By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worst RPG storyline ever

lestatdark said:
Sorry, but there's nothing generic with FFXII story, that's just a shallow analysis of the entire plot, in that particular sense you are saying that FFVI is generic as well since it uses the same basis as FFXII, yet FFVI is the best FF that was ever released.
I'm not gonna go on an analysis here, since there are people who haven't play the game and i don't want to spoil anything, but all I can say is that it is far from generic.

The basic plots of FF games are generic but plot is a barebones version of the story.  What makes the stories in the FF games good are the characters and their struggles.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
lestatdark said:
Sorry, but there's nothing generic with FFXII story, that's just a shallow analysis of the entire plot, in that particular sense you are saying that FFVI is generic as well since it uses the same basis as FFXII, yet FFVI is the best FF that was ever released.
I'm not gonna go on an analysis here, since there are people who haven't play the game and i don't want to spoil anything, but all I can say is that it is far from generic.

The basic plots of FF games are generic but plot is a barebones version of the story.  What makes the stories in the FF games good are the characters and their struggles.

I agree. Most RPGs have derivative plot, but what (usually) makes an RPG good (IMHO) are the characters.

So you think that the struggle that Ashe goes through in being a Queen torn from her country, with her heart broken from her husband's and father death, which no FF ever explored, wasn't a breath of fresh air? Also the Basch/Gabranth history was also really well though off and written. Hell even Vaan and penelo had better stories than Tidus, which is the worst story in any FF IMO

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
So you think that the struggle that Ashe goes through in being a Queen torn from her country, with her heart broken from her husband's and father death, which no FF ever explored, wasn't a breath of fresh air? Also the Basch/Gabranth history was also really well though off and written. Hell even Vaan and penelo had better stories than Tidus, which is the worst story in any FF IMO

This is where I disagree with you.  Vaan and Penelo are probably the least interesting characters in the game which is an unforunate side effect of being added late in development as Balthier or Basch(can't remember which one) were suppose to be the lead characters originally.  I have seen way worse stories in the series than Tidus.

I also think that Vaan and penelo were the least interesting characters in the game, i was just drawing a comparison with another storyline in a FF character. Baltheir was supposed to be the main character, and his personality in the game actually reflects that.
Tidus had a really terrible story, the way it was all glued together and his cheesy lines really made me dislike him a lot.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Beoulve said:
@ Seraphic_Sixaxis

I see that you have Infinite Undiscovery as well. Is SO4 really worse than that pile of shite?!!

IU is better than Star Ocean. I liked it a lot more.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Beoulve said:
@ Seraphic_Sixaxis

I see that you have Infinite Undiscovery as well. Is SO4 really worse than that pile of shite?!!

Wow, that's an impressive feat. Star Ocean 4's story must be an EPIC FAIL. Well, at least SO4 has better gameplay, right?!!

Spoiler

FFX was pretty good as far as storyline goes. Sure Yuna was flat and Tidus was a bit unlikeable. However it had a solid romance story to it that wasn't forced. Usually in anime and rpgs, couplings are forced. I really felt that I could back Tidus and Yuna because they started as friends there relationship progressed it didn't just happen. I enjoyed that the narrator had this idea that he was well informed when in fact he wasn't. Addressing the issue of racism especially coming from Wakka was classic. Tidus not existing and Auron being dead were nice twist but not totally unexpected. The best part though is the irony.

End spoiler

FFX-2 ruined all of that and was worthless as far as storyline goes.

I am glad I read this thread. I was going to get an 360 just for Star Ocean, but now I can see it isn't worth the money. It seems like none of the Star Ocean games are any good.

FF12 story isn't awful but it isn't good either. I can't see it being in the top 10 worst stories. That being said I still consider it one of the worst final fantasies.

Pokemon as a stand alone game it is pretty basic. However after 4 generations of the same thing I think it is a pretty poor story. Pokemon really shines more for its gameplay than story though.

I find it a little wrong to mention old RPGs. Final fantasy 1-3 were awful and Dragon quest one to three were awful. They really couldn't help themselves the genre hadn't developed yet. So I think it is a bit unfair to count those games.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Beoulve said:
outlawauron said:
Beoulve said:
@ Seraphic_Sixaxis

Wow, that's an impressive feat. Star Ocean 4's story must be an EPIC FAIL. Well, at least SO4 has better gameplay, right?!!

It has a deeper battle system, but it depends on what you prefer as far as better.

IU is better in nearly every other aspect, imo. It has a lot less techincal issues as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Beoulve said:
outlawauron said:
Beoulve said:
@ Seraphic_Sixaxis

Yeah SO4 has a better combat system then IU though i find IU's combat system to be really fun. You should just get Tales of Vesperia if you want a really great rpg.