By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

mai said:

Despite no one was able to provide any definition of "core" people still using it in, manipulating it in favour of own arguments ^_^

Well, I stick with traditional definition that is true for any industry and I believe that was initial meaning of the word. Though later it became a catchy word among various gamers blogs, forums etc. and now some people even use it as a mesure of appreciation (i.e. core = good, smart, complex, casual = bad, dumb, simple etc.). As we may see term definition was watered down in favour of own arguments, and it no longer can be used as smth that universally accepted. It really doesn't matter how you label certain phenomena. But it's vital to define it, if you want to help others understand you, otherwise you may arguing over different matters.

One of the possible and most common definitions... Core customer is a customer who spend relatively more on purchasing certain group of products compared to other customers at a given period of time. Yeah, that easy. To further explanations...

Those (core) are usually satisfied and as a result - returning customers. Speaking about gaming industry we may say that there're a core cutomers of certain gaming franchise (really, any will do... Madden, Pokemon, Imagine series etc.), as well as gaming in general. For instance, core customers of Imagine series are young girls, teenage boys and young males are core customers of Madden franchise etc. If we take gaming in general, teenage boys and young male usually represent returning, core customers with high brand loyalty. While females and older male and female customers at this point usually belongs to expanded audience for gaming in general. Every industry building up it's customer base on core customers, as well every industry looking for ways to expand it's influence, otherwise it dies. Industry evolving at faster pace if it accumulates a lot of returning, satisfied, i.e. core customers that buys product more often, spending more cash. At the same time surviving only on core customers could be problematic, casual customers is the key for growth due to their massive amount. Eventually some of the casual customers could be transformed into core if they'll found a product, that they've used casually, appealing enough to spend some extra money on it.* All of this is kinda obvious, isn't it?

You may use this definition if you like or make your own and use it in favour your own arguments ;) For example, here's one of the effect of this definition... according to what I've said above, you may not for sure say that PSP is monopolizing core gamers. In fact it could be vice-versa actually as long as DS attach rate > PSP attach rate (obviously DS users buys more software per unit, so they're in general "more core" than PSP users).

//*And I hope it will eventually happen in gaming industry thanks to the work that has been done in these few years. New audience will eventually form a NEW demand that should be satisfied, wiping out a great amount of traditional games, traditional gameplay and traditional themes in games. And gaming industry, gaming culture wouldn't be considerend as a bunch of adolescent, pubertal idiots for outsiders. Radical way, but hey... it's a revolution after all ;)

you know thats mainly due the high piracy right?.

PSP had games like god of war and crisis core to hit over 2 million. and GTA over 5.

Around the Network

Xoj said:

you know thats mainly due the high piracy right?.

I was waiting for this excuse to pop up and voila =) Well, as DS and PSP owner I may say for sure.. if PSP is higly pirated platform, then DS as well. In fact DS is could be pirated much easier than PSP. Furthermore, if that was the case of piracy X360 attach rate should be much lower than PS3 attach rate, but it's not. But you may state your point once again with different arguments ;) Go on.

Yea piracy is definitely a huge problem with the PSP, I am surprised to see any game go over a million. I can't believe the new Monster Hunter has sold as much as it did.

Falcon095 said:
RolStoppable said:
Samus Aran said:
The reason why DS has sold so much is because Ninty dominates the handheld market. They also brought the most innovative handheld to the market that appeals to everyone and not just core gamers. Women who play more non core games IS one of the reason, but it sure as hell is not the only one.

The reason Sony WON was because they had DVD and Ninty used those dumb small cd's. Playstation was also a big brandname already and Nintendo was stuck with a kiddy brand. Most people who bought a ps1 bought a ps2 for those reasons. Microsoft didn't stand a change with it's xbox because it was new to the market. I hope I have enlighted you.

Ps: This is just my opinion on the matter. In no way am I saying this is the only truth out there.

You packed a lot of stupidity in this post.

Domination in previous generations isn't a guarantee for future victories, that should be pretty obvious especially when you look at the recent example of the PS3. Your second sentence does make sense and your third one is just elaborating.

The type of optical media didn't have a lot to do with the results of the previous generation. It pushed PS2 sales a little bit in Japan early on, because it happened to be the cheapest DVD player at the time. Once the PS2 was released in the rest of the world, this advantage was gone (standalone players already cheaper), so the impact of DVD on PS2 sales is negligible. You don't think so? Well, the Gamecube was released in Japan with DVD playback (Panasonic Q) and that didn't help at all, so it was never released in the Western markets. *EDIT: The Xbox also had DVD playback.*

The PlayStation brandname and the kiddy image of Nintendo didn't help/hurt a lot this generation, now did they? Your excuse for Microsoft is also very, very questionable. Nintendo and Sony dominated the market with their first consoles.

Now that that is done, why are there more male core gamers than female core gamers? Simply because the industry shaped itself this way, by putting content into the games that appeals to males and often puts off females. Violence, gore, female characters degraded to sex symbols. Franchises like The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy don't have problems to attract females.

And then there's the old saying that "Girls don't want to be space ships".

His name is Samus Aran and he hasn't played Super Metroid. Just figure it out.

Then why do I own Super Metroid? Because I found it boring I haven't played it? Please don't be so stupid like that as I hate it. Before you post something stupid then please look at someones gaming collection before you go an make stupid conclusions and don't make your self like like an ass.

I know why playstation won and it's because of the decision of Nintendo to stay with cartridges and they were way to though on 3rd party games that they lost a lot of support. Making games on cartridges is a lot more expensive, it has less memory,etc Pretty much every company who won a gen before, also won the next gen. Why would those 100 million ps1 owners go back to the gamecube instead of the ps2? They have little to no reason to do that as Gamecube wasn't the most innovative thing. You can say the same about playstation, but atleast it had DVD and the 3rd party support. And of course it's not guaranteed that if a company wins a gen, it will also next gen... Heck, look at what happenend to Nintendo and Sony. They both won 2 gens and lost at the third. I call it arrogance... I'm pretty sure Nintendo never expected for the playstation to become that popular and vice versa... Let's remember the days before the wii was launched. Pretty much everybody thought Sony was going to win, I even remember an april fools article saying that the wii would win and those comments on that article are very FUNNY to read now. I'm pretty sure most people expect Nintendo to win next gen. Is it guarenteed? No, this market has too much surprises and competition for that. But do they have the most chance? I have to say yes on this one. I'd put my money on the thing that has most change to win, I don't know about you, but that's what I would do. Does that mean it's going to won? Who knows, wait and see :)

Nintendo lost 3rd party support and they did nothing to regain that during the Gamecube. Heck, I'm pretty sure Nintendo knew they were going to lose with the gamecube before they even launched that thing, preparing themself for something huge the next gen.

Your name is Falcon and you just got Falcon punched. Go figure THAT ONE out.

I dont remember anyone saying this, the DS this gen = GOD.

Although i prefer my PSP over my DS, mainly do to my PSP having better graphics and doubles as an MP3 player and better exclusives.

Still the DS is truly great.

Around the Network

Psp having better exclusives? That's the first time I hear that one. Perhaps they have better exclusives that you like.

^- *sigh* Uhm, yeah? do i have to state "IMO" when its obivous?

Yes because the way you stated it, it was like a fact. It's like saying yes when you mean no.

Right... well i tried making it as obvious as i could.

Guess thats not enough, so i'll try to keep that in mind..

S.T.A.G.E. said:
IxisNaugus said:
@ TX109. Seriously, don't bother. The guy thinks Mario isn't core. It was at that point i realized he is a lost cause. He made ridiculous claims and dodged multiple questions, he is grossly misinformed and is clearly ignorant to the bigger picture.

On topic: I don't know where some people in the previous pages are getting this notion that the PSP is more "hardcore" than the DS or has more core games. I hope someone is willing to elaborate, because i am not aware of the sense in that.

Mario games are casual titles with a hardcore following. Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core. Hell...there barely was a core during its creation.

What do you mean Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core? I'm lost here, please clear things up. Mario titles provide a slick, well crafted experience that millions enjoy and respect. Exactly why do you think Mario has a hardcore following? The titles have obviously proved their worth, do you think they are rated highly for no reason? In fact, going by what you say, GTA is under the same roof isn't it, and Final Fantasy... and everything else!

My question has still fallen on deaf ears it seems. No one has explained to me how the PSP is more hardcore than the DS.

How technical is your game?