Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two pleased with GTA: Chinatown Wars sales, sequel, Wii (and more)

In my opinion, your "imo" is just trolling, so I won't respond any further than that.



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
venepe said:
the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

You clearly didn't pay attention to what was done with the previous GTA games. Why would they port III, VC, and SA to the Xbox and PC whey they clearly made plenty on the PS2?

Ports don't mean flops. Those tend to reduce the chances of ports. Even Okami made money before it was ported (just not a lot).


I bought the III/VC double pack on the Xbox 1 year after Vice City was released. By that time,both games were definitely past 10 milion right? So Knight is right here.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I thought 500K was good sales for a game? Also how do you say it flopped when the company itself said they were pleased?



95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:
I thought 500K was good sales for a game? Also how do you say it flopped when the company itself said they were pleased?

It is called being a blind fanboy, a lot of people suffer from it.

 

But seriously GTA:CW wasn't a huge seller but it will definitely eclipse a million on the DS and probably a little more on the PSP and this think is a top down GTA that probably took less than a year to make with a fraction of the budget of console GTAs - it is a success, perhaps not a raging success, but a success none the less.

And now they are talking about a sequel, if Take-Two is smart enough to make it 3D or at least semi-3D then they will see it sell 2x or more than the first.



Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Well I guess that settles that then :)

Bomb my ass.


now why would you want your ass bombed?

:P

well i guess this is good news..



    R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(


Around the Network
SaviorX said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
venepe said:
the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

You clearly didn't pay attention to what was done with the previous GTA games. Why would they port III, VC, and SA to the Xbox and PC whey they clearly made plenty on the PS2?

Ports don't mean flops. Those tend to reduce the chances of ports. Even Okami made money before it was ported (just not a lot).


I bought the III/VC double pack on the Xbox 1 year after Vice City was released. By that time,both games were definitely past 10 milion right? So Knight is right here.

I get why they think it's proof of a flop. They think ports are easy and cheap, so a port on another system is a low cost way to recoup losses.

That is completely false.

  1. 1. Unless gaming systems have cross platform firmware (like the Xbox and PC), the code to run the game has to be completely rewritten. That will require a lot more manhours.
  2. 2. With this game, they have to adjust the graphics from the dual screen to a widescreen.
  3. 3. They have to reprogram the gameplay.
  4. 4. The DS uses fixed point calculations, and the PSP uses floating point. That means all the math coding on the game has to be redone.

There is no way in hell that will be cheap, even if on DS level instead of PSP level. Ports aren't to recoup losses. They are to milk hits. Why do you think Super Mario and Street Fighter II were ported so much, and not smaller games?



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

GTA on Wii would kill competition i believe, because GTA is mostly casual, believe it or not

it's great that they are pleased with Chinatown legs, and a sequel is very possible, can't wait! : )



don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Hisiru said:
Aj_habfan said:
Hisiru said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

Its at 500k+ on DS worldwide. The DS can make just about any title profitable once it clear ~150k-200k I would say, and even if this had a higher budget and advertising than most DS games it probably still ended up only needing to sell 300k or something.

I'm pretty sure when you are about to release a game that has one of the strongest names in gaming, you aren't just hoping you will be able to make it past the even point.

He never really says that he is satisfied with the sales, he dances around the question a bit. His immediate response to the question is, "The DS, typically, has longer legs in the sales cycle" - He's more pleased with the potential the game has in regards to sales, not how it has performed to this point.

"We're very pleased with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

Why don't you bold the rest of that sentence for me. "...with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

he never mentions the overall sales. They are pleased how it is still selling at a fairly high pace. If sales were to drop off today, do you think they would be pleased? Doubt it. They are counting on legs.

 

And Intro, it was stated that the staff working on the game was much larger than the PSP versions. I agree with you that if the legs continue, which is likely, it will go on to make lots of profit. At the moment though, there isn't much, especially when you consider this is GTA.

 

 

They are pleased how it is still selling at a fairly high pace = They are pleased with the sales somehow (this is called "interpretation" here, I don't know how it's called where you live).

No, it's not the same thing. There is a difference between, "We are very pleased with the sales" and "We're very pleased with how that game is continuing to sell in the market; it will be in the market for a long, long time to come."

They are pleased it is showing legs, and that is will likely continue to sell and eventually make big profit. They make the point of saying it will be selling for a looong time - why do you think that is? Because they are underwhelming at the moment, but have a high potential of reaching high sales in the future.

 

Listen, I am not saying the game is a flop or that they are severly disappointed with the sales, I'm just sick of people celebrating it's sales so far - they have not been very good all things considered. We know it will have legs, but please don't act like 560k sales at this point is a major success. When it reaches these 1 million and 2 million plateaus we hear so much about, brag about it then.

 



"I'm just sick of people celebrating it's sales so far"

Well tothers started declaring it a flop well before that, and this celebrating isn't as nearly as long as that.



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Aj_habfan said:
intro94 said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

Its at 500k+ on DS worldwide. The DS can make just about any title profitable once it clear ~150k-200k I would say, and even if this had a higher budget and advertising than most DS games it probably still ended up only needing to sell 300k or something.

I'm pretty sure when you are about to release a game that has one of the strongest names in gaming, you aren't just hoping you will be able to make it past the even point.

He never really says that he is satisfied with the sales, he dances around the question a bit. His immediate response to the question is, "The DS, typically, has longer legs in the sales cycle" - He's more pleased with the potential the game has in regards to sales, not how it has performed to this point.

 nintendo and take 2 are saying what we all know, DS has the strongest legs in gaming industry.MK Ds sold a lot worse than GTA 4 in the first week,only to ultimately humilliate it months later. And thats not the only game that has done that on DS regarding those weekend blockbusters.

Strongest names in gaming might be true, but also the cheapest and fastest GTA to produce in a decade. Obviously with 500k just months of release they are reaping big profits and they are just happy to see more of it. Profit its proportional to the investment, this is a mid budget DS game, just like GTA4 sold 4 millions after 3 months, it was also MANY TIMES cheaper to produce and advertise.

And this game not only broke point already, its sold many times above breaking point.After 2 years, when this game is in 2 or 3 million sales, seriously, the " flop of hardcore in DS" will be a reminder of how biased and negative was the gaming media around the ds.

It's because of people like you that I even bother involving myself in these discussions. You are extremely overestimating their profit, and severly underestimating the development+extra costs.. "Big profits"? They've only sold 560k. Even if this was a cheaper DS titles their wouldn't be as big of profits as you are making it seem. This was easily one of the biggest budget games on DS. Considering Take-Two would only get about $10 per copy sold, they haven't made much money yet.

 

 

 

Thanks for proving right my first post in this thread n_n.