By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

^^@IxixNaugus
It all depends on the definition of hardcore, which is pointless imo.
Even lawnbowling or snakes 'n ladders can be hardcore depending on how it's played, so that word sadly has little meaning to me.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
9Chiba said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
IxisNaugus said:
@ TX109. Seriously, don't bother. The guy thinks Mario isn't core. It was at that point i realized he is a lost cause. He made ridiculous claims and dodged multiple questions, he is grossly misinformed and is clearly ignorant to the bigger picture.

On topic: I don't know where some people in the previous pages are getting this notion that the PSP is more "hardcore" than the DS or has more core games. I hope someone is willing to elaborate, because i am not aware of the sense in that.

Mario games are casual titles with a hardcore following. Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core. Hell...there barely was a core during its creation.

dude, dont spout bullshit when you clearly havent played the game (yes, im calling bullshit on your games collection)

What game exactly? I've played Mario 1-3, Super Mario World, Super Mario on the Game boy, Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine when I had the Gamecube! WTF are you talking about? I've even played the Mario Party games such as Mario Party and Mario Kart on the Gamecube and the N64 and you don't know what i've played. The only thing you are spewing is a disbelief in what I have to say. You're not debunking shit.

BoleroOfFire said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

How exactly is my post sexist? I am stating a fact that Nintendo made clear to the world last year at E3. If you want to call anyone sexist...tell that to Nintendo. Females are becoming a major force in the sales of casual titles and party games on Nintendo.

"It doesn't appeal to women. 'Nuff Said. Look at the sales similarities between the Wii and the DS and you'll see what I mean. The DS and Wii sales are nearly 50/50 in male and female ratio in sales. The PSP is dominantly male and core oriented....which attributes to its lower sales. I like the PSP more, but I can understand why it's being manhandled. Sony is also making an even greater mistake, by selling a more expensive PSP to casuals, while putting LBP, MGS and GT PSP at the helm."

I'm not explaining that again.  See earlier posts on this page.  

Furthermore, giving a breakdown of the percentage of owners that are female does not make Nintendo sexist.  

The PSP doesn't majorly appeal to women. As I said, core gamers are few and dominantly male, but there are core female players. The DS majorly appeals to women of a wide variety of gages. Nothing I said was sexist. Nintendo isn't sexist either. There is a reason more females play Nintendo games than Playstation and Nintendo delivers more casual quality on the DS and especially the Wii. How many times i've been in a store and seem women clawing for Wii fit? I cannot even count.

Xoj said:
it appeals to girls.

i have some friends that squee at the thought of dissidia, and crisis core (angelic, and geneva are her names).

geneva also likes tekken and have a psp herself.

I know girls who have FF Crisis core and a PSP as well. They also love anime, have a crush on Cloud, Zack or Sephiroth and to top it off, they are core RPG players. Now are you say that these women represent the same type of women buying games on Nintendo? Hell...I've even seen women who can rip your head off in Halo, but those are few and far between compared to the majority whom buy casual games.

@Ixis : As there are more casual games on DS, you can say the DS is 'more casual', but it doesn't mean it has less hardcore games than PSP, it has around the same number when I look at metareviews... So yeah, it's misleading.

One thing is on the technical side, the PSP is more advanced, which hardcore gamers generally like, but it doesn't make it really more 'hardcore'. We can just say that games like MGS don't seem possible on DS. Still, you've got a GTA game on DS...

I know I'm more attracted to the PSP due to its higher technical specs and due to it being closer to PS2 in games... Still, DS looks nice to me too even on the hardcore side of things (many great games on it).

Around the Network
IxisNaugus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
IxisNaugus said:
@ TX109. Seriously, don't bother. The guy thinks Mario isn't core. It was at that point i realized he is a lost cause. He made ridiculous claims and dodged multiple questions, he is grossly misinformed and is clearly ignorant to the bigger picture.

On topic: I don't know where some people in the previous pages are getting this notion that the PSP is more "hardcore" than the DS or has more core games. I hope someone is willing to elaborate, because i am not aware of the sense in that.

Mario games are casual titles with a hardcore following. Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core. Hell...there barely was a core during its creation.

What do you mean Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core? I'm lost here, please clear things up. Mario titles provide a slick, well crafted experience that millions enjoy and respect. Exactly why do you think Mario has a hardcore following? The titles have obviously proved their worth, do you think they are rated highly for no reason? In fact, going by what you say, GTA is under the same roof isn't it, and Final Fantasy... and everything else!

My question has still fallen on deaf ears it seems. No one has explained to me how the PSP is more hardcore than the DS.

As I said before, there was barely a hardcore audience at the time the first Mario was out. Mario is a casual mascot, aimed to suck casuals and children into the realm of videogames (IE: Like they did with me). He is put in cartoons, books as a image of what Nintendo has to offer. Mario titles are well crafted, but they are created to generated new gamers and also hold onto the attention of those who have grown with Mario. When I say a hardcore following, I am stating that the brand has loyalists, who find quality in the product and will play it in a more challenging manner than say casuals who will just play from beginning to end. These loyalists will find all the secret rooms and all that the game has to offer. Casuals....do not care to do type of thing. Final Fantasy is a JRPG, which takes strategy. You need to put things into their proper categories. When you say casual...you think anything that is popular. No! Stop that. A casual title, is a 'pick up and play' game that is crafted intentionally to catch the eye of non-gamers. A game that can be played within an instant without having to learn sixteen to eighteen buttons and you can be on your way to having fun. It doesn't provide and intermediate challenge, unless one seeks to progress or one cares to see all there is to see in that game.

The PSP is more hardcore than the DS, because it doesn't have too many games that appeal to casuals. It has the gorier, grittier, mature titles. It has intermediate level games or higher at best with few casual titles. The DS is a great portable that has way more games that casuals can "pick up and play" along with games that hardcore can play as well. Except on the flip side, theres less of a percentage of hardcore games on that portable. As one person said before...for every hardcore game, there are five casual games on the DS. Nintendo has always thought of everyone and not just the hardcore. This is what everyone seems to forget.

mario64 said:
@Ixis : As there are more casual games on DS, you can say the DS is 'more casual', but it doesn't mean it has less hardcore games than PSP, it has around the same number when I look at metareviews... So yeah, it's misleading.

One thing is on the technical side, the PSP is more advanced, which hardcore gamers generally like, but it doesn't make it really more 'hardcore'. We can just say that games like MGS don't seem possible on DS. Still, you've got a GTA game on DS...

I know I'm more attracted to the PSP due to its higher technical specs and due to it being closer to PS2 in games... Still, DS looks nice to me too even on the hardcore side of things (many great games on it).

....and I still wonder why GTA sold like shit on the DS. Thats the lowest selling GTA game ever.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PSP is more hardcore than the DS, because it doesn't have too many games that appeal to casuals. It has the gorier, grittier, mature titles. It has intermediate level games or higher at best with few casual titles. The DS is a great portable that has way more games that casuals can "pick up and play" along with games that hardcore can play as well. Except on the flip side, theres less of a percentage of hardcore games on that portable. As one person said before...for every hardcore game, there are five casual games on the DS. Nintendo has always thought of everyone and not just the hardcore. This is what everyone seems to forget.

Well, that statement is very true.  And yes, the company that targets a wider audience is going to get more sales.  Seem the intelligent way to go to me.  But, you miss that for every 'hardcore' title on the PSP, there are three on the DS.  I think both systems are 'hardcore'.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

killeryoshis said:
Hawk said:
digitalentourage said:
Hawk said:
digitalentourage said:
I think that the DS, along with the wii, are in a land of their own, they are not so much Video Game platforms anymore as they are straight up electronic toys. They are surely still fantastic devices, and do offer a rich gaming experience, I just think it's overshadowed by the other.

I highly disagree with you on that.  The Wii and the DS are the only Video Game Platforms anymore.  They are the only system focused purely on gaming.  The PSP and HD consoles are drifting towards being more multi-media systems.

if you think brain age, wii fit, wii sports and wii music count as gaming, you're horrible incorrect.

Also, wii vitality.

lets not forget my cooking coach.

How are they not games? Just because they are not appealing to you. If that was true than
all "games" are not games.

Oh yeah, in my mistakenly responding to this post thinking it was a different post of digitalentourage, I forgot to actually address this one. 

I see your point why you would say Wii and DS are expanding into other realms beyond just a gaming system like the other two consoles.  With Wii Fit at any rate.  Because it also is used to exercise and monitor weight.  But they are all games, it's quite odd you don't understand that.  And you saying the DS and Wii, which can do more than video games systems of the past, are now lowered to a straight up electronic toy, is just your attempt to debase them because they do not hold your personal interest. 

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well, that statement is very true.  And yes, the company that targets a wider audience is going to get more sales.  Seem the intelligent way to go to me.  But, you miss that for every 'hardcore' title on the PSP, there are three on the DS.  I think both systems are 'hardcore'.

Of course the DS has more games. That is not disputed. It doesn't even matter if they have more hardcore games. The PSP is essentially a system which has more hardcore games than casual, thus aimed at the hardcore.