By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

Wait, people still expected the PSP to surpass the Nintendo DS at this point?

Around the Network
digitalentourage said:

I think people are getting the wrong idea out of my post.. i'll make some small post here to try and explain better.

If you're a parent, buying your 6 year old daughter a game console, what do you get? Wii and DS.
When hes 10, what do you get XB360. wii.

I would assume half of the people who own a ds are under 15.
25% around 8-14.
(Western world)

why? price, brand recognition, saturatio of shovelware.

PSP GTA:China town wars..? I'm not too sure, its too kiddy in its graphics to appeal to most GTA fans, but maybe.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5165®ion=All is the highest selling portable core game.

EDIT: That is fine, I gamed when I was that age too, but let me tell you this, I never thought of which console to get based on the quality of the core games it had, even though I only played core games.. my parents just bought what was advertised more i guess.

i've read enough of your post. this is just ridiculous.

i am so sick and tired of hearing about how nintendo is only for babies and non-gamers..... my first console was a genesis. i have been gaming for most of my life.... i think i'm core enough. guess what my console of choice this gen was? wii.

you can call me whatever you want (ignorant, dumb fanboy, etc.), but your generalisations are just so ridiculous that they can no longer be ignored. it is true that wii and ds appeal more to casual gamers than core gamers, but there are tons of good core games on both systems. just look at all the great RPGs the ds has.

you think madworld would have done around 2 million on 360. tell me where your proof of this is. madworld didn't sell well because it was a niche game, too strange for the general populace to understand. chinatown wars is selling slow, but its still selling.... it will reach at least 1 mil. don't even get me started on RE4/UC and star wars: force unleashed.

in another earlier post you called the wii just an electronic toy. where the hell do you get off saying that? all video games are "just toys"! this goes beyond just an analysis and has become downright insulting.

/rant. sorry for going so far off track.  

I will be the first one to admit though that metroid would have less charm then it has now for me if Samus was a man.

I'd rather look at an attractive girl then an ugly one on my screen though XD even though you only see her at the very end for 5 seconds or something. Her major gripe was that she was blonde for some reason.

Zucas said:
Samus Aran said:
Must have read his post(the sexist one) wrong then. Sorry for that :)

And funny how you mention Metroid. I know a girl that played metroid a long time ago and I said her that Samus was a girl. She was surprised, but liked the game more because of it untill she saw the hot chick at the end though... She was pissed then XD

Well of course she's hot under the mask.  But for the most party, you see a female trapping her beauty away in a power suit and kicking all this ass.  I doubt most would mind to find out later that she is attractive but point being it is a strong female character that is liked not because of her beauty but because of her attitude and strength.  Not to many female characters in the gaming world like that. 

I agree with you again.  I was originally drawn to Metroid because I love platformers.  Finding out that Samus is a female was an added bonus.  There aren't too many strong female characters like her around.  Especially ones that cover up.  I also like Zelda but am not too fond of Peach.  The latter just plays the typical damsel in distress role.  The former, though she also has a tendency to get captured, is a fighter.  That doesn't mean that games starring males don't appeal to women/girls.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Hawk said:
digitalentourage said:
Hawk said:
digitalentourage said:
I think that the DS, along with the wii, are in a land of their own, they are not so much Video Game platforms anymore as they are straight up electronic toys. They are surely still fantastic devices, and do offer a rich gaming experience, I just think it's overshadowed by the other.

I highly disagree with you on that.  The Wii and the DS are the only Video Game Platforms anymore.  They are the only system focused purely on gaming.  The PSP and HD consoles are drifting towards being more multi-media systems.

if you think brain age, wii fit, wii sports and wii music count as gaming, you're horrible incorrect.

Also, wii vitality.

lets not forget my cooking coach.

How are they not games? Just because they are not appealing to you. If that was true than
all "games" are not games.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

@ TX109. Seriously, don't bother. The guy thinks Mario isn't core. It was at that point i realized he is a lost cause. He made ridiculous claims and dodged multiple questions, he is grossly misinformed and is clearly ignorant to the bigger picture.

On topic: I don't know where some people in the previous pages are getting this notion that the PSP is more "hardcore" than the DS or has more core games. I hope someone is willing to elaborate, because i am not aware of the sense in that.

How technical is your game?

IxisNaugus said:
@ TX109. Seriously, don't bother. The guy thinks Mario isn't core. It was at that point i realized he is a lost cause. He made ridiculous claims and dodged multiple questions, he is grossly misinformed and is clearly ignorant to the bigger picture.

On topic: I don't know where some people in the previous pages are getting this notion that the PSP is more "hardcore" than the DS or has more core games. I hope someone is willing to elaborate, because i am not aware of the sense in that.

you're right.... i just wanted to get my voice out.... this guy seemed especially irritating, especially when he was trying to come across as unbiased.

PSP is succesful as it is in terms of hardware, Software sales in the west are a disaster. But as a platform they are doing well while being distant second to DS, which is the most popular platform ever.

IxisNaugus said:

Mario games are casual titles with a hardcore following. Mario's concept and reason for being isn't aimed at the core. Hell...there barely was a core during its creation.

BoleroOfFire said:

I agree with the first part.  Don't see how that makes what Zucas said wrong.  The OP was sexist.  

Disagree with the second part.  Nintendo still had a kiddy image at the start of this gen.  Sony had the PS brand name behind it.  That didn't stop them from switching roles.  I do not feel enlightened and want my money back.  

How exactly is my post sexist? I am stating a fact that Nintendo made clear to the world last year at E3. If you want to call anyone sexist...tell that to Nintendo. Females are becoming a major force in the sales of casual titles and party games on Nintendo.