By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - whats the best SRPG you have ever played ?

salaminizer said:

I always thought of "SRPGs" as those games made in Japan (can't think of any western game that fits the following description) that give you a bunch of characters which will interact between battles that happen in a grid and the rules are defined by common "JRPG" aspects - items, levelling, spells/abilities. and, in these moments that you are not fighting, you will also "manage" your army. examples in this genre are: Fire Emblem, Luminous Arc, FF Tactics, Jeanne D'arc.

so even though the name Strategy RPG is generic and you could say that most RPG games have a strategic component too, I'm happy with MY description and it allows me to separate games in genres in a nice way. with that said, I don't include Advance Wars in the genre.

feel free to disagree, but I'm absolutely not going to discuss haha it's enough to watch Khuutra and Words of Wisdom arguing without even knowing if they agree or disagree

All of those examples you mentioned existed in pen and paper turn-based strategy games before the home computer even existed. The first role-playing games were actually TBS games with role-playing elements incorporated, even though you only played the role of a CO in a big war (thanks, David Arneson).

"SRPG" is redundant as a genre classification.

Around the Network

Fire Emblem Radiant Down,
Disgaea psp,
Jeanne D'arc,
Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA,
there was this 2d japanese srpg on ps2 though i don't remember the name and knowing the fact that there were 50+ or somethin srpgs on ps2 probably won't help me.

Khuutra said:

All of those examples you mentioned existed in pen and paper turn-based strategy games before the home computer even existed. The first role-playing games were actually TBS games with role-playing elements incorporated, even though you only played the role of a CO in a big war (thanks, David Arneson).

"SRPG" is redundant as a genre classification.

sRPG isn't redundant.  It fulfills its purpose quite well.

Warcraft 3 if that counts... more of an RTS though. Probably FF:Tactics War of the Lions then.

Hmm... haven't played that many yet

Vandal Hearts
Final Fantasy Tactics

Around the Network
Torillian said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
off-topic, but is the dlc for valkyria chronicles any good ?

Behind her Blue Flame is good, Eddy's Mission is meh.

I also liked the expert mode due to the vastly different troop placements involved. The expert mode turns the skirmishes into actual challenges.

Scoobes said:

Warcraft 3 if that counts... more of an RTS though. Probably FF:Tactics War of the Lions then.

If we don't take being turn-based as being necessary, yeah, Warcraft 3 would count, especially since unit levels carry between missions in the campaign mode.

....But my understanding is it needs to be turn-based.

I hate to sound like a noob, but Final Fantasy Tactics still dominates my heart. Haven't played it in about a decade, though.

Shining Force 3 still blows away every SRPG even to this day. It's a shame the saturn had to fail right when this game came out resulting in a very limited release.

Hopefully, someday sega will get their act together and redistribute this game on one or all of the consoles downloadable networks. Amazing game.

Final Fantasy Tactics. In fact it's the only one I played in its entirety. I really liked it though... maybe I should get a Valkyria Chronicles or Fire Emblem...

Signature goes here!