By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds to Activision Threat

yes! its the end of sONY!!

hello how are you.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Just one small thing people need to realize is that the 13 million forecasted sales is just their preliminary forecast. Last year they had predicted over 12 million I believe (not sure exactly), but then lowered their forecast down to like 10 million which they just barely made.

What I am saying is they always predict high to start off with, and will likely adjust it lower just as they did last year.

I'm not saying there won't be a price cut because they surely need one and will likely be able to afford at least a $50 one soon, but even with a late cut I don't see any way of them making their 13M goal. Even a $100 cut and a slim before the holidays would only swing an extra million or 2, which would still put them short about 1 million short of 13M since their start of this year has been so rough.

Sony forcasted 10 million from the get go. The time they lowered it was the year before.

bonkers555 said:
What I'm saying is Sony and Sony Fanboys shouldn't play with fire. If Sony lose support from Activision or EA then you can kiss the PS3 goodbye in North America.

But thet won't. 

Gamerace said:
Carl2291 said:
From what people have been saying, this could be a "my bitch" thing.

Like, Sony have stated the 13Million... which basicly = Pricecut.
And Activision are like... CUT THE PRICE OR ELSE >:(
Its looking like a "yeaaah Sony is our Bitch"

Personally I don't see it that way.

Assuming Sony cuts the price of the PS3 prior to the holiday season, MS will easily counter that with a price cut of their own (which could happen irregardless) and effectively anul any benefit the still overpriced PS3 would have gotten from it.    Why buy a $299 - $349 PS3 when you can get a $249 Wii or $149-249 360? 

It Sony wants to benefit from a price cut it must do it NOW.  However, I think Sony has lost quite enough money on PS3 already so I don't see it happening, Activision be damned.

Because people value playstation higher. The 360 is already priced that low here in europe. It's almost the same as a ps2.

Also i already posted this in the other thread but noone seemed to notice. I also had a comment by pachter

Sony Europe has since commented: “We respect our third-parties’ opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story."

Meanwhile, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter also chipped in, accusing Kotick of 'bluffing.' “Of course Bobby’s bluffing, and good for him,” he said in a phone interview.

“I think Bobby’s obviously interested in Sony selling as many PS3s as they possibly can, and he’s not happy with their penetration so far. I think he favours a price cut, and would rather see one sooner than later.

My source below.

http://www.psu.com/%5BUPDATE%5D-Activision-might-have-to-stop-supporting-Sony-News--a007604-p0.php

Check out my game about moles ^

Gamerace said:
Carl2291 said:
From what people have been saying, this could be a "my bitch" thing.

Like, Sony have stated the 13Million... which basicly = Pricecut.
And Activision are like... CUT THE PRICE OR ELSE >:(
Its looking like a "yeaaah Sony is our Bitch"

Personally I don't see it that way.

Assuming Sony cuts the price of the PS3 prior to the holiday season, MS will easily counter that with a price cut of their own (which could happen irregardless) and effectively anul any benefit the still overpriced PS3 would have gotten from it.    Why buy a $299 - $349 PS3 when you can get a $249 Wii or $149-249 360? 

It Sony wants to benefit from a price cut it must do it NOW.  However, I think Sony has lost quite enough money on PS3 already so I don't see it happening, Activision be damned.

i do not see M$ cutting the price for xbox for a long time as they said themselves that they are not gonna do that.

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:
nightsurge said:

Just one small thing people need to realize is that the 13 million forecasted sales is just their preliminary forecast. Last year they had predicted over 12 million I believe (not sure exactly), but then lowered their forecast down to like 10 million which they just barely made.

What I am saying is they always predict high to start off with, and will likely adjust it lower just as they did last year.

I'm not saying there won't be a price cut because they surely need one and will likely be able to afford at least a $50 one soon, but even with a late cut I don't see any way of them making their 13M goal. Even a $100 cut and a slim before the holidays would only swing an extra million or 2, which would still put them short about 1 million short of 13M since their start of this year has been so rough.

Sony forcasted 10 million from the get go. The time they lowered it was the year before.

It appears I did have the years mistaken.  Last year they just dropped their profit expectations by a ton, but not their actual console sales target.

Thank you, JED

How is "no comment" really a response? That's just a comment saying that you won't respond.

"We respect our third parties opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story."

A very diplomatic response.  Good on Sony.

Funny -- the story says "Sony has issued a response" and that response is that it does not intend to respond.

The last time I looked, if you don't intend on responding, you don't say anything (unless asked).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Activision are just scared because most of there up coming games come with a gimmick like tony hawks ride and DJ hero making the cost of these game more expensive... PS3 and 360 are selling about the same there just having a cry there not going to drop PS3 support