By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two pleased with GTA: Chinatown Wars sales, sequel, Wii (and more)

Plus it's us celebrating T2's fact that this game has been good for them. I'm sorry, you don't decide whether a game is doing well or not Aj_habsfan.

Around the Network

500K for a GTA game is pretty sad. Most of the GTA games push the million mark only months after release. The DS is the biggest console on the market right now with over 100-million units shipped. That 500K is so dismal its not even funny. The franchise has way more potential then 500K and my bet is that is why Take-Two doesn't out right say they are satisfied with the sales instead refering to DS games long legs!

When China Town Wars catches up to GTA4 or one of the other main stream GTA titles. Of course the PSP GTA titles have failed to reach critical sales levels. In the end GTA:ChinaTownWars has way more potential then just 500K!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The game sold well IMO.

4 ≈ One

"Most of the GTA games push the million mark only months after release."

Not all. The name does not guarantee huge sales, or GTA Advance would have been a hit.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

fmc83 said:
I still don't get it why they just don't convert an old GTA game to the wii. Bully is great and the brilliant motion controls had their part to that.

No matter which old GTA they bring over to the Wii, I would buy it day one.

GTA III/VC remakes + SA using the SA engine (NO DROWNING!) on one disc like the MP Trilogy.  That's my GTAWii dream.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

Not all. The name does not guarantee huge sales, or GTA Advance would have been a hit.

True , true but if you look at the GTA games across the PS/PS2/X-Box and 360/PS3 they all sold well into their millions by this point. China Town Wars is only a success compared to other handheld GTA games not as a stand alone GTA title. To be honest with the DS having a user base almost as large as PS2 did the sales of GTA:CTW are horrible. On a platform as popular as the DS I'm sure RockStar expected far superior sales margins!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

True , true but if you look at the GTA games across the PS/PS2/X-Box and 360/PS3 they all sold well into their millions by this point. China Town Wars is only a success compared to other handheld GTA games not as a stand alone GTA title. To be honest with the DS having a user base almost as large as PS2 did the sales of GTA:CTW are horrible. On a platform as popular as the DS I'm sure RockStar expected far superior sales margins!

That's not honest.

1. Userbase fallacy.

2. http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=889&region=All, http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=5163&region=All. Neither of those have full sales information, so claiming they sold millions at this point is just BS. You probably threw those in hoping to deflect the next point.

3. GTA games don't mean huge opening months. 3D sandbox GTA games do. This game needs to find an audience for it's idiosyncratic style. Assuming that doesn't matter is like assuming the Star Wars Clone Wars movie should have done better because it's "Star Wars", regardless of whether the CGI style put them off (quality as well, but it's not as though the last three were big on that).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Yes! Let's see more GTA on Nintendo's platforms!

^click the license to level it up! Please, and thanks in advance!

=D

venepe said:
the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

so then they werent reallly satisfied about sales of Chinatown Wars

deathgod33 said:
venepe said:
the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

so then they werent reallly satisfied about sales of Chinatown Wars

So then they weren't really satisfited about the saled of III, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS, all of which were ported.

Ports aren't cheap cash-ins, unless the source game is. Porting is neither easy, nor cheap. Most ports are of hits, because that makes better sales likely.