By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WHEN did you give up on Sony

It was a combination of the PSP and the PS3 that really made me think that Sony had lost its way, and made me question whether Sony ever knew what it was doing ... Both systems were expensive, focused on multimedia functions and the adoption of movie formats people hadn't shown an interest in yet, and (basically) were built off of the statement that technical advancement in games was all that mattered (even though Sony had been successful when they produced less technically advanced hardware than their competition).

Edit: I should also mention that at a similar point in time Sony was on a rampage of screwing as many customers as they could with installing rootkits and exploding batteries; and their "viral" marketing campaigns seemed very sleezy by doing things like (illegally) spraying corporate graffitti on people's buildings.

Around the Network

E3 2008 for me. Personally it was never the price that kept me away from them, just the fact that the games I was interested in werent on ps3. Lost Odyssey FTW

Never did. The way this gen's looking for SONY, I doubt I will.

4 ≈ One

I gave up on Sony when they gave up on us. So basically when they started lieing about the PS3.

"Leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game company’s, who don't know or care about you!"

i gave up on them when they stopped producing RPG's for there expensive console

Around the Network
StanGable said:
The moment they announce the price and claiming that they would outsell the competition regardless

Lol at Sony

They said they didnt care about the competition, how does that equal outselling them regardless of price?

mM

I've always hated Sony (even before they released the Platstation line), but I hated them even more when I found out they added a rootkit to their CDs. Then when they tried to fix the problem, they made it even worse. Buying Sony is like buying Harley Davidson, Nike, or Apple, you are paying a lot more just for name brand.

However, I like my PS3

So I guess I never gave up on them, since I never really liked them in the first place

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I haven't given up on Sony. Their first party is still excellent, they have all of my favourite series, the PS3 gets great third party support (support is not exclusivity, by the way), and I've never disliked a Sony console- I've loved all of them.

I've never been tempted by motion sensing, and I felt no great desire to get a 360 in 2005 when so many awesome games were still being made for PS2.

Good enough?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I haven't and it's unlikely I'll give up on their future consoles. Unless they go the Wii route or stop releasing decent 1st party games or something like that. Not whiny bullshit reasons like PR lies/exaggerations or other stuff they have done that has absolutely no relation to gaming.

Never owned a Sony console personally but my son had a PS2. He went from that to Wii to 360 (I now own the Wii). He left Sony because 360 was more affordable, all his friends had one, it had all the same games (that he wanted) plus a lot he wanted that were exclusives and the online is superior - when he can afford it - lol.

He has no interest in ever getting a PS3, although I suspect he'll go over to the neighbours to play God Of War III for 6 hours when it comes out.