By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: Microsoft has lost control of the NATAL hype

Can we all just stop saying silly things like "hype is always a good thing" and "No such thing as bad hype"?

I'm sure Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, GM and Chrysler will tell you that sure ain't the case.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Cueil said:
Neos said:
Slimebeast said:
ookaze said:
oli2 said:
I can't believe the number of people here that are on "kill the messenger" mode when we deal about Malstrom.

Words like "hardcore", "casual", "blue ocean" and "disruption" are thrown all over the place, but many of the incumbents fans don't really understand their meanings...

So much hate to Malstrom right there that i need to express it : "i support you, Mal !"

MS astroturfers are hard at work since months even here.

All these Malstrom threads make them inevitably come out, didn't you notice they all get huge numbers of posts trying to kill the messenger?

It's funny also that the MS astroturfers and shills (or viral marketers like Malstrom say) are still stuck in their "attack the messenger" and "syndrome of false authority" tactics. MS vaporware is always orchestrated so that their shills can do their job with the syndrome of false authority: how can you say Spielberg is lying? how can you say can't be believed? Of course, none of these people have any knowledge in gaming and can be fooled pretty easily.

I completely agree with Malstrom on this one BTW. For now, Natal is completely vaporware.

Vaporware was the main MS tactic to destroy its competitors in other fields, as MS is a marketing company.

But it doesn't seem to work in gaming industry. It sure enough didn't work against another competitor similar to Nintendo in master of their field: Apple.

I think this is why MS lost control of the Natal hype: vaporware doesn't work in the gaming industry, and they don't understand entertainment either (they never did since they started trying to steal from Apple 20 years ago).

I'm still waiting for true informations, like what exactly is in the SDK sent to developers? It's software AND hardware, right?

Where are the people who tested that Natal thing? I see only selected people tried it behind closed doors. This makes no sense and is just not like the Wii, at all.

If it ever comes out, I still say this Natal thing is bound to fail, with the current informations leaked.

Nintendo are successful because of honesty, originality, creativity and quality. Right?

But MS is a successful company only because they're nasty ruthless copycat liars.

Exactly!

Also, I still don't understand the MS and Sony fanboys. Years of laughing at the stupid wiimote, and now all of a sudden, it is the cool thing to do.  I bought my ps3 for the hardcore games, not for waggle. Sony and MS are going three feet under soon if they keep going like this.

You act as if every single HD gamer was against motion control... good job one siding this shit.  I don't know what to think of your comments... I mean are you a Wii fanboy of some sorts?  You can't seem to find a balance in your discussions and you keep talking about Microsoft as if this is the same company that it was in the 90s.  The Xbox team has gone to great lengths to find a solution they feel takes the next step and for this thought of trying something new they get dogged left a right.... I don't know about you, but you guys are sounding awful lot like the anti-wii guys did back when they showed off the Wiimote.

No. I'm tired of everyone in the world copying Nintendo. Over and over and over again. Shit's never going to end.

Also, I'm not wii fanboy. I'm still a Nintendo fanboy at heart

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

stof said:
Can we all just stop saying silly things like "hype is always a good thing" and "No such thing as bad hype"?

I'm sure Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, GM and Chrysler will tell you that sure ain't the case.

You are right and I agree, but this doesn't prove wrong that Malstrom snapped, the poor bast..d.  Someone doesn't notice it immediately just because instead of the old, trite believing to be, say, Napoleon, Julius Caesar, a snail or a kettle, he believes to be the Saviour of Nintendo.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Cueil said:
Jebus! Someone calling something vaporware when it has been shown multipul times and is at least a year out. There are just to many quotes we would put in our sigs, but most of you are just out of your mind. I haven't seen shit like this since the Wii's controllerr was shown

I remember seeing going to a conference in 93 and seeing a demo of what would later become windows 95 (it was supposed to come out within a year at the time). In that demo they ran a program with a bomb icon to show how it was "impossible for an application to crash" their new OS.

Legend11 said:
KungKras said:

This discussion was about the Natal hype not working as microsoft planned, and Malstrom is probably right about that. It has no release date and no true public demonstrations. It's vapourware. Microsoft can have all the goals thay want, but it all comes down to execution.

Just to clue you in, Natal was demoed on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and on other shows as well.  Seriously before you start making claims at least get a key known fact about the product correct.

I said no TRUE public demonstrations. Demonstrating with celebrities under controlled circumstances doesn't count!

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Legend11 said:
KungKras said:

This discussion was about the Natal hype not working as microsoft planned, and Malstrom is probably right about that. It has no release date and no true public demonstrations. It's vapourware. Microsoft can have all the goals thay want, but it all comes down to execution.

Just to clue you in, Natal was demoed on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and on other shows as well.  Seriously before you start making claims at least get a key known fact about the product correct.

I said no TRUE public demonstrations. Demonstrating with celebrities under controlled circumstances doesn't count!

The fact is that they have had public demonstrations of the technology.  It doesn't matter if some of them have been with celebrities.  Placing the word "true" in front of something to discount it is basically an attempt to ignore it.

Neos said:
Cueil said:
Neos said:
Slimebeast said:
ookaze said:
oli2 said:
I can't believe the number of people here that are on "kill the messenger" mode when we deal about Malstrom.

Words like "hardcore", "casual", "blue ocean" and "disruption" are thrown all over the place, but many of the incumbents fans don't really understand their meanings...

So much hate to Malstrom right there that i need to express it : "i support you, Mal !"

All these Malstrom threads make them inevitably come out, didn't you notice they all get huge numbers of posts trying to kill the messenger?

It's funny also that the MS astroturfers and shills (or viral marketers like Malstrom say) are still stuck in their "attack the messenger" and "syndrome of false authority" tactics. MS vaporware is always orchestrated so that their shills can do their job with the syndrome of false authority: how can you say Spielberg is lying? how can you say can't be believed? Of course, none of these people have any knowledge in gaming and can be fooled pretty easily.

I completely agree with Malstrom on this one BTW. For now, Natal is completely vaporware.

Vaporware was the main MS tactic to destroy its competitors in other fields, as MS is a marketing company.

But it doesn't seem to work in gaming industry. It sure enough didn't work against another competitor similar to Nintendo in master of their field: Apple.

I think this is why MS lost control of the Natal hype: vaporware doesn't work in the gaming industry, and they don't understand entertainment either (they never did since they started trying to steal from Apple 20 years ago).

I'm still waiting for true informations, like what exactly is in the SDK sent to developers? It's software AND hardware, right?

Where are the people who tested that Natal thing? I see only selected people tried it behind closed doors. This makes no sense and is just not like the Wii, at all.

If it ever comes out, I still say this Natal thing is bound to fail, with the current informations leaked.

Nintendo are successful because of honesty, originality, creativity and quality. Right?

But MS is a successful company only because they're nasty ruthless copycat liars.

Exactly!

Also, I still don't understand the MS and Sony fanboys. Years of laughing at the stupid wiimote, and now all of a sudden, it is the cool thing to do.  I bought my ps3 for the hardcore games, not for waggle. Sony and MS are going three feet under soon if they keep going like this.

You act as if every single HD gamer was against motion control... good job one siding this shit.  I don't know what to think of your comments... I mean are you a Wii fanboy of some sorts?  You can't seem to find a balance in your discussions and you keep talking about Microsoft as if this is the same company that it was in the 90s.  The Xbox team has gone to great lengths to find a solution they feel takes the next step and for this thought of trying something new they get dogged left a right.... I don't know about you, but you guys are sounding awful lot like the anti-wii guys did back when they showed off the Wiimote.

No. I'm tired of everyone in the world copying Nintendo. Over and over and over again. Shit's never going to end.

How did they copy Nintendo?  Wouldn't copying Nintendo basically be showing an "X-Mote" that works almost the same as a Wii Remote?  The fact is that Nintendo's console is not using the same technology. 

It seems to me that some people just don't want to see Sony or Microsoft enter the same blue ocean Nintendo is currently in.  That's pretty sad in my opinion since the competition is likely to benefit consumers.

Legend11 said:

How did they copy Nintendo? Wouldn't copying Nintendo basically be showing an "X-Mote" that works almost the same as a Wii Remote? The fact is that Nintendo's console is not using the same technology.

It seems to me that some people just don't want to see Sony or Microsoft enter the same blue ocean Nintendo is currently in. That's pretty sad in my opinion since the competition is likely to benefit consumers.

Microsoft should be credited for not directly copying Nintendo ... With that said, it should be noted that Project Natal isn't that different from what we have seen with the EyeToy/PSEye and it is (mostly) a response to the success of the Wii

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:

How did they copy Nintendo? Wouldn't copying Nintendo basically be showing an "X-Mote" that works almost the same as a Wii Remote? The fact is that Nintendo's console is not using the same technology.

It seems to me that some people just don't want to see Sony or Microsoft enter the same blue ocean Nintendo is currently in. That's pretty sad in my opinion since the competition is likely to benefit consumers.

Microsoft should be credited for not directly copying Nintendo ... With that said, it should be noted that Project Natal isn't that different from what we have seen with the EyeToy/PSEye and it is (mostly) a response to the success of the Wii

It may be in response to the success of the Wii, but it's not coping off of the Wii if anyone should be having their face smashed in for this it's Sony.  As for Natal and Eye Toy they both have a cam that can detect movement... the diffrence is that the Cam isn't necessary for tracking movement on Natal.  There is a thread about the differences of Natal, SMC, and Wii Plus somewhere... a lot of debating has come around about Natal and how it works, but one thing seems clear and that is the Cam isn't what makes Natal work it's simply there for identification and things like what happened with the woman who was playing with the water in the Milo video.

Neos said:
Cueil said:
Neos said:
Slimebeast said:
ookaze said:
oli2 said:

Exactly!

vs  vs   

Now maybe i'm just seeing things, but Project Natal doesn't look anything like a Wiimote... but that SMC look strangly like a Wiimote(with a ball)