By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worst RPG storyline ever

ItsaMii said:
hatmoza said:

But honestly, give me the names of your favorite RPGs and I will be able to point out a dozen flaws in their stories. Remember, they're just games. IMHO your just spreading about flame. Instead of picking a game and giving a good argument about why the story sucked, it sounds more like you spent the last 24 hours doing research on those games you posted looking for the slightest flaws.

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4, Fire Emblem RD, Dragon Quest 2, 4, 5, 8, Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire 2, Paper Mario series

That won`t work

1) I am not an idiot, I don`t play a RPG for stories. If I wanted a good plot I would read a book(and I usually do, that is why I know when a story is rotten).

2) The best I hope for a RPG plot is to either entertain me or not get into the way by being retarded. That is why I have no problem with simple or generic (to some degree) stories.

3) I am not a insecure kid who lose his reason to live when someone tell me one of my favorite games suck. So if you find flaws (real or not) with my game I won`t tell you to stop playing games. BTW that is a reference to the 2 facist sympathizers, not you.

4) CT and the Tales games plot is nothing special, but the characters are interesting. Final Fantasy 4 plot is retarded, but it was good game for its time and I love the battle system. Dragon Quest is as generic as it can get (defeat the evil lord and save the world), I play it for the classic feeling and challenge. Lufia 2 is generic but has awesome puzzles and great dungeon design. Fire Emblem had a good (more political) plot, but they screwed it at the end. That did not affect the rest of the amazing game for me. I like BOF 2 gameplay and I am indifferent to its plot. Paper Mario greatness lies in the fact that it do not take itself seriously.

Last, I would like to say that there is no such info on Wikipedia. I remember most of those games plot, I did not spend 24 hours researching (I have more important stuff to do) on these shitty games. When I make a claim about a game, I usually have a way to back it up. Ask me anything about these games (gameplay, plot, design) and I will tell what my problem is. I did not make a elaborate post on the plot of each game because that would take too much time. I just tried to remember the worst offenders.

Tales of Symphonia had interesting characters? Really? Did you forget about Colette? I guess thats just your opinion and i'll respect it. But......Colette sucked.

Around the Network

People who say KotOR2 are blowing my mind. Really.

I only say KotOR 2 out of lingering disappointment that it was rushed and late-game material omitted, not out of disgust with the story/writing, which were top-notch.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
I only say KotOR 2 out of lingering disappointment that it was rushed and late-game material omitted, not out of disgust with the story/writing, which were top-notch.

Oh, okay. Yeah, that disappoints me in the same way.

Khuutra said:
People who say KotOR2 are blowing my mind. Really.

Exactly...I love KotoR2...

And it's a lot better than most of the RPG's released thus far for this generation.

Kreia is my girl..I love her evil cryptic ass.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Around the Network

Star ocean 3.

Number 4 is way better.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

outlawauron said:
_RKO_ said:
outlawauron said:
_RKO_ said:
outlawauron said:
_RKO_ said:
outlawauron said:
_RKO_ said:
MonstaMack said:
Damn is Star Ocean that bad?
My wife loves WRPGs (and of course Oblivion) so she went to go play Tales of Vesperia, but Star Ocean is next on her list. She's gonna cringe to hear my fellow VGCharters detest the SO4 story. Hopefully the combat is still good.

SO4 was fine (a lot of people hate it because its only on 360)

SO3 is the bad one.

No, a lot of people hate it because it sucks and is a bad game. Even moreso that it's far and away the worst in the series.

No....SO3 is the worst in the series by far. Awful AWFUL music, awful design, and awful story.

That fits SO4 perfectly.

Except SO4 had great music, great design, and a decent story.

Not at all. The design was greatly flawed. SO4 was riddled with bugs, glitches, and freezes. The targeting was completely broken and a burden to the player, and the music wasn't good at all. Sakimoto did much better on IU!

Well i guess you must have played a different game than i, because i never had those problems.

Well, it's very well known that the game freezes. I was averaged 1 freeze every 2 hours I played during the second disc. It only froze twice in the third disc though.

Seriously, google freezing problems in star ocean 4. 

Star Ocean 3 has the worst twist in history. *spoiler*It's all a game?!! Come on!*Spoiler end*

The rest of the story is also pretty bland, but entertaining. Tri-Ace aren't exaclty known as good storytellers.

off OP topic:

IMHO the music was good, and I would like to point out that Hitoshi Sakimoto has never composed music for tri-ace games. The composer for Star Ocean and IU is Motoi Sakuraba. I also loved the battle system SO3.

Beoulve said:

Star Ocean 3 has the worst twist in history. *spoiler*It's all a game?!! Come on!*Spoiler end*

The rest of the story is also pretty bland, but entertaining. Tri-Ace aren't exaclty known as good storytellers.

off OP topic:

IMHO the music was good, and I would like to point out that Hitoshi Sakimoto has never composed music for tri-ace games. The composer for Star Ocean and IU is Motoi Sakuraba. I also loved the battle system SO3.

That will be argued for all eternity. I still think that that twist in SO3 was masterful, I love those twists that leave you "damnit, what the fuck???"

I loved SO3's story

And I have to agree, SO3's music was excellent, and the battle system too was wonderful

zexen_lowe said:
Beoulve said:

off OP topic:

That will be argued for all eternity. I still think that that twist in SO3 was masterful, I love those twists that leave you "damnit, what the fuck???"

I loved SO3's story

And I have to agree, SO3's music was excellent, and the battle system too was wonderful

The problem people seem to have against SO3's plot twist is that it makes most of the game before it pointless and that the plot twist wasn't forshadowed enough, if at all.  It's the same problem people had towards FFVIII, where gamers claimed that plot twists came out of nowhere with no forshadowing even though it apparently was albeit poorly. 

I here I go, lulz. Star Ocean... 2! O:
But, but, but how could I choose that over 3 or 4? Well honestly, because I've only played Star Ocean 2 >_>

The story itself isn't all that bad, but it had a lot of potential that just went to waste. and the villians were horrible

Other than that I'd probably say Oblivion.