By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If the rumors are true, Sony will comeback

I just don't see how the PS3 can catch the 360 (much less the Wii).  Any price cut the PS3 can be matched by Microsoft and Nintendo, and I don't get where some people are getting this $300 as the magical number-- I must have missed something.  I certaintly don't know many people who say 'man, that PS3 is a rip-off at $400, but at $300 it is an absolute steal!'

Also, lets look at the numbers: Pachter predicted that the PS3 will somehow overtake the 360 by 2015 (actually, I think he said 2011 in his report, but I like 2015-- gives a longer period of time).  Fine, but to do that the PS3 has to start outselling the 360 by over 25,500 units per week (8,000,000units/6 years/52 weeks) starting this week until this week in 2015 to tie with the 360.  To tie with the Wii in the same period of time would require the PS3 to sell about 90,500 units over the Wii per week (28,260,000units/6 years/52 weeks).

Around the Network

I hope someone saves this thread till the end of the year, so we can alll point and laugh. Do the math it doesn't work

Sony is the Future...Now...Believe...Cause believing is all folks have left. Why must history repeat itself over and over and over. Once PS3 starts gaining major ground then I'll believe a catch up is possible. And I still love how after buying all the extras for the 360 makes it cost more than the PS3 but at the same time the PS3 costing more than the 360 is the reason for it losing the race so far. I will need to bookmark this page to show how people flip flop on this constantly.

dcIKeeL said:
@infamous8

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080507132302_Microsoft_Gears_Up_to_Release_Xbox_360_with_New_Chips.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20090617143512_Microsoft_Quietly_Starts_to_Ship_Updated_Xbox_360_Arcade.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/nanometer-wars-heat-up-toshiba-and-intel-enter-unofficial-race/

http://kotaku.com/331959/xbox-360-could-get-32nm-chips-by-late-2009

The 360 slim is on it's way. Rest assured. The valhalla motherboard is probably it, as it will reportedly combine both chips into one 32nm-45nm chip. The arcade has already received the upgrades neccesary for another slash in prices.

Those links are contradictions. One says that the chips will be produced by TSMC, which means 40nm at best for this year, which I must add is having yield issues. The other, producing with IBM when they likely won't be ramping up to full production @ 32nm until the start of next year which is definately not in time for consoles produced this year.

Tease.

Aion said:
Them Microsoft will make a slim 360.

Steve Ballmer is too fat to release a slim 360- it would make him feel bad, then he'd go buy a Wii and play Wii Fit, and he would be fired for owning a Wii, and he would be unemployed, so that's why you'll never see a slim 360!

Quote me, I dare you!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Good thread to bookmark for this festive season. Interesting how Sony are going to launch a slim console, slash the price and add BC all while the company is hemmoraging money still though. I'll believe the rumours if the official announcement ever comes.

I dont think it will end up in some make believe 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, but it might be able to sell as many or more units than the 360 did in the sime timeframe.

So long as they can pull close to the 360 price, they will do extraordinarily well.

My worry is Sony is so potless at the moment they may have to keep the price relatively high.

I was in my local supermarket in the UK yesterday and they were selling Arcade 360's for 89 GBP.

Also they had standalone BluRay players for 110 GBP.

Sony can be under no illusion of how much they need to slash costs.
It may be controversial but I sincerely doubt you will see Backwards Compatibility return any time soon.

"Everybody who wants a 360 already has one" This will be your first mistake.
"360 already has a slim in the form of an Arcade" This will be your second mistake.
"It will go from 3rd to 2nd... with a slight chance of 1st" This will be your third mistake.

I think I will stop at 3 for symbolic reasons.

I realise you want your system to do well and it will but please lets not get carried away. The new model will initially have a negative impact and sales will no doubt decline further. Then when it is released probably around the Xmas/Holiday period sales will soar but then come back to earth. In the meantime back on planet Earth the Wii and 360 will continue to sell and sell well. One day the 360 and the PS3 may overtake the Wii but only because they stopped making it and for no other reason.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

maybe it will... but fact is... the wii is the supreme ruler...

and noo.. i think the psp will and has made the biggest comeback ever in gaming history.