By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepro reviews The Conduit, 3.5/5 wich is 70%

Really look at the arrogance of this twitter from the Gamepro reviewer who wrote the review (taelurkim)

Originally Posted by taelurkim:
@MitchyD Forget words. What i need is one of those Red Faction sledgehammers. And the addresses of everyone who bitches in our comments.
13 minutes ago from web in reply to MitchyD

So the reviewer is angry at GamePro's readers CUSTOMERS for using a feature of GamePro's website, the comments section. This section's entire purpose is for readers CUSTOMERS to give their feedback, and create a GamePro Community. Then after they become part of the community and tell the reviewer he did a poor job, he wants to hit them with sledgehammers? 
Any person who thinks this of their readers CUSTOMERS needs to be fired. Without the reader CUSTOMER none of these idiots would have a job.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

And in line with the GamePro twitter comedy, Garnett Lee is from 1Up and is currently writing the Conduit review for 1Up (looks to be negative as well after this quote):

Garnett Lee:
@MitchyD all that customization only amounts to a cry for help trying to adapt the Wiimote to something it just doesn't do all that well

Hm. Why is the RE4 Wii version considered to be the definitive version? Controls! With RE4, MOH:H2, COD:WAW, & MP3 the Wii has shown the superiority of the IR pointer for control over analog sticks for FPS. You have the nunchuck's analog stick for moving, you have the neccesary buttons. What the hell is this guy talking about?

The Wii controls are perfect for shooters, what the Wii doesn't do as well as other consoles is graphics and online. And both of those are great here. And Tiger Woods 10 proved without a doubt that gameplay and controls can mean more than graphics, although there are graphics whores that would disagree (and are probably still playing golf with their thumbs). We already know developers prefer graphics to gameplay as well since the best shooters are only developed for the HD consoles. But to say control in a FPS "is something the Wii just doesn't do well"? WTF?

Where does GamePro get these people?

BAM! There it is!

Gamepro is garbage. I don't think everyone reads their reviews. They give a 5/5 to everything.

--OkeyDokey-- said: Gamepro is garbage. I don't think everyone reads their reviews. They give a 5/5 to everything.

Everything?

BAM! There it is!

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Gamepro is garbage. I don't think everyone reads their reviews. They give a 5/5 to everything.... HD related

Around the Network

BTW, to see how easy the controls are to adjust, look at them here being adjusted within lag free online match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0FyEDrp7ec&feature=channel

Adjustments are made at 1:50. The video is poor quality, but you'll get the idea....

BAM! There it is!

this review has caused a shitstorm on the gamepro forums

http://www.gamepro.com/forums/topic/4472225/epitome-of-failure/22/

If any of the VGchartz reviewers even tried to pass off a review like that It would be derailed immediately by the editors.  This could be the worst review I've ever read.  Don't care about the score, but the content is what cries "jackass".

Reading the review and getting the score really doesn't match haha. From the way he writes it, it sounds like it should get a 2.5 or 3.0. Wonder what bureaucracy forced him to give it that.

But seriously, I don't even think he tried. Had a set score he had to give it and bashed it at any chance he gave. No effort, no time, no nothing. It just seems that supposed "hardcore" reviewers don't even try with Wii reviews any more. Unless it is Zelda or Mario or some other Ninty franchise from the old days, they just automatically assume it won't be good.

Ya know I kinda wish nowadays it was only Ninty fanboys reviewing the Wii games (such as at IGN) because really we seem to get more fair reviews that way.

1up review is not up yet, but might not be great either, remeber the reviewer wrote this fantastic twitter to the GamePro staff

Garnett Lee:
@MitchyD all that customization only amounts to a cry for help trying to adapt the Wiimote to something it just doesn't do all that well

His blog: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5324853

If you're looking forward to The Conduit hitting stores tomorrow you've probably been following the reviews going up today and maybe wondering what's up with the 1UP review. I'm on it and have played through the full campaign. That's only part of the story, though. Multiplayer figures to potentially be a big part of the game and I want to see how it goes in real world settings before putting a score to the full package.

So, in the meantime, what about the single-player game? For all the promise it held in the demos we saw the final game turned out decidedly ordinary. Sure, the controls are super-customizable but that amounts to an elaborate workaround for making the Wiimote/Nunchuk setup usable for a first person shooter. All the control fidelity in the world couldn't save the Conduit from its mediocre core design anyway. The story lacks anywhere near the character development or intricacy to pull off its lofty conspiracy theory aspirations. The level design comes off equally mediocre with a stand-em-up and knock-em-down linear progression of rooms, corridors, roads, and tunnels. Neither does the game's signature All-seeing Eye orb (the thing Michael has in his hand in some of the shots) get used for much more than a magic flashlight to reveal things invisible to the naked eye.

It's that gap between where The Conduit comes in at versus what it could have been that will be the most frustrating part for Wii gamers who've been looking forward to it. That's another reason I'm anxious to see how the multiplayer works out. Based on single-player alone it's hard to give The Conduit a very strong recommendation. Standout multiplayer could help make up some of that ground.

BAM! There it is!

radioioRobert said:

1up review is not up yet, but might not be great either:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5324853

If you're looking forward to The Conduit hitting stores tomorrow you've probably been following the reviews going up today and maybe wondering what's up with the 1UP review. I'm on it and have played through the full campaign. That's only part of the story, though. Multiplayer figures to potentially be a big part of the game and I want to see how it goes in real world settings before putting a score to the full package.

So, in the meantime, what about the single-player game? For all the promise it held in the demos we saw the final game turned out decidedly ordinary. Sure, the controls are super-customizable but that amounts to an elaborate workaround for making the Wiimote/Nunchuk setup usable for a first person shooter. All the control fidelity in the world couldn't save the Conduit from its mediocre core design anyway. The story lacks anywhere near the character development or intricacy to pull off its lofty conspiracy theory aspirations. The level design comes off equally mediocre with a stand-em-up and knock-em-down linear progression of rooms, corridors, roads, and tunnels. Neither does the game's signature All-seeing Eye orb (the thing Michael has in his hand in some of the shots) get used for much more than a magic flashlight to reveal things invisible to the naked eye.

It's that gap between where The Conduit comes in at versus what it could have been that will be the most frustrating part for Wii gamers who've been looking forward to it. That's another reason I'm anxious to see how the multiplayer works out. Based on single-player alone it's hard to give The Conduit a very strong recommendation. Standout multiplayer could help make up some of that ground.

But what I never understand is none of this ever comes up in those big games on the PS3 or 360.  I mean they act as if The Conduit is the first big game to have things like that.  When it comes to the big shooters on the other consoles it's deemed "unimportant considering how awesome the core gameplay is".  But here all of the great controls couldn't save the mediocrity.  It's quite the double standard when it comes to this and I don't appreciate it.

And I don't think it is just Wii bias, they do it with big hyped (or big brand) shooters, RPGS, sandbox, whatever compared to less hyped or new properties too.  I just get so infuriated sometimes with the gaming media because of that double standard.  But I guess I shouldn't be so surprised considering it is exactly like this in any media form.