have to be rewritten.

You said fixed point for both.  I'm guessing you meant one or the other uses floating point.  Which one?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)