By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - M rated games and religion

Andrew your asking on a gaming website if it's ok to play violent games, as most people here clearly do it's unlikely that many are going to say that it is wrong.

The people you should be asking are your parents.

Anyway here is a little bit of info & advice.
The meaning of being a christian is to be an imitator of Christ. You have to ask yourself
would christ do this?
Would he be happy for you to pretend to shoot someone for the fun of it?
How do you feel when you play it? Agressive? Angry? Happy? how does it effect you?
The ask yourself about the content of the game, does it have any demonic aspects etc.

It's a grey area and so I understand it isn't easy, but whatever you decided you must make sure that in your heart your ok with it, and that you really do belive God is ok with it too.
In the end it's between you and God, thats a private relationship and what you decide could affect it.

Like in every hard choice do this.
Pray to God.
Read what the bible has to say on the subject and be honest with yourself
Discuss it with your parents and older people you consider "wise" in your faith.

If you really think a game is simply bad and your friends want to play it with you. Say no, if they are friends they will learn to respect your beliefs.
Saying no to the minor things now makes it easier to say no to the major ones later on in life.
Stick up for what you belive just like you did on this board ;)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

personally, you should look at each game and decide for yourself whether you think it's ok or not. Letting the church or the bible rule your life is a fast way to being unhappy with yourself. Religion provides a guide but it's up to you to decide how to interpret it. You have to make decisions for yourself rather than relying on the Bible or the Church to make those decisions for you.

Given that no one in this thread can agree on it you'll probably end up just making your own decision and saying that God said it was ok anyway. God's not some dude watching everything you do and checking it against a "Sin or no Sin" rulebook to determine whether you're going to heaven or hell. That's Santa Claus ;). The religious beliefs basically boil down to one golden rule, treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. If you think it is ok, then you won't be punished for it, God won't hate you for it. Your family won't disown you for it. Just go with your heart.

In the end, these "rules" you're trying to find were laid down by people who have never played a video game in their life, and have no idea what they're about. The Jack Thompsons of this world. You think your local priest knows anything about video games? Go with your heart, and you'll find that you're heart is always correct.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
personally, you should look at each game and decide for yourself whether you think it's ok or not. Letting the church or the bible rule your life is a fast way to being unhappy with yourself. Religion provides a guide but it's up to you to decide how to interpret it. You have to make decisions for yourself rather than relying on the Bible or the Church to make those decisions for you.

Given that no one in this thread can agree on it you'll probably end up just making your own decision and saying that God said it was ok anyway. God's not some dude watching everything you do and checking it against a "Sin or no Sin" rulebook to determine whether you're going to heaven or hell. That's Santa Claus ;). The religious beliefs basically boil down to one golden rule, treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. If you think it is ok, then you won't be punished for it, God won't hate you for it. Your family won't disown you for it. Just go with your heart.

In the end, these "rules" you're trying to find were laid down by people who have never played a video game in their life, and have no idea what they're about. The Jack Thompsons of this world. You think your local priest knows anything about video games? Go with your heart, and you'll find that you're heart is always correct.

Probelm is, my heart says video gmes are bad news. But I love to play video games :(

I guess I will compormise, and not play vioent video games. Though god of war looks amazing :( 

andrewpeirce said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Probelm is, my heart says video gmes are bad news. But I love to play video games :(

I guess I will compormise, and not play vioent video games. Though god of war looks amazing :(

Are you sure? It seems more and more you're trying to justify playing video games to yourself. Take it on a case by case basis. My personal belief is if it doesn't hurt anyone, why should someone try to stop you doing something you enjoy? If you're posting this looking for justification then you're not going to find it. Look and think to yourself "why should I not play violent video games". If the only reason you can come up with is "The Bible says it's bad" then I would suggest you just ignore that and do it anyway. If you think of a good reason from yourself, then don't play them. In the end, religion is what we make of it.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

andrewpeirce said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Listening to your heart can be right and can be wrong, Ezekial tells us that our hearts are deceiptful and wicked above all things.  The best thing to do is to listen to God's Word.  When it comes to video games, I do not look to religion, I look to my relationship with Christ.  If games consume your life, like anything, then it is wrong.  As far as evil in games and M rated games, I do not play them because I know that you cannot get those things out of your mind and God tells us not to think on things that are not of a pure nature.  Therefore senseless killing and brutality can only damaged your mind no matter what anyone says.  Your problem in my opinion is that you are looking to religion for the answer.  You need a relationship with God through Christ, not religion.  There is only one way to heaven and that is through repentance and trust in Jesus Christ alone. 

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network
kazadoom said:
andrewpeirce said:
omgwtfbbq said:

Listening to your heart can be right and can be wrong, Ezekial tells us that our hearts are deceiptful and wicked above all things.  The best thing to do is to listen to God's Word.  When it comes to video games, I do not look to religion, I look to my relationship with Christ.  If games consume your life, like anything, then it is wrong.  As far as evil in games and M rated games, I do not play them because I know that you cannot get those things out of your mind and God tells us not to think on things that are not of a pure nature.  Therefore senseless killing and brutality can only damaged your mind no matter what anyone says.  Your problem in my opinion is that you are looking to religion for the answer.  You need a relationship with God through Christ, not religion.  There is only one way to heaven and that is through repentance and trust in Jesus Christ alone. 

Well said kazadoom.  Much of adrewpeirce's q & a have been based on the topic of religion.  Religion might get you to church, but only truly knowing Jesus Christ gets you to heaven.  Assuming adrewpeirce is a beliver in Christ, this is something that he must come to grips with between him and his individual walk with Christ.  Listening to advice can be helpful as well, as long as it is Biblical advice.

Here's my two cents - Paul said it best - whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.

1 Cor. 10:31

Just ask the Lord for an answer. But be prepared for Him to say 'No.'

*sighs* I am an atheist. But if there was a heaven and hell, and god sends people to hell for enjoying violent video games, then god is a total dick and every single person who ever so much as enjoyed a horror movie is going to hell. Also I began playing FPS when Turok Dinosaur Hunter came out, and I was maybe.......9? 10? Then Goldeneye. Then Turok 2.....rented a few....then Timesplitters, then Timesplitters 2, Timesplitters 3, then Resistance. RE4 fits around between TS2 and TS3. I have no objection whatsoever to those games. I enjoyed them heartily, and screw god if he has a problem with that.

Apostrovich said:
*sighs* I am an atheist. But if there was a heaven and hell, and god sends people to hell for enjoying violent video games, then god is a total dick and every single person who ever so much as enjoyed a horror movie is going to hell. Also I began playing FPS when Turok Dinosaur Hunter came out, and I was maybe.......9? 10? Then Goldeneye. Then Turok 2.....rented a few....then Timesplitters, then Timesplitters 2, Timesplitters 3, then Resistance. RE4 fits around between TS2 and TS3. I have no objection whatsoever to those games. I enjoyed them heartily, and screw god if he has a problem with that.

"If God controls the land and the sea and keeps a watchful eye on me...If he's really so damn mighty, Well my problem is I can't see, well, who would want to be....who would want to be...such a control freak"

Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse)

From the song Bukowski 

"If people are only good because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
Albert Einstein.

Fear of god is a lousy reason not to do something.