By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If the rumors are true, Sony will comeback

psrock said:
infamous8 said:
It will go from 3rd to 2nd... with a slight chance of 1st.

If it stays at $400, then it will always be 3rd. That extra $100 is nothing to me, but it makes a world of difference to casual gamers.

seriously, please stop!

All MS has to do is lower their price too, and bring out their own slim version. And forget about the Wii dude, it's in its own world.

Yes Infamous8 you seem to forget recent events. There is a massive abundance of casual gamers talking about the 360 right now. Lots of Wii owners are planning on getting Natal. Not to mention it's all over the press. Natal is a hit already, and we know there is loads of games in development already. Like I originally said Natal has the potential to double 360's worldwide sales forever. Possibly more. We will see in about 12 months.

PS3 has to catch up 8 million. I predict right now for you ( thanks to Natal ) that the 360 will finish the generation over 20 million in front of PS3.

Around the Network

Is it 2007? Seems like I stepped into a time warp. I though delusional fanboys had finally accepted the reality of the situation. Their isn't going to be PS3 sales explosion with the release of a slim model. Between the Wii and 360, a good deal of the PS2's casual market is already gone. The PS3 isn't getting out 3rd place. Just deal with already.

Secondly, I still can't believe people are buying the BC story. I read the IGN story. It talks about how Sony has Emotion Engine emulator. Unfortunately, they seemed to have forgotten that the Emotion Engine was never present in the PAL 60GB PS3's or the North American 80GB PS3's. Sony has been emulating the Emotion Engine since early 2007, they can't emulate the GS. The GS has more than double the memory bandwidth (48GB per second) of the RSX (20.8 GB per second). The GS is what Sony needs to address not the EE. Until they figure out how the emulate the GS, BC on the current PS3 models isn't happening.

kowenicki said:
@selnor

you seen the UK install base thread?

No. Show me. :)

why 300 bucks why not make it $199! imagine the possibilities!

Launching the PS3 with a price of $300 with full backwards compatibility would have provided a nice boost for the system because a fairly large portion of the 22 Million people who bought a PS2 since the PS3 launched would have bought a PS3 instead. Right now, there hasn't been a noteworthy exclusive PS2 game released in (over) 2 years, and hardware and software sales for the PS2 are rapidly disapearing, so the benefit of backwards compatiblity at this point is almost non-existent.

Now, at the rate things are going 120 Million consoles will have been bought by (probably) 80 Million households by the end of this year. Most of the gamers left to capture this generation will be the typical late-adopter, who probably won't own a HDTV and will not be very interested in a console over $150 to $200; and people who aren't typically interested in conventional games. I could be wrong but I suspect that the release of a $150 XBox 360 Arcade and a $250 Wii with Wii Fit and Wii Sports are both more attractive of packages to the majority of gamers that can still be caputred than a $300 PS3 ...

Around the Network
Xoj said:
Aion said:
Them Microsoft will make a slim 360.

everybody knows only japanese can make things small. =P

It's the tiny fingers.

There is no so much people waiting for a PS3 price cut, probably they already have 360 or Wii and need nothing else.

infamous8 said:
Aion said:
Them Microsoft will make a slim 360.

Anyone who wanted a 360 already has one. Ive never heard anyone say "I want a 360 but im waiting for a price drop"...

360 already has it's cheaper "slim" version. It's called Xbox 360 Arcade and sells for $200.

I want a 360 but am waiting for a pricecut (I want one with a decent sized HDD for $200).

And what evidence do you have that Microsoft isn't going to come out with a slim version of the 360? I think the smartest thing they could do is come out with a slim version of all 3 skus when Natal comes out - I for one am not interested in NATAL but would love to get a slim 360 at a lower price. 

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Squilliam said:
dcIKeeL said:
@infamous8

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080507132302_Microsoft_Gears_Up_to_Release_Xbox_360_with_New_Chips.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20090617143512_Microsoft_Quietly_Starts_to_Ship_Updated_Xbox_360_Arcade.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/nanometer-wars-heat-up-toshiba-and-intel-enter-unofficial-race/

http://kotaku.com/331959/xbox-360-could-get-32nm-chips-by-late-2009

The 360 slim is on it's way. Rest assured. The valhalla motherboard is probably it, as it will reportedly combine both chips into one 32nm-45nm chip. The arcade has already received the upgrades neccesary for another slash in prices.

Those links are contradictions. One says that the chips will be produced by TSMC, which means 40nm at best for this year, which I must add is having yield issues. The other, producing with IBM when they likely won't be ramping up to full production @ 32nm until the start of next year which is definately not in time for consoles produced this year.

You're missing the point. Everyone is making smaller chips. IBM was originally first but Intel has decided to skip 45nm altogether and go straight to 32nm. Therefore, toshiba has joined IBM and friends to develop 28nm chips. IBM has had working 45nm chips available for about a year. Yet, there has been no word of a slim 360. I think this proves that MS is looking to make their slim model with 32nm chips...maybe slightly smaller (my bet is on 32nm). They also are hinting that theyre gonna combine both chips into one, less heat, less energy, less manufacturing cost, even smaller size.

More importantly, I never said the 360 slim was coming out this year. 360 price cuts are coming this year but the slim is going to come as a strategic slap in the face sometime in mid 2010. Perhaps MS will even make the slim coincide with Natal. Infamous8 was claiming that MS isn't going for a true slim because they already have their 'slim' with the arcade. However the arcade has received modifications that make it even cheaper to manufacturer (if only a bit) so the arcade itself has been 'slimmed' down and will see price cuts. MS true slim model is still on it's way. Sony I'm pretty sure is releasing their ps3 slim this fall. Investors think of these rumors as more than just rumors as of now since they are willing to invest on it. It will be 120gb slim ps3.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/146289-why-sony-s-ps3-will-continue-to-struggle?source=yahoo

I have a feeling that link is broken.

Here it is again:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/146289-why-sony-s-ps3-will-continue-to-struggle?source=yahoo