By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Conduit gets 6.5'd on Gamespot

I like KZ2 alot and I have grown to love the controls (heavy acceleration/inertia).  The Conduit strives more for typical FPS feeling.  It actually might be possible to replicate a KZ2 feel with the Wii remote but your are right, I think it would feel weird to move the remote in a direction and then their is a slight delay in character movement to account for inertia/weight.  In K2, you don't notice the delay as much because you are already pushing the stick all the way in one direction and waiting for feedback whereas the camera matches your movement in The Conduit.

Either way, we are talking about two different things.  No matter how you look at it, aiming is more accurate with the Wii remote.  If you need confirmation, go play RE4 on Gamecube or PS2 and then go play it on the Wii.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Around the Network
WereKitten said:

^
Not only a delay in shooting, but also in aiming (I don't suppose HOTD:Overkill does that, as it's basically a light-gun game). Can you imagine the boos and hisses if they released a game where your aiming reticule lags behind where you're aiming at? :) People are just not used to inertia/acceleration with pointing or mouse as much as they are with sticks - again Dead Space on the PC got an amount of flak exactly becasue it felt "floaty"

Anyway, here ends my food for thought on why I think KZ2's controls are great.

There is a mini chain gun in that game, I don't know if you've played it, there are 2 cross hairs, one is where you are aiming, the other is the actual weight of the mini chain gun following to where you are aiming because it's heavy, for some reason, the dev of that game decided to make that gun to work that way, don't ask me why( I'm thinking Sin and Punishment is why, but that was on the 64 and played with analog.) I say the wiimote works more like a dual analog for a simple reason, there is a zero point, it's pretty much the same concept, when you move a mouse to your right, you don't keep turning right, you stop, but with dual analog and wiimote, you will keep turning unless you go back to the zero point, the wiimote is just faster, making it one step beyond analog stick control, hence without such limitations. it's like asking if people prefer 360/PS3 graphics or Wii graphics lol, people can say they like the Wii just fine all they want and cel-shade is cool looking, but shit still ain't the HD consoles when it comes to looks and power.

^Yep, that's the way I was imagining the "inertial" aiming indeed, but I never played HOTD:O.
And yes, the Wiimote is actually similar to an analog in abstract. But since people intuitively point where they want to aim, the bounding box control method splits view and aim. Combine the bounding box with inertia and you'd probably have very weird controls.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:

^Yep, that's the way I was imagining the "inertial" aiming indeed, but I never played HOTD:O.
And yes, the Wiimote is actually similar to an analog in abstract. But since people intuitively point where they want to aim, the bounding box control method splits view and aim. Combine the bounding box with inertia and you'd probably have very weird controls.

it could work if they do the double cross hair method with trailing and character animation based on it, but... I doubt there is a need for it, unless somebody wants to make an interesting fps game for the Wii, which I highly don't encourage since niche never sells on the Wii.

dahuman said:
WereKitten said:

it could work if they do the double cross hair method with trailing and character animation based on it, but... I doubt there is a need for it, unless somebody wants to make an interesting fps game for the Wii, which I highly don't encourage since niche never sells on the Wii.

Yeah... Seriously, K2 doesn't sell on controls it sells on graphics.

I like playing it online but it is kind of a mess since it is heavily reliant on people actually performing their class role effectively (especially the tactician)....  I imagine this will be a problem with MAG but that is an entirely different thread and has nothing to do with GameSpot's shabby review...

Now Playing!

^ This is you!