By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - M rated games and religion

Can anyone provide a Link on teh methodists church's stance on 17 year olds and older persons playing M rated games? I have no M rated games, but I am turining 17 next week, and want to play Resident evil 4 for Wii. But I also want to stay true to my reliigon, and cannot find anything about it. Thanks for helping me out.

Around the Network

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Sorry Vagabond, its a concern for me. I am sure it sounds weird to you though :(

I suggest you read your Bible. Church is important, and I attend faithfully myself, but any church that tries to provide truth outside of the context of God's Holy Word treads upon dangerous ground.

There are several key Biblical principles that would provide insight to your question. I could provide them for you if you wish.

I don't really think the Methodist church has a stance on playing video games.. I mean what spiritual law are you breaking by doing that?

Around the Network

You'd have to find a some forum that has Methodist reviews of the material, which I'm sure exist and rates individual games, not a single issued rating, but if I remember correctly I read some where a religious advisory on resident evil 4 was not to let children play the game due to violent content (duh) but the content isn't questionable enough for them to advise adults against playing it,

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fagarcia75 said:
I suggest you read your Bible. Church is important, and I attend faithfully myself, but any church that tries to provide truth outside of the context of God's Holy Word treads upon dangerous ground.

There are several key Biblical principles that would provide insight to your question. I could provide them for you if you wish.

If you could that would be great. My guess is it is fine, but not if the game is centered around sex or defying God or something.

Wow, your church has a stance for that? Mine (catholic) seems to despise videogames... but only at the local level. I remember when pokémon was THE real thing, they said that "Gyarados" meant "anal orgy"... I was like ROFL

This may be interesting to you: http://www.methodist.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=opentogod.newsDetail&newsid=215

Good thing I don't even go to church.

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm not a religious person, but aren't methodists typically a middle of the road christian religion? If I am correct, I would assume that there would probably be no explicit rules on what is acceptable from a videogame.

With a little google-ing here is a christian centered game reivew:

http://www.ccgr.org/modules.php?name=MReviews&op=show&rid=349

fazz said:
Wow, your church has a stance for that? Mine (catholic) seems to despise videogames... but only at the local level. I remember when pokémon was THE real thing, they said that "Gyarados" meant "anal orgy"... I was like ROFL

This may be interesting to you: http://www.methodist.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=opentogod.newsDetail&newsid=215

Good thing I don't even go to church.

As far as I know, they don't have a stance (or it is not spoken of)

In conformation, I rember our youth-group pastor talked about not playing M games, but said games like KOTOR were awsome and we should play it. (I think KOTOR was Teen though...?)

The catholic church is usaully highly suspisouc of fads.  Correct me if I a wrong, but they hated Pokemon and Furbys? May be just pokemon, I can't rember.