By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Conduit gets 6.5'd on Gamespot

Hopefully we will see a AA mature game for Wii.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

kz2 control isn't nearly as good and I'm pretty damn good at dual analog, it's just not as good and that's pretty much that, it's not an opinion either because you can't move like a mouse with dual analog but you can with a wiimote( difference is skill lvl with a wiimote, if you are good, you are god, just like a mouse,) there is a mountain of difference. feel free to check out my playthrough.

If "good" means fast and accurate aim with the reticule then mouse is much better than IR pointing that is much better than analog sticks. But turning is very different with a mouse and with the wiimote.

But let's say you want to pursue KZ 1 & 2's feel of controlling a guy who has a body with inertia and weight, or in other words where your aim and sight has an acceleration and doesn't follow 1:1 your input. Doing it with mouse or wiimote would probably be defined "floaty" or "laggy", and analog sticks might even be better in this case. In a slightly different context that's why the PC version of Dead Space was vocally bashed by many people for its mouse controls: people expect mouse (and Wiimote pointing) controls to have extreme accelerations.

I happen to love this aspect of KZ2 (never played the first one), thus I find its controls feel better than MP3's ones (currently my best FP experience on the Wii) and better than that of any FPS I played on my PC. In general "good" will depend on what you want from the game. So I'm ready to state that yours is an opinion, unless you replace "good" with "easily accurate", which is surely a fact :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
dahuman said:

kz2 control isn't nearly as good and I'm pretty damn good at dual analog, it's just not as good and that's pretty much that, it's not an opinion either because you can't move like a mouse with dual analog but you can with a wiimote( difference is skill lvl with a wiimote, if you are good, you are god, just like a mouse,) there is a mountain of difference. feel free to check out my playthrough.

If "good" means fast and accurate aim with the reticule then mouse is much better than IR pointing that is much better than analog sticks. But turning is very different with a mouse and with the wiimote.

But let's say you want to pursue KZ 1 & 2's feel of controlling a guy who has a body with inertia and weight, or in other words where your aim and sight has an acceleration and doesn't follow 1:1 your input. Doing it with mouse or wiimote would probably be defined "floaty" or "laggy", and analog sticks might even be better in this case. In a slightly different context that's why the PC version of Dead Space was vocally bashed by many people for its mouse controls: people expect mouse (and Wiimote pointing) controls to have extreme accelerations.

I happen to love this aspect of KZ2 (never played the first one), thus I find its controls feel better than MP3's ones (currently my best FP experience on the Wii) and better than that of any FPS I played on my PC. In general "good" will depend on what you want from the game. So I'm ready to state that yours is an opinion, unless you replace "good" with "easily accurate", which is surely a fact :)

judge for yourself, I can control the turn speed in this game by how much the wiimote is moved, it can be only slightly or very fast.

SPOILER ALERT!

dahuman said:
BladeOfGod said:
bardicverse said:
BladeOfGod said:
bardicverse said:
BladeOfGod said:

good review. Conduit is generic shooter who wanted to turn out like good HD hardcore shooter like Killzone 2 or Gears 2 but it didnt

Yeah, it didn't turn out like KZ2, Conduit controls are much better and the gameplay is more fun. Oooh burn.

yeah, KZ2 scored 91 on metacritic and its AAA title, while Conduit sits at 76 on metacritic so its not like KZ2 :)

Metacritic and reviews don't do anything to fix poor controls.  :P

You can change controls in KZ2, you know, and you can also change the aim sensitivity.

i didnt had any problems with aiming after i played the game for 4th time so the controles are depending on your skills with dual analog.

IxisNaugus said:
@ BladeOfGod. HVS was not trying to make The Conduit better or as good as Killzone 2 in the first place... absolutely no one expected it to be as good as acclaimed shooters for the PS3 or X360. I don't know who had these ridiculous expectations for the game but it certainly wasn't me or the developers.

No one should be surprised by the score. The reviewer was Gamespot after all. They put too much emphasis on the obvious "drawbacks" like 'generic art style and story' and 'monotonous levels' while slapping random bs here and there like saying the multiplayer lacked something special and constantly moaning about its linearity. But at least they didn't flat out lie like Gamepro.

I think they wanted to. They never said it, but i think they wanted to make Conduit Wii's KZ2

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
dahuman said:
BladeOfGod said:
bardicverse said:
BladeOfGod said:
bardicverse said:
BladeOfGod said:

good review. Conduit is generic shooter who wanted to turn out like good HD hardcore shooter like Killzone 2 or Gears 2 but it didnt

Yeah, it didn't turn out like KZ2, Conduit controls are much better and the gameplay is more fun. Oooh burn.

yeah, KZ2 scored 91 on metacritic and its AAA title, while Conduit sits at 76 on metacritic so its not like KZ2 :)

Metacritic and reviews don't do anything to fix poor controls.  :P

You can change controls in KZ2, you know, and you can also change the aim sensitivity.

i didnt had any problems with aiming after i played the game for 4th time so the controles are depending on your skills with dual analog.

That does not matter, if you are playing against somebody who has Wii control in KZ2, you'd get your ass pwned using dual analog if the 2 people have spent the same amount of time with the controls(100 hours of wiimote type control vs 100 hours of dual analog controls.) if the HD consoles had that option to start with, then there is noway I'd bitch about them at all and I'd have kept every single shooter I got for them and I'd be happy to play against dual analog people anyday just so I can rape them.

BladeOfGod said:
IxisNaugus said:
@ BladeOfGod. HVS was not trying to make The Conduit better or as good as Killzone 2 in the first place... absolutely no one expected it to be as good as acclaimed shooters for the PS3 or X360. I don't know who had these ridiculous expectations for the game but it certainly wasn't me or the developers.

No one should be surprised by the score. The reviewer was Gamespot after all. They put too much emphasis on the obvious "drawbacks" like 'generic art style and story' and 'monotonous levels' while slapping random bs here and there like saying the multiplayer lacked something special and constantly moaning about its linearity. But at least they didn't flat out lie like Gamepro.

I think they wanted to. They never said it, but i think they wanted to make Conduit Wii's KZ2

more like Wii's Halo 1 from what I've played, only looks a lot better and has online MP, trust me, the production value and dev time isn't even 1/5th KZ2 lvl, KZ2 is very polished.

dahuman said:
WereKitten said:

judge for yourself, I can control the turn speed in this game by how much the wiimote is moved, it can be only slightly or very fast.

SPOILER ALERT!

Exactly. I don't want to get technical, but being able to change the speed of the aiming reticule almost instantaneously equals huge accelerations. If your Wiimote weighted 10-20 kgs like some huge gun you wouldn't be able to do that, and that's what a slow acceleration curve like in KZ2 can simulate. Equivalently, the aiming reticule should "trail behind" where you point at a given moment, never accelerating more than a limit amount.

My post was merely food for thought: the word "good" only has meaning when you specify good at what.

You can be goal-oriented ("my goal is putting my aiming reticule on bad guys and clicking. Controls are good in the amount in which they allow me to do this") or experience oriented ("the experience I want to try is being an armour-clad, weapon-encumbered soldier who runs and stumbles and slams into cover. Controls are good if they help to convey this experience").

Real games will ususally aim for you to be somewhere in-between those extremes. Some FPS games like my beloved HL and HL2 have really never relied on the visceral feel of the gunplay, being more about the story, puzzles, setting and design. Many great FPSs on PC work the same way, because they rely on the mouse input. CS is all about accuracy and quick aiming. For them, Wiimote controls would be a boon in a console port, instead of the double analog. I have not played the Conduit yet, but I understand that it works great with them too, and by your talk about "raping" people I understand that you're saying the controls are good in a purely goal-oriented sense.

On the other hand the KZ2 experience is all about the feeling of weight and momentum, forcing you to consider the environment much more and into a slower pace (you can't run in any direction, but only sprint forward for a certain amount of time. You have a cover system, slow reloads, enemies entrenching in positions etc.) For that heavy feel, i think that pointing with a Wiimote would not work as well as analogs, or at least the "floaty" feeling if you introduced inertia would be weird and "bad" for most players.

I actually give great credit to Guerrilla for taking a controller limitation and finding a new take on the FPS feel that works so well with it, where others had to resort to auto-aim and other shortcuts.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

then you are thinking more like a delayed shot with for example, overkill and the mini chain gun, I'm sure it can be done too since Wiimote works more like an analog stick than a mouse in reality and actually faster with IR tracking, it depends on the dev I guess, you are right on them realizing the limitation of the dual analog though, but that's a product of limitation, it's not something I want to comment on since I do have a Wii as well after all(obvious limitation in power lawl.)

^
Not only a delay in shooting, but also in aiming (I don't suppose HOTD:Overkill does that, as it's basically a light-gun game). Can you imagine the boos and hisses if they released a game where your aiming reticule lags behind where you're aiming at? :) People are just not used to inertia/acceleration with pointing or mouse as much as they are with sticks - again Dead Space on the PC got an amount of flak exactly becasue it felt "floaty"

Anyway, here ends my food for thought on why I think KZ2's controls are great.

"..." - Gordon Freeman