By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two pleased with GTA: Chinatown Wars sales, sequel, Wii (and more)

A port it doesn't mean they are unpleased....
just look at the GTA in PSP, they all got ported to ps2 and they sold well.

Around the Network

Now that Take-Two has REITERATED FOR THE THIRD TIME that they are satisfied with the sales of GTA: Chinatown Wars, can people please stop assuming they are lying?

Just because games aren't selling millions out the gate for DS/Wiititles, fanboys call them flops, even when the people who actually know about the sales themselves know they are performing well.

They are already working on a sequel to GTA:CW and are just waiting to announce it.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

Its at 500k+ on DS worldwide. The DS can make just about any title profitable once it clear ~150k-200k I would say, and even if this had a higher budget and advertising than most DS games it probably still ended up only needing to sell 300k or something.

I'm pretty sure when you are about to release a game that has one of the strongest names in gaming, you aren't just hoping you will be able to make it past the even point.

He never really says that he is satisfied with the sales, he dances around the question a bit. His immediate response to the question is, "The DS, typically, has longer legs in the sales cycle" - He's more pleased with the potential the game has in regards to sales, not how it has performed to this point.

nintendo and take 2 are saying what we all know, DS has the strongest legs in gaming industry.MK Ds sold a lot worse than GTA 4 in the first week,only to ultimately humilliate it months later. And thats not the only game that has done that on DS regarding those weekend blockbusters.

Strongest names in gaming might be true, but also the cheapest and fastest GTA to produce in a decade. Obviously with 500k just months of release they are reaping big profits and they are just happy to see more of it. Profit its proportional to the investment, this is a mid budget DS game, just like GTA4 sold 4 millions after 3 months, it was also MANY TIMES cheaper to produce and advertise.

And this game not only broke point already, its sold many times above breaking point.After 2 years, when this game is in 2 or 3 million sales, seriously, the " flop of hardcore in DS" will be a reminder of how biased and negative was the gaming media around the ds.

intro94 said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

Its at 500k+ on DS worldwide. The DS can make just about any title profitable once it clear ~150k-200k I would say, and even if this had a higher budget and advertising than most DS games it probably still ended up only needing to sell 300k or something.

I'm pretty sure when you are about to release a game that has one of the strongest names in gaming, you aren't just hoping you will be able to make it past the even point.

He never really says that he is satisfied with the sales, he dances around the question a bit. His immediate response to the question is, "The DS, typically, has longer legs in the sales cycle" - He's more pleased with the potential the game has in regards to sales, not how it has performed to this point.

nintendo and take 2 are saying what we all know, DS has the strongest legs in gaming industry.MK Ds sold a lot worse than GTA 4 in the first week,only to ultimately humilliate it months later. And thats not the only game that has done that on DS regarding those weekend blockbusters.

Strongest names in gaming might be true, but also the cheapest and fastest GTA to produce in a decade. Obviously with 500k just months of release they are reaping big profits and they are just happy to see more of it. Profit its proportional to the investment, this is a mid budget DS game, just like GTA4 sold 4 millions after 3 months, it was also MANY TIMES cheaper to produce and advertise.

And this game not only broke point already, its sold many times above breaking point.After 2 years, when this game is in 2 or 3 million sales, seriously, the " flop of hardcore in DS" will be a reminder of how biased and negative was the gaming media around the ds.

It's because of people like you that I even bother involving myself in these discussions. You are extremely overestimating their profit, and severly underestimating the development+extra costs.. "Big profits"? They've only sold 560k. Even if this was a cheaper DS titles their wouldn't be as big of profits as you are making it seem. This was easily one of the biggest budget games on DS. Considering Take-Two would only get about $10 per copy sold, they haven't made much money yet.

the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+Chinatown+Wars+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=FIFA+08+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

If this is indicative of anything, at least it is off to a good start towards 1 million. Plus, it may have a decent impact during Christmas. However, even when it does pass 1 million, it will still be claimed as a flop in the GTA series for poor reason.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

"We're very pleased with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

Aj_habfan said:
intro94 said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

It's because of people like you that I even bother involving myself in these discussions. You are extremely overestimating their profit, and severly underestimating the development+extra costs.. "Big profits"? They've only sold 560k. Even if this was a cheaper DS titles their wouldn't be as big of profits as you are making it seem. This was easily one of the biggest budget games on DS. Considering Take-Two would only get about $10 per copy sold, they haven't made much money yet.

im not really going into any outlandish exageration, this game certainly was done faster and MUCH cheaply than PS2, 360 or psp games, and the credits do show that the staff wasnt gigantic.Development costs for the most expensive DS game wouldnt even match the average PS2 much less a current Wii game like No more heroes , which granted a sequel after 200k units(and it took longer to get there too).  Plenty of DS games show better visual and still struggled to get half the sales of this game, while still warranting sequels. By no stretch of imagination i can be dense enough to figure that at 500k this game is barely meeting ends, specially when last year THQ explained that for certain WII (Not even DS) games, 200k was enough to break even.  Its pretty clear that this game will clear 1 million within a small time frame. 1 mil times 10, adusting to your scale, means 10 million in profits, which (and this might surprise you), its considered quite good for the gaming industry,even for games twice as expensive to make as this one.

Not only that, this game lacks voice acting, musical score fees(extensively used in other GTA games), CGI custscenes, complex 3d models and all the bulk of the expenses involved most GTA games. 

If you think they arent really making much money , then loads of developers of DS are making much much less, and still making sequels, probably they are doing it for free?.Or i might take my facts, add the fact the developers said they are VERY satisfied and conclude this is doing really fine.

Hisiru said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

"We're very pleased with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

Why don't you bold the rest of that sentence for me. "...with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

he never mentions the overall sales. They are pleased how it is still selling at a fairly high pace. If sales were to drop off today, do you think they would be pleased? Doubt it. They are counting on legs.

And Intro, it was stated that the staff working on the game was much larger than the PSP versions. I agree with you that if the legs continue, which is likely, it will go on to make lots of profit. At the moment though, there isn't much, especially when you consider this is GTA.

intro94 said:
Aj_habfan said:
intro94 said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

im not really going into any outlandish exageration, this game certainly was done faster and MUCH cheaply than PS2, 360 or psp games, and the credits do show that the staff wasnt gigantic.Development costs for the most expensive DS game wouldnt even match the average PS2 much less a current Wii game like No more heroes , which granted a sequel after 200k units(and it took longer to get there too).  Plenty of DS games show better visual and still struggled to get half the sales of this game, while still warranting sequels. By no stretch of imagination i can be dense enough to figure that at 500k this game is barely meeting ends, specially when last year THQ explained that for certain WII (Not even DS) games, 200k was enough to break even.  Its pretty clear that this game will clear 1 million within a small time frame. 1 mil times 10, adusting to your scale, means 10 million in profits, which (and this might surprise you), its considered quite good for the gaming industry,even for games twice as expensive to make as this one.

Not only that, this game lacks voice acting, musical score fees(extensively used in other GTA games), CGI custscenes, complex 3d models and all the bulk of the expenses involved most GTA games. 

If you think they arent really making much money , then loads of developers of DS are making much much less, and still making sequels, probably they are doing it for free?.Or i might take my facts, add the fact the developers said they are VERY satisfied and conclude this is doing really fine.

You said it perfectly.