By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: Microsoft has lost control of the NATAL hype

that kinda contradicts their marketing hype of no controller needed and the controller is "YOU!" part though. (/clapclap....) and if I do that, instead of breaking TVs, I'll be able to break through walls I guess.

Around the Network

I don't see it conflicting with the "hype" if it's optional.
And in case they really plan to let you hold things, I'm sure they will find a way to make it work with (light and cheap) plastic models that immitate the basic shape.

then the whole not needing extra accessories argument would be crushed, and you'd need a wristband for every single one since there is no standard controller, nothing but trouble, this is nothing but a pain in the ass.

I'm going to start all of my threads with the name Malstrom from now on.

Threads that start with the name Malstrom always get over 200 responses.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

@ dahuman )

No, the argument would still holds weight, because you don't "need" something that is purely _optional_.

And all MS has to do is implement the recognization software, so you can use a range of different objects and then make it mandatory for "360-licensed" plastic models to have wristbands (although I think that may be not needed as those likely weigh far less than a wiimote).They don't need to manufacture those themselves.

From my understanding that should protect them from possible lawsuits as people could have used different objects (e.g. the "safe" licensed models) or no object at all to play.

Around the Network

Natal reminds me of all hype and "demos" that went on for years with chicago. It managed to kill OS/2, might work again this time although the circumstances are different. Computer Vision simply has a ways to go as a field and is probably 5-10 years off from mass market applications (or at least that seems to be the academic consensus).

I have a suggestion for a NATAL "optional" object for feedback: a fork.
A fork would really be perfect for at least three reasons: it reminds both a Morrowind and a Planescape: Torment sidequests.
You can poke it in the eyes of innocent bystanders.
It remind me of a joke happened in my family decennia ago: in the late '20s or early '30s my maternal granny was passionately speaking about politics with her brothers and sisters-in-law, one of them nonchalantly handed her a fork and she absent-mindedly grabbed it and kept on speaking, widely gesticulating with that fork in the hand. When she stopped, finally she became aware of the fork, looked quite surprised for a moment, and everybody else burst into laughter.
And now, at last, thanks to NATAL Optional Fork™, everybody will be able to relive the same experience!
Hey, thinking of it, so my granny invented WiiMote and NATAL?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

dcIKeeL said:

Bill Gates was one of the forces that propelled Microsoft to go into gaming.

The direction the video game industry is headed is a very different version than you might be thinking. Do you think the evolution of the revolution Nintendo themselves started will cease at wiimotes and limited motion controls? The controls will need to get more innovative and groundbreaking. The technology required to accomplish these new controls and interfaces might outgrow what Nintendo is capable of. Nintendo is a gaming company and they have started a movement that might not lead to pure gaming anymore. The question isn't so much what has Nintendo started and where are they taking the industry. The question is where will Nintendos' competition take what Nintendo started?

I never said Microsoft will monopolize the game industry. I simply stated this is always their goal. I don't believe Microsoft can dominate Video Games like they dominate the OS market. However, they can certainly become the unquestioned leader. I do expect them to accomplish this sometime in the future. Microsoft unlike Nintendo and even more so sony, knows how to maket their products and strategize to gain the lead. Once they attain the lead, they hold it with a cyborg like grip.

Nintendo prior to Microsoft was my prefered console maker. I simply liked them better because I grew up with the company and had grown very fond of their first party titles. Once the N64 era came around, although I was happy with my console I always felt like Nintendo wasn't aggressive enough. Sony always seemed to one up Nintendo. Ever since then, Nintendo hasn't changed. Their just too nice. Nintendo showed some previously absent intiative this generation. From this point forward the other companies are going to push to even the playing field and even dislevel the field in their favor. Nintendo will have to answer back. How many failures can Nintendo sustain? How many failures can Sony and Microsoft sustain before their pushed beyond the brink? That is what I meant about Nintendo being outlasted.

Why do you have such a profound love for Nintendo? They turned their backs on us! They might have started the beginning of the end for this industry. They are no longer a gaming company for gamers, their a gaming company for non gamers. Am I suppose to be happy because Nintendo finally releases some first party titles for gamers? I feel sorry for Nintendo fans. Nintendo fans have been starved this generation of their quality games of old. Nintendo made a conscious decision to try to appeal to non gamers before they take care of us. We the gamers who have granted them everything they have. Nintendo has no third party support because hardcore games don't sell on the Wii. They don't sell on the Wii because there aren't that many hardcore Wii owners. Their first party? I'm sorry but what you perceive as a strength is really a weakness. Their true first party, the Marios and Zeldas and Metroids are few and far between. The shovel ware first party titles are just that, shovelware. Wii Fit, Golf and all the other terribly shallow, superficial titles they make are easily duplicated elsewhere. You're making a huge mistake by assuming that the casual mass market bases their game decisions on the same factors as the traditional loyalist gamers. Casuals will just flock to the newest kid on the block. Nintendo isn't building a fanbase with casuals. Their building a fanbase for motion controls. What will seperate Nintendo from the other consoles then?

There was a factor I haven't previously mentioned but that influenced my previous posts. Apple. I have a strong convinction that Apple is looking to join the Home console market. If Apple indeed does join the Home Console market, I don't believe Sony or Nintendo can withstand the heat. Apple and Microsoft have a strong rabid dislike for each other and the other companies might get caught in the crossfires. These companies are no joke. Apple and Microsoft know how to win.

OMG this is going to be long.

I should have stopped caring about your post when you started to talk about "hardcore" and casuals. Seiously, do you even know what "Hardcore" is? Starcraft is a hardcore game, with a competitive arena and E-sport status, Gears of war is not! It's casual. Counterstrike is more of a Hardcore game, Killzone is not! People that do godly speedruns of Super Mario Bros, the lost levels are hardcore. People that trash talk over Xbox live are not! Seriously people need to get the difference!

To quote you from earlier in the thread: "It's inevitable, MS will take over the gaming industry. Look at all it's gained in it's short time in the industry against heavily established, deeply entrenched companies like Sony and Nintendo. Do you think it's going to stop? BTW, you are aware that the HD consoles are getting closer and closer to the Wii's sales, right?"

Yea, you never said microsoft wouldn't take over the gaming industry, riiiiiight.

Looks like it's time for me to go get my Wii bingo board, I think I can get at least one bingo from this :P.

You are assuming:

1: Controllers need to get even more innovative, like it's some kind of tech race. lol

2: Microsoft and Sony will push the technology and the ideas that Nintendo introduced beyond what Nintendo is capable off.

3: Microsoft has better strategies than Sony or Nintendo, and that they will never ever let go if they get a grip on the industry.

4: Nintendo haven't responded to Sony's and Microsoft's attempts at invading the new market.

5: Just because Nintendo cannot survive as many mistakes as Sony and MS, they are bound to make as many mistakes.

6: BAAAAWWWWW Nintendo betrayed the "Hardcore" Their core franchises are too few and far between.

7: Titles like Wii sports and Wii fit are shovelware.

8: "HARDCORE!!!1!!!11!!1" titles don't sell on Nintendo systems.

9: Motion controls is everything that separate Nintendo from the competition.

10: Apple is going to enter that market, and together with MS they are going to OMG PWN everything.

As for my answers:

1: It's not a tech race. Everything boils down to what the software can do with the interface. HD systems are very expensive to develop for unlike the Wii. This means that it is highly unlikely that Sony and MS will ever be able to provode enough motion control software for the systems to be able to compete with the Wii.

2: Nintendo are experts when it comes to hardware. No need to worry about them. Oh sorry, I forgot, they are d00med!

3: Microsoft having a better strategy than Sony this gen is just because of the mistakes Sony made, counting them out in the next generation is just stupid. Nintendo have proven that they have the best and most profitable strategy, Microsoft is still stuck using their tricks from their PC buisness.

4: Nintendo revealed the motion plus at E3 2008, because that's when they expected the competition to introduce their motion controls. But the competition was just too slow. Nintendo was way ahead all the time. Nintendo is ready for whatever the others will do to counbter.

5: You cannot predict if a company is going to make mistakes. Nintendo has made mistakes in the past, but so far, Iwatas strategy has proven itself to be almost flawless. You cannot predict something as random as mistakes to be the downfall of Nintendo. Wait, I forgot, Nintendo are d00med!

6: Are you seriously even trying to make sense? The Wii was the first Nintendo system ever to launch with a Zelda game. Nintendo titles are coming out faster than any other Nintendo system before it. It's great to be a Nintendo fan these days with Nintendo games coming out this fast. Three Marios in the same gen haven't happened since the NES!

7:The titles are quality. You just don't like them becuse they are not made for you.

8: When is the last time a REAL game was made for Wii that was not by Nintrendo? We got a black and white slaughter fest, a GTA clone that wasn't as good as GTA (No more heroes fans, pleas don't hate me. I didn't mean what I said, it's just what the game looks like the first time you look at it.) And, of course the bloody "hardcore you've been waiting for" LIGHT GUN GAME. How about third parties make an RPG? A true Final Fantasy game perhaps? How about an FPS that's built for Wii not PS2? How about a decent 3D fighter like Soul Calibur and not some spinoff? After these games show up, we can talk about sales. Also your definition of "hardore" games, just like many others is really messed up

9: What separates Nintendo from the competition is not just tech. It's their software and buisness model.

10: Apple would be foolish to enter such a crowded market. They are much better off just trying to disrupt from elsewere (iPhone, iPod)

I LOVE ICELAND!

I don't think so...
It's a step forward....
Let's see how the people will react....?

It's me or walls of text made of white characters on gray background are almost unreadable?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!