By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3277/Infamous-Review.htm

Gave Infamous a 58

I know the game has some issues, but 58 it is not.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Even the bad games on the Wii tend to get about 1-1.5 points lower than they really deserve, and it's even stricter for the better games. Most reviewers don't even keep it secret anymore. It's an abuse of the trust consumers have placed in them, and it should not be tolerated: it's time that we, the gamers, fired them for their malfeasance.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

@psrock, but thats one review man. There isn't an entire console bias against the PS3. Or the PSP or the PS2 for that matter.

That TW 08 example is quite interesting. Both versions are identical to the 07 versions and the Wii version has pretty good motion controls, according to quite a few, and yet its deficient.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

mike_intellivision said:
dahuman said:
This thread is some funny shit =D and I have to speak for Daemon for a sec here, there are people who don't like the Wii, and I can fully understand it, Daemon Hatfield is one of them, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like the good games on that system, good games will be good games. I don't always like what I see on the Wii myself, but that doesn't take my enjoyment away from good games on the system. it is only a problem when people think all Wii games are garbage simply because they don't like the system and ignore the good games on that particular console altogether. Haters are worse than Fanboys and are even lesser a real gamer, keep that in mind =P.

You are right that he has a right to his opinion.

But and does like good games.

But his opinion is that are no good games.

Which basically would seem to invalidate this argument.

Mike from Morgantown

go read his blog, I've never really felt his reviews were biased when he was on the Nintendo team, he does have some fav games on Wii.

well most wii/ds games gets significanly worse scores than their ps360 brothers, duh. we can't help it.
wii remote was "gimmick", "bad", "WTF IS THAT SHIAT", "useless", "wagglefest" to most gaming journalists ps3mote is "fucking awesome" to them eventhough it does the same stuff wiimote has been doing since 2006.
i don't care bout score since ds launch so i don't care much but it pisses me of that almost every ps360 game only have to look good to score 80+/100 while being the most generic, unimpressive and uninteresting game evah. while same game on the wii will have "worst game i ever play" comments or somethin in an instant(at best it would end up with 50-60/100 scores)

Around the Network
bardicverse said:

In relation to this, the FTC might have its way in the near future on curbing "solicited behavior" like this. The article is in a thread I posted here -  http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=77788&page=1

Since fanboys are running out of ammo, they're resorting to knocking down rival systems' games instead

Thanks for the link!  Wow, there's hope for this industry yet!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
psrock said:
megaman79 said:
TW 10 is rated down primarily because of its similarity to older versions, not controls.

Eurogamer's 70 is mainly a gripe about only a few cosmetic changes but even then its getting a 7 which is awesome from them.

dude, the wii version is getting higher rating because?

Because of the control, but I didn't see a single ps3 review were they mentioned the game sucks for not having the sweet motion of the wii. Of course the wii version gets better rated if it has realistic controls. They gave the wii version higher points because of the control, but they didn't give the ps3 less points because of it. There's a difference. The wii version also has more content than the ps3 version if you didn't know btw.

Lagless multi.

Maybe it is lagless because there is no real traffic? anyway everywhere else lagless online isn't an asset these days. It is a standard.

psrock said:

megaman79 said:
Shaun White -
Team Xbox

Shaun White’s not the best, nor the worst, snowboarding title we’ve ever played. And its greatest moments are occasionally dragged down by imprecise controls and a sometimes fun-siphoning story campaign.

PSX Extreme
If this open-ended style works for you, than you ought to have plenty of fun, especially if you can’t make it out to the slopes yourself. The controls aren’t always spot-on, the technicals are merely average, sometimes it can be tough to gather enough speed (not sure what that’s about), and locating those tokens can get immensely annoying.
Read Full Review

VideoGamer
It's clear that Ubisoft had some big ideas for Shaun White Snowboarding, but many of these have been hampered by an overly difficult control scheme, cumbersome navigation, a terrible map, too much collecting and a disappointing frame rate. The recreation of the four ski resorts is excellent, the online functionality is well thought out, and at times the views are magnificent, but the game just isn't as much fun as it should have been.

These examples suggest SW controls were a significant issue for reviewers, that's one.
Are they being scored higher than the average Wii game that's critisized for controls, i dk.

metacritic.

1. PC Games: Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) 60
Ubisoft

2. Playstation 3: Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) 63
Ubisoft

3. Xbox 360: Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) 60
Ubisoft

4. Playstation 2: Shaun White Snowboarding (2008) xx
Ubisoft

5. Wii: Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip (2008) 78

The wii gets much higher rating because its controls are so much better than the HD versions. Giving up yet.

@megaman, you speak as if the HD consoles have a control problems. Let me be clear, i don't envy the wiimote, i don't care for it. I am perfectly satisfied with the controls of the games that i play.

Shawn White Snowboarding is not a particularly good game to use to compare scores with because the Wii version was built from the ground up specifically for the Wii, and is actually a very different game ... If you took the Wii version of the game, ported it directly to the XBox 360/PS3 without graphical improvements it would still be a better game worthy of a higher score than the game that was released for the HD consoles.

Sup, I want to post this in here since REALLY it's Gamepro's review that sparked this. USA Today give the Conduit 3.5 out of 5, same as Gamepro. on the 5 scale it's a decent score. Difference is this is a PROFESSIONAL review. Check it out. (Pasted for the lazy, lol)

"The latest attempt to deliver more 'hardcore' video game experiences to the casual Nintendo Wii arrives in first-person shooter The Conduit. While the tight controls and hearty multiplayer mode would make any longtime gamer proud, the game's main story falls flat.

The Conduit follows secret service agent Mr. Ford as he investigates a series of attacks in Washington, D.C. by aliens called The Drudge. After his government employer, The Trust, betrays him during a downtown battle, Mr. Ford gets help from the mysterious Prometheus. Both characters work together to uncover The Trust's connection to these attacks.

The plot is interesting, but lacking depth. It's also hard to connect to the characters since you rarely ever see them. Many of their exchanges between levels take place through audio dispatches.

The Conduit's graphics have received much of the praise, and deservedly so, but it's the controls that truly shine. The default layout works nicely and feels comfortable to use. Players use the Wii remote to target and fire their weapon, or thrust forward for melee attacks. The nunchuk controls movement, target lock-ons and grenade tosses with a flick of the wrist.

The game also includes an incredible level of flexibility for tailoring the controls to your liking. Any action can be mapped to any button on the controllers. If players don't prefer chucking grenades with motion control, they can move it to a specific button. Players can also adjust a myriad of settings from turn speed to camera sensitivity.

During the heat of battle - most often after melee attacks - the crosshairs sometimes fly off screen, forcing players to shake the remote quickly to get them back. In single player mode, this wasn't a major issue, but when you move to the faster-paced multiplayer, it can prove frustrating.

Besides an impressive arsenal of both human and alien weapons -- the Hive cannon is among my favorites -- Dr. Ford has access to the All-Seeing Eye, or A.S.E. Players will use this to uncover cloaked enemies and mines or hack into computers. Hidden puzzles found with the A.S.E. reward players with special, souped-up weapons, but it's surprising more weren't use as a method for advancing through the game.

Overall, the "run-and-gun" campaign felt repetitive, even boring at times. It seems to lack an explosiveness. Missions are usually very basic, such as "destroy X number of alien egg sacs." While the levels look visually different, the structure feels very similar. Players run through corridors, blast foes and move to a larger room for a bigger battle. This formula is used repeatedly in almost every level.

Mr. Ford battles a small selection of enemies, including human soldiers controlled by The Trust and the alien Drudge, who seem to take influence from the Covenant of Microsoft's Halo series. Seemingly daunting enemies are pushovers when players learn some can't move as long as they're shooting at them.

Developer High Voltage Studios makes up for these shortcomings with a pretty solid multiplayer component. Entering matches is simple, and moving from fight to fight is seamless once players are grouped. Players choose between Free-For-All, Team Reaper and Team Objective. After starting with a quick deathmatch, players then vote on the next battle. They choose between match type (deathmatch, last man standing), weapon set (human, Drudge, explosive) and map.

Most matches ran smoothly, although there were a couple bouts with lag. Most of the match types are standard, but The Conduit did offer a couple interesting options. In Bounty Hunter, for example, players only earn points by eliminating a targeted opponent while dodging a second competitor hunting them down. In terms of online multiplayer options, The Conduit might be among the best the Wii has to offer.

While the multiplayer and controls are quite strong, The Conduit really misses the target in single-player with a bland story and campaign.

Price: $49.99
Publisher: Sega
Developer: High Voltage Studios
Score: 3.5 out of 5

By Brett Molina
Photos by Sega"

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/06/68443547/1

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?