By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two pleased with GTA: Chinatown Wars sales, sequel, Wii (and more)

I still don't get it why they just don't convert an old GTA game to the wii. Bully is great and the brilliant motion controls had their part to that.

No matter which old GTA they bring over to the Wii, I would buy it day one.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Hisiru said:
Aj_habfan said:
TheSource said:

Its at 500k+ on DS worldwide. The DS can make just about any title profitable once it clear ~150k-200k I would say, and even if this had a higher budget and advertising than most DS games it probably still ended up only needing to sell 300k or something.

I'm pretty sure when you are about to release a game that has one of the strongest names in gaming, you aren't just hoping you will be able to make it past the even point.

He never really says that he is satisfied with the sales, he dances around the question a bit. His immediate response to the question is, "The DS, typically, has longer legs in the sales cycle" - He's more pleased with the potential the game has in regards to sales, not how it has performed to this point.

"We're very pleased with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

Why don't you bold the rest of that sentence for me. "...with how that game is continuing to sell in the market"

he never mentions the overall sales. They are pleased how it is still selling at a fairly high pace. If sales were to drop off today, do you think they would be pleased? Doubt it. They are counting on legs.

And Intro, it was stated that the staff working on the game was much larger than the PSP versions. I agree with you that if the legs continue, which is likely, it will go on to make lots of profit. At the moment though, there isn't much, especially when you consider this is GTA.

They are pleased how it is still selling at a fairly high pace = They are pleased with the sales somehow (this is called "interpretation" here, I don't know how it's called where you live).

While I doubt we will see a Wii GTA (unless the userbase changes dramatically), I think M+ and some new IP would certainly be possible. Either way the point is clear GTA:CW is doing fine (not great, fine) Not to mention we are talking about the DS here. Last I heard you could pretty much make a DS game for the cost of a nice ribeye. Granted RS did more than the bare minimum, and it shows, but to suggest this cost anything like GTA4 or the PSP GTA's is laughable, sad, and ignorant.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

koopatrooper said:
there will be no gta for wii i just dont see it happening

... which is stupid because Godfather Blackhand was absolutely great on Wii. The controls lend itself really well to close and personal fighting and IR point is perfect for shooting.

Who cares what some lamo thinks about GTA:CW sales. I get my info from fanboys on the forums and they say its a flop, so...1+1=3

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
koopatrooper said:

... which is stupid because Godfather Blackhand was absolutely great on Wii. The controls lend itself really well to close and personal fighting and IR point is perfect for shooting.

Yup, that game has near-perfect Wii controls. More companies should have learned from it. It doesn't overuse motion, it doesn't underuse it, it uses it in intelligent and fun ways that add and do not subtract from the gameplay.

Everytime I see a Wii game with crappy wagglish controls, I think to myself, WHY COULD EA TACK MOTION ONTO AN EXISTING GAME 2 YEARS AGO, DO IT RIGHT, BUT YOU CANNOT?!

I think a Wii GTA would do fine. They would probably have to use the old Renderware engine, but that worked damn well back in the day, so it would be fine. (And save dev costs.)

I'm surprised at all the freaking out that was done over Chinatown wars. Portable sales are different from console sales. Rarely does anyone stand in line for hours to get a portable game, they typically sell well overtime, even the best of them. For instance, I'm going to be picking up Chinatown wars at some point, but I really don't feel the need to rush out and get it like I have with other games. (KZ2, Galaxy, Halo).

They said they are still evaluating which games to bring to which platforms so they aren't even in the planning stage yet. So by the looks of it, don't expect to see a GTA Wii game for a long time, if at all.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

volrath50 said:
superchunk said:
koopatrooper said:

Yup, that game has near-perfect Wii controls. More companies should have learned from it. It doesn't overuse motion, it doesn't underuse it, it uses it in intelligent and fun ways that add and do not subtract from the gameplay.

Everytime I see a Wii game with crappy wagglish controls, I think to myself, WHY COULD EA TACK MOTION ONTO AN EXISTING GAME 2 YEARS AGO, DO IT RIGHT, BUT YOU CANNOT?!

I think a Wii GTA would do fine. They would probably have to use the old Renderware engine, but that worked damn well back in the day, so it would be fine. (And save dev costs.)

I'm surprised at all the freaking out that was done over Chinatown wars. Portable sales are different from console sales. Rarely does anyone stand in line for hours to get a portable game, they typically sell well overtime, even the best of them. For instance, I'm going to be picking up Chinatown wars at some point, but I really don't feel the need to rush out and get it like I have with other games. (KZ2, Galaxy, Halo).

I agree with everything you said here, but you still missed an even more unbelievable fact. Rockstar already has a game like that with Bully on the market and the controls imo are even slightly better than Godfather'(well apart from the gun part which you can't compare 100% with godfather). So they know how to do it, but still don't develop a GTA (even if the graphics are worse, I wouldn't care). Shame on them.

venepe said:
the PSP port gives credit to the theory that the game was a flop, or at least that it did not met their expectations.

I tend to agree. Why release it on the PSP? It cannot be a straight port due to the lack of touchscreen, and they already stated exclusive content. If the game would have made the money they expected, then they would not need to invest in a PSP version.

You clearly didn't pay attention to what was done with the previous GTA games. Why would they port III, VC, and SA to the Xbox and PC whey they clearly made plenty on the PS2?

Ports don't mean flops. Those tend to reduce the chances of ports. Even Okami made money before it was ported (just not a lot).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

A GTA for wii, that'll be low from take-two, imo.