By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo vs Gran Tursmo which brand is stronger?

madskillz said:
Nomad Blue said:
madskillz said:

Marketing, my friend, marketing.

Brand wise, Halo completely OWN5 GT. Sales wise, of course, favors GT, but marketing reach - brand - are in Halo's favor. You have it plastered all over the place - at fast-food joints, on Slurpees, and has books about it - even a Guitar Hero track. And GT hasn't proven it's gonna be stellar in this gen yet. Even then, it won't have the brand power as Halo. There's even talk of a Halo movie - though that's kinda hard when you realized Halo jacked a lot of its flow from "Aliens."

Still, it's a huge brand, and only a pro-Sony type - a fanboy - would say otherwise. You can hate all you want, but the truth is clear - show me one GT mug, glass or doll - or even car set - in a Wal-Mart, Target or at a 7-Eleven.

Other than this picture, do you have any real shots of this car? And that's just one instance. What about - an MTV special? What about a mention on Keith Olbermann when Halo 3 came out? It was his no. 1 story that night.

BTW - what kind of car is that?

What do you mean real shots?  That is a real shot, taken at Le Mans.  Other real shots here at GTPlanet: Link.  GT branding is popping up at racing events all over Europe & Japan, and will probably be talked about on motorsports shows.

I had no idea who Keith Olbermann is, so looked him up.  Do you mean the Keith Olbermann who has a show on MSNBC?

The car is a Citroen GT.

Around the Network

@ Nomad Blue

Cool car, and inspired by the game.

However, here's the flipside of your argument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5UgXwZB7OM

BladeOfGod said:
Gran Turismo: 50 million copies sold

Halo : about 25 million copies sold

So GT is 2 times stronger than Halo

But Mario kills them both

I won't be including GT5, prologue and HD or GT PSP in the following because it makes my life more difficult and GT5 and GT PSP aren't out yet.

First, the Gran Turismo series is 4 years older then the Halo series.

Second, there has been 9 different versions of Gran Turismo released for sale and there have only been 4 Halo games.

Third, Sony had 100 million Ps1's and 140 million ps2's in homes. Microsoft has 25 million Xbox's and currently 31million Xbox 360's. As you can see GT has a huge advantage as there were many more Playstation's then Xbox's in homes across the world, which gave Sony a potential 184 million more customers to purchase a GT game.

Now onto some figures.

Halo 1 has sold 6.43 million copies with a total of 25 million Xbox's owners

Halo 2 has sold 8.46 million copies with a total of 25 million Xbox's owners

Halo 3 has sold 10 million copies with a total of 31million Xbox 360s owners (Still selling now)

Halo Wars has sold 1.5 million copies with a total of 31 million XBox 360s. owners (Still selling now)

Halo 3 is currently sitting on 9.85 million at VG Chartz but VG is nearly a month out of date. I'm just going to round it up to 10million which it has most probably broke already considering it has been selling on average 30,000 copies a week for the past 4 months or so.

Gran Turismo 1 sold 10.85 million with a total of 100 million Ps1's owners

Gran Turismo 2 sold 9.37 million with a total of 100 million Ps1's owners

Gran Turismo 3 sold 14.87 million with a total of 140 million Ps2's owners

Gran Turismo 4 sold 9.65 million with a total of 140 million Ps2's owners

Now if there were 100 million Xbox's and 140 million Xbox 360's and the Halo series sold at the same attach ratio as it is now with all those extra potential customers Halo 1 could of sold 25,720,000 copies, Halo 2 could of sold 33,840,000 copies, Halo 3 could of sold a whopping, 45,000,000 copies (and is still selling) and Halo Wars could of sold 6,750,000 copies (also selling but slowly) if the Halo series had the same platform install base as GT was blessed with.

The Halo's series sales are only limited by the relatively low Xbox and Xbox 360 install base in comparison to the Playstation 1 and 2.

Halo: Reach will outsell GT5 if Microsoft get the word out that its a real successor to Halo 3 and not a stand alone expansion pack like ODST or a spin off title like Halo Wars. Halo: Reach should outsell Halo 3.

Halo is bigger then Gran Turismo.. Grand Theft Auto is bigger then Gran Turismo.

Alright time to end this. America is not the world folks. Halo is bigGER in America. That's it.

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

one little note GT5 PROLOGUE sold 1.7 milion in others.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Halo obviously wins....

Look at the sales of the main Halo series per game, verses main GT game sales, per game.

Also...look at the AA review total for Gran Turismo 4.

Plus, Halo has a huge online community, and doesn't even need to be bundled to sell like crack.

Also, Halo openings are huge.

Maybe GT is big in Japan, and I know it's huge in Europe, but in America, when you say Halo verses GT, most people don't even know what the hell Gran Turismo is.

The answer here is obvious. We'll see though.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
psrock said:
Alright time to end this. America is not the world folks. Halo is bigGER in America. That's it.

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

Yeah. The thread is about brand - not so much about the actual games. That's all I am saying.

Even so, the Halo brand does have some reach overseas as well. It's closing in on 3M for Halo 3.

madskillz said:
psrock said:

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

Yeah. The thread is about brand - not so much about the actual games. That's all I am saying.

Even so, the Halo brand does have some reach overseas as well. It's closing in on 3M for Halo 3.

again, the brand is strong in just one place, that's it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

European tastes in Soccer games, and racing sims are equally unimportant in our eyes.

Truth is, Halo 3's american sales alone make it comparable to GT in brandpower.

GT is huge, but I'll never be able to see is as important of a franchise as Halo. In the end, it's just a racing sim. I realize that is just my opinion, but that's why I post, I guess.

It's like football verses soccer.

I mean, I certainly look down on soccer, lol. Europeans probably look down on American football.

We like different things. To us, Halo is the superbowl, and GT is a sport nobody even likes. it's totally different worldwide.

Reviews though, Halo wins, and sales per game too. So whatever.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

psrock said:
madskillz said:
psrock said:

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

again, the brand is strong in just one place, that's it.

Wrong. 2.6m is nothing to laugh at, and it doesn't matter WHERE a game is strong. It only matters HOW strong it is. America isn't going anywhere. Why do you think Sony made Killzone 2?

Overall strength, Halo is hard to beat, even if you are Gran Turismo.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:

Halo 3 sales numbers:

9.85 million

7.11 million in NA
2.62 In others
.12 in Japan

Need I say more....

European tastes in Soccer games, and racing sims are equally unimportant in our eyes.

Truth is, Halo 3's american sales alone make it comparable to GT in brandpower.

GT is huge, but I'll never be able to see is as important of a franchise as Halo. In the end, it's just a racing sim. I realize that is just my opinion, but that's why I post, I guess.

It's like football verses soccer.

I mean, I certainly look down on soccer, lol. Europeans probably look down on American football.

We like different things. To us, Halo is the superbowl, and GT is a sport nobody even likes. it's totally different worldwide.

Reviews though, Halo wins, and sales per game too. So whatever.

this might be the worst post you have ever written. I am an American and I take offense to these statements, why is it so hard to imagine a game bigger than Halo, when there are so many already. Halo is the most hyped game in this world, but it wont even be in the top 10 selling games this Gen.

The probem is, most of you have forgotten how popular GT is, a lot of heart will be broken.

Next Gen