By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds to Activision Threat

First, that wasn't a response to Activision-Blizzard, that was a response to the reporter asking about the matter. Politely saying "fuck off".

About the matter itself, the pricecut is only an excuse, or does ActiBlizzard have many PS3 exclusives coming out. What they are after, is a cutdown in licence fees. It's only a good excuse, since all the gamers agree, Sony can't do it in the current financial situation and if it happens, there's always the complaint about too expensive dev costs left.
The PS3 pricecut is likely to have only little effect for them, since the pricecut would only hit 360 sales the most, in a long run, when licence fee cut would have immediate and sustaining effect.

They could leave a big game or two, that will make profit on 360 and PC anyway, out of PS3 to prove they're serious (which they unlikely are) and M$ could moneyhat them (give a free pass from licence fee) for "exclusivity", to make up the loss.

When you look at it, it's a lose-lose to Sony, win-lose to ActiBlizzard and win-win to M$.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

The problem is that Activision is the biggest developer, and with Diablo 3 a nice title to port to consoles...the threat is very real. If i was M$, I would glad throw some $$$ the way of Activision-Blizzard to get the game on the 360...it's already been stated how easy it is to port Pc games to the 360 anyway.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
The problem is that Activision is the biggest developer, and with Diablo 3 a nice title to port to consoles...the threat is very real. If i was M$, I would glad throw some $$$ the way of Activision-Blizzard to get the game on the 360...it's already been stated how easy it is to port Pc games to the 360 anyway.

very very unlikely that D3 is going to come to console..

It's been developed with mouse in mind and Blizzard have stated several times they have no project to do this.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I hope Sony raises the price of the PS3 so that they can start making even more money on their console sales!

JEDE3 said:
Oh stevie. Some Sony DLC outsells some 360 exclusives too.

True. But in the scheme of things the sony dlc outselling an exclusive like Infinite Undiscovery is not something to write home about.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
Garamond said:
I hope Sony raises the price of the PS3 so that they can be even more irrelevant!

Fixed for what would actually happen.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

I seriously doubt Activision will stop supporting the PS3.

Aiemond said:
JEDE3 said:
Oh stevie. Some Sony DLC outsells some 360 exclusives too.

True. But in the scheme of things the sony dlc outselling an exclusive like Infinite Undiscovery is not something to write home about.

Its called cherry picking no matter what the situation

This is all a bunch of chest thumping...

In order for Sony to meet its goal forecasted goal to investors to ship 13 million PS3's in fiscal 2009-10 they have to cut price for the holiday season.

Sony has only sold 3.2 million this year so far. By September they will be at about 4... That means that they will need to sell 9 million consoles from September through the end of March... Last year they did about 6.2 million in that stretch. Given that Sony sales have declined this year over last, and it looks like 360 and PS3 will go head to head, and game for game in this time frame, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what Sony needs to do to try and meet their goal. Drop the price.

I find the Activision chest thumping to be pretty lame, because there is no doubt Sony needs to move on price. And I doubt there is any model out there that will show anything other then a price drop helping Sony meet its goal.

Ail said:
heruamon said:

very very unlikely that D3 is going to come to console..

It's been developed with mouse in mind and Blizzard have stated several times they have no project to do this.

They did...I missed that news.  Blizzard is pretty independent of Activision, so if they said no consoles for Diablo 3...guess it must be true.  Diablo 3 seems like a game that could be translated to consoles without too much difficulty, but I'm not a developer.  I DO remember this article from last year, and if they really wanted to, it seemed possible that it could happen:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/05/diablo-3-theoretically-possible-for-console-port/

"In our interview with Diablo 3 lead designer Jay Wilson, it was explained that there were no plans to bring the long-awaited title to any platform other than PC and Mac. However, in the six days that have passed since said interview, a couple of Blizzard higher-ups weren't quite as dismissive of the possibility of the dungeon crawler making an appearance on our primitive gameboxes -- though the language used to describe this possibility hasn't exactly given us high-apple-pie-in-the-sky hopes.

When asked about a console rendition of the third entry in the Lord of Terror-slaying franchise, Blizzard COO Paul Sams gave an inconclusive "I don't know yet," though Vice President of Game Design Rob Pardo suggested a console port was "theoretically possible," as out of all of Blizzard's franchises, Diablo would be the most console-friendly. We guess a theoretical "yes" is better than an actual "no", or a metaphorical "maybe", but we're still not holding our bated breath for a non-compy version of Diablo the Third. "

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder