By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - whats the best SRPG you have ever played ?

But if we say "involves role playing" then I have to have that assinine argument with Stage again about how not being able to change the story makes it not playing a role. involving role playing is a very iffy and indistinct requirement in my book. My three requirements are very easily distinguished for whether they are in a game or not.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Khuutra said:

I apologize, I appear to be stepping all over my own feet.

I am disagreeing with your distinction. The difference between a role-playing game and a non-role-playing game cannot be a game mechanic that does not involve role-playing. There are complex turn-based strategy games and simplistic ones, just like there are plot-based turn-based strategy games and those without any plot at all. There are TBS games that carry over units, and others that don't. The only distinction with "SRPGs", by virtue of the word itself, is the fact of playing a role. Trying ot come up with any definition dependent on somehting other than that is ignoring what 'RPG' means.

Advance Wars is an RPG. Risk isn't.

I think how you imagine things should be and the way the genres have evolved over the years differ.

I think you'll find that Strategy is a genre, but SRPG isn't according to any canon.

(I may be wrong but I do not think so)

Torillian said:
But if we say "involves role playing" then I have to have that assinine argument with Stage again about how not being able to change the story makes it not playing a role. involving role playing is a very iffy and indistinct requirement in my book. My three requirements are very easily distinguished for whether they are in a game or not.

No, my definition of role-playing is pretty iron-clad. You play the role of a character, whether or not the only way you can change the outcome is win vs. lose. You can say that it's bad role-playing, but that is always, always role-playing.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

This is my top 3, but I have not played Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn yet and expect it to take the #3 or even #2 spot when I do (based on the fact that Shadow Dragon is so good and i've heard Radiant Dawn is a good bit better)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Khuutra said:
Torillian said:

No, my definition of role-playing is pretty iron-clad. You play the role of a character, whether or not the only way you can change the outcome is win vs. lose. You can say that it's bad role-playing, but that is always, always role-playing.

Well I personally define role playing as having an overarching story and character development that goes throughout the entire game, so I think you and I are basically saying the same thing.  I just can't don't want to say role-playing.  I swear Stage can feel it in his blood when someone says that about a non WRPG lately.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Khuutra said:
Torillian said:

Well I personally define role playing as having an overarching story and character development that goes throughout the entire game, so I think you and I are basically saying the same thing.  I just can't don't want to say role-playing.  I swear Stage can feel it in his blood when someone says that about a non WRPG lately.

Well I'm not S.T.A.G.E., for sure. I haven't read those discussions, either, so I don't know his opinions on the matter.

Lots of good SRPGs. They're actually fun, unlike traditional Final Fantasy-type JRPGs.

Shining Force I-II
Fire Emblem (all of them I've played; currently playing Shadow Dragon)
Dark Wizard

Are my favorites. Just got a PSP so I'll have to try out Jeanne d'Arc. Any more good SRPGs on PSP besides Jeanne?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Khuutra said:

I think you'll find that Strategy is a genre, but SRPG isn't according to any canon.

(I may be wrong but I do not think so)

Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  It sounds like you're trying to say sRPG isn't a genre which seems silly.  Strategy/Tactical RPG is a recognized genre among most gamers, video gaming websites, and developers.

How about Brigandine for PS1 thats my favorite one of all time hand down.

Well, i have only played 2. so i have to say operation darkness