By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: Microsoft has lost control of the NATAL hype

whatever said:
The fact that all the 360 fanboys feel the need to bash the article must mean its on the mark.

It was beyond stupid to start all this hype if the product is over a year away, probably longer.

Seen the drop in Wii sales in America this week?  The hype they've generated will cause problems for the Wii as some people will hold off buying if they were wowed by the hype.

Around the Network
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

Hi Mr. expert in Psychology! Do you know what you come off as????...................A scared scared little pup, just backed up into a corner, barking anxiously hoping the big bad wolf would just go away.

LMAO!!!! The 360 didn't support the xbox 1 because it sold 25 million consoles!!!! It had like 16% market share, why would they support it? Clearly it wasn't popular, it was just a stepping stone for the 360 to launch off. When the 360 released do you really think the original xbox was going to get any attention?? It had no where near enough killer apps, nor had it built a strong enough name to garner it's own attention while in the shadow of big bro 360. The ps2 on the other hand was the most succesful console ever! Continuing to support it wasn't a smart move, it was the obvious move!!

Are you really comparing nintendo's scope to Microsoft's??? Microsoft is a behemoth, a beast!! Built to devour everything in it's vecinity in order to stand....ALONE!! Not above all. Microsoft doesn't want to compete with nintendo, it wants to eliminate it. It has the money to outlast it and the scope to outperform it. Remember, MS's ultimate goal is always attaining a MONOPOLY!! Why? It's Bill Gates favorite game...

The reason Natal is getting so much attention is because it WOWED the general public. It didn't just wow the gaming public. We get wowed at things like cover systems and such that the general public just doesn't care for. Natal trancended all demographics and just wowed the world. It's pushing the limits of current technology not playing it safe in the tried and true ground of technology. It's is not the eye toy or pseye or little wiimotes, it is a product trying to revolutionize a revolution.

There's no product to hype??? Clearly there are, as well as games to show it off with, as well as having capabilities outside of gaming itself. Like UI navigation and interaction. They are going from show to show because people are very curious about it and want to see it in action. Microsoft has bought 2 camera companies and is looking to buy the 3rd who focus on this type of technology. They are recruiting extra help as well as eliminating companies from which sony and nintendo as well as any other companies can aquire the tech from. Do you really think they aren't serious? There's no product? 1000'S of developers hav kits in their hands as I type this. It's coming and you know full well. HAHAHAHA!! But of course, that's why you ranted so much.

The Xbox Natal rumor is just a rumor!!! However, it is a rumor I believe has a good chance to be true. The rumor however is not a new console, as in Microsoft's 8th gen console. The rumor is a new sku. That's all. It will be no different than a slim model, just more perks. I predict it'll be slightly smaller than the 360, about 10% smaller but no more. This will be largely do to the Natal Camera intergration. The internal hardware however will be substantially scaled downed. With a 32nm chip and a 45-60nm chip. As well as smaller more efficient heat sink etc. In terms of power it will be decently upgraded however. They are reportedly aiming for a price point below 300$ which is quite cheap for all the perks it has.

It's inevitable, MS will take over the gaming industry. Look at all it's gained in it's short time in the industry against heavily established, deeply entrenched companies like Sony and Nintendo. Do you think it's going to stop? BTW, you are aware that the HD consoles are getting closer and closer to the Wii's sales, right?

Aside from being the most stupid thing I have ever read for a long time. Would you dare E-mail this to malstrom himself? You know, he answers E-mails on his news page, not on VGchartz.

I LOVE ICELAND!

disolitude said:
KungKras said:
disolitude said:
KungKras said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Sony's "make money on software not hardware" philosophy has gotten out of control and almost killed Sony and Microsoft's game divisions as well.

The PS1 did what the SNES did, but was bigger and better. The only new interesting things the PS1 did were "fill whole CD's with FMVs" and "treat 3rd parties better than Nintendo does, and they will give you more support."

Also, selling hardware at a loss was nothing new. Sega selling the megadrive at a loss whas the reason that it could compete with the Super Nintendo.

No one has been able to prove this. Do you have an article stating this?

Its a fact that genesis is less powerfull and was made 2 years before the SNES. Yet it was always around the same price range, if maybe 50 dollars cheper. So it should have been cheaper to make...

Combined with the fact that Sega CD was sold at 299 (for a profit) and 32X was sold for 149 (for a profit) and Sega Saturn was sold for 399 (for a profit UNTIL sony cut the price on them to 299 and then cut it agian to 199 a year later.

And Dreamcast was launched at 199 in NA which was at cost...which was the main reason Bernie Stolar was fired by Sega of Japan. They wanted it sold for 249 and a profit.

I think its safe to say that Genesis was sold at cost if not a slight profit no?

I don't think I can come up with a reliable source, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the megadrive was around $190 until Tom Kalinske got hired in 1990 and cut the price od the console. From what I know, Tom Kalinske was a believer in the razor and blades model.

I am very curious as to how you know that Bernie Stolar was fired just because he wanted the DC to launch cheap. I thought that they fired him after the dreamcast launch because launches was all he did well. He made the Playstation launch big, but tried to prevent square from making Final Fantasy VII for the playstation and thus got fired. Sega hired him and he proceeded to fuck up the Saturn with his no-RPG-no-2D policies. Sega knew he would fuck up the Dreamcast and just let him do the launch well and then fired him. That's how I understand it anyway.

As for the Mega CD and the 32X, maybe Sega just considered them peripherals to make up the money lost by the megadrive on, just like selling controllers or memory cards at a profit.

About the playstation and Saturn, you forget that the playstaytion and the Saturn were both differently expensive to manufacture. Saturn was a monster when it came to components, and therefore much much more expensive then the playstation to manufacture. Playstation had a simpler design and thus Sony didn't suffer as much as Sega did from price cuts. Saturn was expensive to manufacture through it's entire lifespan, and playstation manufacture costs got cheaper.

Bernie stollar firing summary.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Bernie_Stolar

I think sega was using a lot of bundled games as razorblades in the razor and blades model. I remember sonic 1 bundle, sonic 1 and 2 bundle...but I had to save up my money to buy a snes or a genesis in 1992 and the were both similarly priced. Later in the lifecycle of the console they may have been 50 dollars cheaper until 1996 when the genesis was discontinued and fire sale was on.

I agree that Saturn was a beast cost wise. They used brand name parts and quality was top notch. My saturn still works and never misses a beat...see howmny PS1s work from 1996 :) PS2 was a better example of sony cutting price to eliminate competition. Just look at the losses sony had the year PS2 launched. You have the number 1 and number 2 platform (PS1 and PS2) and you lose 510 million dollars?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=72524&page=1

All in all, I dont think sega needed to sell hardware at a loss until PS1. Nintendo wasn't going to do it, 3DO wasn't going to do it and rest didn't matter. So this method was a disruption on how business was done...and Sony gets the credit for starting it. (or blame depending how you look at it)

I see, so that's why they fired Stolar. They should have gotten rid of him the first time he even mentioned his "policies".

Anyway, I still believe that Sega at some point was losing money on their hardware, but you may be right in that Sony popularized it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

leo-j said:
Im starting to think the media is being bribed to hype natal.. just like twitter..

Idk I didnt see the media going crazy when the eye toy or Wii remote was announced

I think you're right, at least to an extent. MS has their hands in a lot of media, so they might be holding the proverbial gun to journalists' heads. We know MS definitely has the money to make such a campaign.

@OP - Its funny, his rant about Spielberg was pretty much exactly what I said the week of E3.

dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

Hi Mr. expert in Psychology! Do you know what you come off as????...................A scared scared little pup, just backed up into a corner, barking anxiously hoping the big bad wolf would just go away.

LMAO!!!! The 360 didn't support the xbox 1 because it sold 25 million consoles!!!! It had like 16% market share, why would they support it? Clearly it wasn't popular, it was just a stepping stone for the 360 to launch off. When the 360 released do you really think the original xbox was going to get any attention?? It had no where near enough killer apps, nor had it built a strong enough name to garner it's own attention while in the shadow of big bro 360. The ps2 on the other hand was the most succesful console ever! Continuing to support it wasn't a smart move, it was the obvious move!!

Are you really comparing nintendo's scope to Microsoft's??? Microsoft is a behemoth, a beast!! Built to devour everything in it's vecinity in order to stand....ALONE!! Not above all. Microsoft doesn't want to compete with nintendo, it wants to eliminate it. It has the money to outlast it and the scope to outperform it. Remember, MS's ultimate goal is always attaining a MONOPOLY!! Why? It's Bill Gates favorite game...

The reason Natal is getting so much attention is because it WOWED the general public. It didn't just wow the gaming public. We get wowed at things like cover systems and such that the general public just doesn't care for. Natal trancended all demographics and just wowed the world. It's pushing the limits of current technology not playing it safe in the tried and true ground of technology. It's is not the eye toy or pseye or little wiimotes, it is a product trying to revolutionize a revolution.

There's no product to hype??? Clearly there are, as well as games to show it off with, as well as having capabilities outside of gaming itself. Like UI navigation and interaction. They are going from show to show because people are very curious about it and want to see it in action. Microsoft has bought 2 camera companies and is looking to buy the 3rd who focus on this type of technology. They are recruiting extra help as well as eliminating companies from which sony and nintendo as well as any other companies can aquire the tech from. Do you really think they aren't serious? There's no product? 1000'S of developers hav kits in their hands as I type this. It's coming and you know full well. HAHAHAHA!! But of course, that's why you ranted so much.

The Xbox Natal rumor is just a rumor!!! However, it is a rumor I believe has a good chance to be true. The rumor however is not a new console, as in Microsoft's 8th gen console. The rumor is a new sku. That's all. It will be no different than a slim model, just more perks. I predict it'll be slightly smaller than the 360, about 10% smaller but no more. This will be largely do to the Natal Camera intergration. The internal hardware however will be substantially scaled downed. With a 32nm chip and a 45-60nm chip. As well as smaller more efficient heat sink etc. In terms of power it will be decently upgraded however. They are reportedly aiming for a price point below 300$ which is quite cheap for all the perks it has.

It's inevitable, MS will take over the gaming industry. Look at all it's gained in it's short time in the industry against heavily established, deeply entrenched companies like Sony and Nintendo. Do you think it's going to stop? BTW, you are aware that the HD consoles are getting closer and closer to the Wii's sales, right?

Its hard to believe you got into Columbia with writing skills like that. Blah. Stick to coding, man.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

Its hard to believe you got into Columbia with writing skills like that. Blah. Stick to coding, man.

LOL!

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

KungKras said:
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

Aside from being the most stupid thing I have ever read for a long time. Would you dare E-mail this to malstrom himself? You know, he answers E-mails on his news page, not on VGchartz.

Where would that news page be? Can you provide me with the URL? Would be even better if you gave me the email itself.

Arius Dion said:
bardicverse said:
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

LOL!

It's really quite absurd that any of you would bash my writing in a forum. It is obvious that I am writing in speech format, similar to a journalist. Undergrads are generally not allowed to write like a journalist and my Professors would kill me, but what the heck, it's a thread. If one is writing in speech format it is to be expected that the writing would be as fragmented as speech itself.

Instead of bashing my writing why don't you just respond to my post?

ps: Columbia has one of the best Computer Science programs in the world.

dcIKeeL said:
KungKras said:
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

Where would that news page be? Can you provide me with the URL? Would be even better if you gave me the email itself.

This is his news page: http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/

His E-mail can be found up to the left on his main page: http://malstrom.50webs.com/

I'm really looking forward to him picking apart every ridiculous statement that you made, that is, if he even bothers.

I LOVE ICELAND!

dcIKeeL said:
Arius Dion said:
bardicverse said:
dcIKeeL said:
@malstrom

LOL!

It's really quite absurd that any of you would bash my writing in a forum. It is obvious that I am writing in speech format, similar to a journalist. Undergrads are generally not allowed to write like a journalist and my Professors would kill me, but what the heck, it's a thread. If one is writing in speech format it is to be expected that the writing would be as fragmented as speech itself.

Instead of bashing my writing why don't you just respond to my post?

ps: Columbia has one of the best Computer Science programs in the world.

I don't know any proper journalist that would write with 30 exclamation points behind their words. Your post is full of ignorance on many levels and reeks of fanboyism. For example, forgive me if I cherrypick, I don't have the time to write in lengthly detail:

1 - Your scared pup/wolves comment to the poster you replied to. Wolves are an endangered species throughout the world. Using that reference is not only ironic, but counterproductive to the point you're trying to make.

2 - XB and MS dropping support. Backwards compatibility was promised to 360 fans at launch, only to find out it was a partial BC. Thus, people will want to keep their original XB to go back and play some XB games that won't work on the 360. Sure, MS had to cut the umbiblical cord to the XB, but supporting it was in no way a bad decision.

3 - You contradict yourself in paragraph 3 and 7, first stating that MS has a much bigger scope, to eliminate companies like Nintendo, then go on to say that Nintendo is heavily established. Nintendo has theoretically beein around since the 1800s. MS, roughly 25 years. You're betting on the nerdy geek in class to win the fight against the Varsity linebacker. This reeks of blind fanboyism.

4 - Natal hasn't wowed the general public, MS only has pitched through the media venues it holds stocks in. Thus far, the public view is still neutral, especially with the amount of glitches shown during presentations.

5 - Columbia is a great school all around, especially for medicine. What I am saying is, you might be a bright programmer, but your views might need to be toned down. If you're going to go into the game industry, no one is going to want a rabid fanboy on their project.