By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The reason the PSP will never surpass the DS

@dahuman : I think the PSP Go will sell well, but I may be wrong. You should wait for the PSP Go sales before making PSP Go doom posts, otherwise we'll start PS6 doom threads when the PS4 launches. ;)

It's just not aimed at kids or teens. It's portable and looks nice, I think it will be enough to convince high wage people who like tech, I know many people who will buy one.

I will buy one too, day one.

50 million PSP sold is clearly a success for Sony by the way, after all it's nearly twice more than the numbers of 360 sold, and isn't the 360 a success for MS ?

Around the Network
TX109 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The PSP is more hardcore than the DS, because it doesn't have too many games that appeal to casuals. It has the gorier, grittier, mature titles. It has intermediate level games or higher at best with few casual titles. The DS is a great portable that has way more games that casuals can "pick up and play" along with games that hardcore can play as well. Except on the flip side, theres less of a percentage of hardcore games on that portable. As one person said before...for every hardcore game, there are five casual games on the DS. Nintendo has always thought of everyone and not just the hardcore. This is what everyone seems to forget.

basically what i get every time i read a post form you is this: if it's not packed with gore, titties, and excessive cursing, it's casual.

say what you will, but the early mario games were quite challenging. back then casual appeal wasn't what it is today. super mario bros. on the NES sold over 40 million not because it was casual, but because it was a good game. also as far as SMG goes, you said it yourself, there is enough material for hardcores (...loyalists, who find quality in the product and will play it in a more challenging manner... will find all the secret rooms and all that the game has to offer.)

as i stated before, i have had enough of t3h hardc0rez looking down on the wii because not every game has a mature rating. yes, nintendo appeals more to casuals. that does not mean you can't find a "hardcore" experience on the wii or ds. it's true that the PSP has a higher percentage of core games than the DS, but when you take a good look at each handheld's library, you notice that the DS has a much higher quantity of core games.

I'm not here to bash the PSP, i own one myself and think it is a fine machine. however, you are sorely mistaken if you think you can find a greater number of core games on it.

to get back on topic, the DS's appeal to women is not the only reason the DS is winning. there is also the matter of better software, better price, battery life, and the abundance of piracy on the PSP. no one factor can attribute to one consoles success.

Exactly!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The PSP doesn't majorly appeal to women. As I said, core gamers are few and dominantly male, but there are core female players. The DS majorly appeals to women of a wide variety of gages. Nothing I said was sexist. Nintendo isn't sexist either. There is a reason more females play Nintendo games than Playstation and Nintendo delivers more casual quality on the DS and especially the Wii. How many times i've been in a store and seem women clawing for Wii fit? I cannot even count.

The sexist part is when you claim that the DS caters to women because it's "casual".  There are plenty of "casual" male players.  I used quotation marks because your definition of casual and [hard]core seem immature as underlined above.  As others have pointed out, the DS has many more core games than the PSP.  The Wii Fit example is invalid as it isn't even on the DS.  And you keep ignoring my question: why were the PS1 and PS2 so successful?  Because the consoles were uber casual and appealed mainly to women?  Read the green text for the real answer.  Most important: software.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Oh, I thought it was because the PSP had a weak library of games...

Whoa, wth happened to my post? My response is missing too...ah well, here's what I remember:

@STAGE: I called you sexist because you implied that the DS is "casual" and that's why it sells to females. Men can just as easily be "casuals". I quote the word because of your immature definition of it (see underlined in previous post). Your Wii Fit example is invalid because last I checked, it is not on the DS. And you still haven't explained why Playstation 1 and 2 sold so much. Going by your reasoning, it's because a lot of casual women bought it. See the green text if you want the real answer to why the PSP will not surpass the DS. Most important: software.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

mario64 said:
@dahuman : I think the PSP Go will sell well, but I may be wrong. You should wait for the PSP Go sales before making PSP Go doom posts, otherwise we'll start PS6 doom threads when the PS4 launches. ;)

It's just not aimed at kids or teens. It's portable and looks nice, I think it will be enough to convince high wage people who like tech, I know many people who will buy one.

I will buy one too, day one.

50 million PSP sold is clearly a success for Sony by the way, after all it's nearly twice more than the numbers of 360 sold, and isn't the 360 a success for MS ?

for their sake, I hope it sales well, I'm personally going to try to fish for a real cheap 3000 somewhere later. I just know the machine is definitely not worth 250 bucks.

Around the Network

I'll tell you why any console beats another. It's because it's software is more interesting to more people than whatever console it beats.

NES had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
Gameboy had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
SNES had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
PS1 had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
PS2 had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
GBA had more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
DS has more interesting software to more people than it's competitors
Wii has more interesting software to more people than it's competitors

Once it's imbeded into your brain that it isn't just women, and if you listen to Nintendo's press conferences properly and not just that parts that support your thoughts, then you'll know that:

Whichever console has more interesting software to MORE PEOPLE (i.e. EVERYONE) than it's competitors will come out on top.

digitalentourage said:
I suppose I'm in the same boat really. What I define as a game that is "core" is a game that requires a certain level of feedback from the gamer in order to succeed at. I'm talking about either skill, time, effort, or emotion. There can be core games of any genre, and certainly of any theme. a game that is core is designed and created to focus on those that take video gaming seriously, and wish to invest loads of time into completing. Examples of Core games for me in various genres would be

shooter: Half-Life 2, Killzone 2, Gears of War, Resistance, CoD(MW)
platformer: Henry Hatsworth, Prinny: can i really be the hero?, Castlevania, Ratchet and Clank.
wrpg: Fallout, Oblivion, The Witcher, Demon's Soul's(Japanese, but wRPG style.)
Action-Adventure: Monster Hunter, Ico/SoTC,
free roam: GTA, Infamous, prototype
rhythm: DJMax, o2Jam, DDR,
Strategy: Valkyria Chronicles, Advance wars, starcraft, warcraft.(final fantasy)
jrpg: SMT, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Shadow Hearts, Xeno(gears/saga)
racing: Gran Turismo, wipeout
Fighter: Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, MvC.
Puzzle: Lumines, Henry hatsworth(kind of), Meteos.
horror: RE, Silent Hill, Siren.

It's hard to make a good definition, and I guess it changes based on the person. I suppose my argument is really useless to make because to someone mario might actually be a core game.

Wouldn't the sales of core games being higher on the Wii/DS completely invalidate your theory though? Using your definition I can think of a few series that are most definitely core and are more popular on Nintendo platforms. For example, the Guitar Hero series always sells much higher on the Wii, and the DS has a very prolific line of games just for it. Rock Band for the Wii sells much better than on the PS3 from the data we currently have as well. On top of that the Roguelike genre of games has seen amazing success on the DS, and cannot be seen as anything other than the most hardcore kind of game. These make up at least 2 spots in the top 25 best selling games in the DS library.

If you want I can pull out a list of far more than 5 games that have both sold incredibly well, and are easily defined as core for the DS. Your arguement doesn't hold up because you are dismissing certain franchises because they don't fit your argument. So long as you let the evidence shape your conclusion, rather than using your conclusion to pick your evidence I cannot see where you could justify half of your claims.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

they didnt catch on to the whole petz and imagine thing early enough, thats all the girls want! ohh and most of my girlfriends who own ds' have mario kart, no kart on psp either :P

PSP should be more cheaper, so more people will have to buy!

wholesale jordan shoes 
Wholesale nike jordan
nike jordan shoes wholesale jordan shoes 

Wholesale nike jordan,nike jordan shoes ,wholesale jordan shoes

Squilliam said:
So women only say they prefer a black handheld... but when it comes down to it, they choose a whitey every time?

This is actually untrue.  Many of these women owned a a white or pink GBC then a black GBA and bought a black DS. Apperantly, once they went black, they never went back.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.