By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Nanaki said:
Uematsu isn´t only great composer in JRPG. I´m not saying, that he is bad, but there are others.

For example, Michiko Naruke, or Shoji Meguro are great too.

It´s not only Uematsu, he is just most known.

And whatever you do, don't discount Yasunori Mitsuda (Xengears, Xenosaga EP.1, Chrono Cross) he has done some amazing soundtracks as well.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Son1x said:
STAGE, wth dude, do you hate JRPG's or something?
I mean, not all JRPG's are turn-based, there are a lot (of great ones) action/strategy as well. You speak like that all there is to it.

And @Christhor
the links from wikipedia that end with ) always cut them out from the link you can press. And I count Diablo 2(and 1) as a RPG, WRPG in this example. As in matter of fact, my favorite WRPG.

If JRPG's have action style gameplay...they aren't RPG's. The only thing that makes them RPG's is the battle system since they've been relying upon since Ultima.

Well then of course you think JRPG's are stagnating, since you only count turn-based RPG's as included in the genre, while it seems any RPG made in the West counts for WRPG's to you (I mean c'mon, how can you not count Kingdom Hearts as a JRPG but WoW counts as a WRPG?).  JRPG's are more varied than you give them credit for.

WOW is an RPG, but an MMORPG. You affect the storyline (which is never ending) and you make decisions and exp, then go out into an open world, trading, fighting, speaking amongst other people. You attack kingdoms with your team of customized heroes or villains whilst being able to deal with people as you see fit. You choose to join or leave groups or work with multiple groups. Everything in that world is at your finger tips and isn't linear like JRPG's. This embodies what an RPG is. I am not saying WRPG's are better than JRPG's, because that is subjective and never was my argument. I'm stating that JRPG's aren't RPG's and the only thing giving them that title is their turn-based gameplay style. Final Fantasy Versus will not be a JRPG, yet JRPG fans are raving about that game more than the main game.   

How do you know Versus isn't a JRPG?  It was my impression it would have a more action oriented battle system like Kingdom Hearts which is most definitely a JRPG. 

And being able to affect the story might be what an RPG is to you, but it isn't what it is to me.  Always hate when WRPG fans try to get into the argument that JRPGs aren't real RPGs.  RPG is so ill defined these days, how could they not be.  RPG are always about stats, your character has some stats that slowly go up as you go through the game.  The ability to affect the story has nothing to do with being an RPG or not.

Torillian said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Torillian said:
Zezlar said:
Well if it really was a thread about Xenosaga vs Mass Effects story. I would choose Xenosaga hands down, but that's my opinion. ^^

I'm not honestly sure that's what the thread is about, appears to just be jrpg fans and wrpg fans whining at each other about which is better without anyone having the ability to see the other's side.  It's kinda stupid.

not quite. If you read the posts, it's more about a JRPG fan that asked which was better, and then went on to essentially hand JRPGs the victory under false pretenses. And WRPG fans responding.

really?  Because what I see is a WRPG fan talking about how JRPG's are the past, a forgotten relic, and the future belongs to WRPG.  How people can try and sound objective while proclaiming one genre as better than another is beyond me.  You can talk about which you prefer, but claiming one as better than the other is silly.

That's what I've been saying the whole time... They're just simply different.

... No one listened.

Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Son1x said:
I mean, not all JRPG's are turn-based, there are a lot (of great ones) action/strategy as well. You speak like that all there is to it.

And @Christhor
the links from wikipedia that end with ) always cut them out from the link you can press. And I count Diablo 2(and 1) as a RPG, WRPG in this example. As in matter of fact, my favorite WRPG.

If JRPG's have action style gameplay...they aren't RPG's. The only thing that makes them RPG's is the battle system since they've been relying upon since Ultima.

Well then of course you think JRPG's are stagnating, since you only count turn-based RPG's as included in the genre, while it seems any RPG made in the West counts for WRPG's to you (I mean c'mon, how can you not count Kingdom Hearts as a JRPG but WoW counts as a WRPG?).  JRPG's are more varied than you give them credit for.

WOW is an RPG, but an MMORPG. You affect the storyline (which is never ending) and you make decisions and exp, then go out into an open world, trading, fighting, speaking amongst other people. You attack kingdoms with your team of customized heroes or villains whilst being able to deal with people as you see fit. You choose to join or leave groups or work with multiple groups. Everything in that world is at your finger tips and isn't linear like JRPG's. This embodies what an RPG is. I am not saying WRPG's are better than JRPG's, because that is subjective and never was my argument. I'm stating that JRPG's aren't RPG's and the only thing giving them that title is their turn-based gameplay style. Final Fantasy Versus will not be a JRPG, yet JRPG fans are raving about that game more than the main game.   

How do you know Versus isn't a JRPG?  It was my impression it would have a more action oriented battle system like Kingdom Hearts which is most definitely a JRPG. 

And being able to affect the story might be what an RPG is to you, but it isn't what it is to me.  Always hate when WRPG fans try to get into the argument that JRPGs aren't real RPGs.  RPG is so ill defined these days, how could they not be.  RPG are always about stats, your character has some stats that slowly go up as you go through the game.  The ability to affect the story has nothing to do with being an RPG or not.

I always thought that the emphasis on story and characters defined an RPG, but I could be wrong. There are many different styles of RPG gameplay, but who really judges that as part of the standard? This is really a stupid argument, but I do cast the vote in favor of JRPG's over WRPG's.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Son1x said:

And @Christhor

First of all in JRPG's you're not playing a role. You are following along a linear storyline....kind of like watching a movie. Pen and Paper RPG likenesses were ported over to videogame consoles and PC in the 80's. The Japanese, like what they do mostly, culturally appropriated certain RPG elements...without the actual role playing. The traditional sense of what RPG's are was set forth by Dungeons and Dragons. If you are not becoming the role, you aren't playing the game. You're just pushing the storyline along. JRPG's without the battle system are just Action-Adventure games. The only true RPG element that I see in Kingdom Hearts is experience points and their effect on the characters. If the game didn't have EXP, the game wouldn't even be considered an RPG. It's a hack n slash. If Versus is just like Kingdom Hearts then it doesn't follow the tradition of what an RPG is. RPG's can take on any battle system...but the Role playing and freedom must stay intact.

An RPG has everything to do with playing the role of a character and affecting the world around you, while gaining experience points and going through true character growth. 

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:

Let me share with you my concept of a video game franchise and maybe you will find it insightful.

Before going further I should mention that in business, great achievements fall into two categories.  The first is horizontal and it is, as you mentioned, innovation.  It represents the addition of new things.  The second is vertical and it is improvement.  It represents the honing, upgrading, and overhauling of existing features.

To me, a video game franchise is characterized by its gameplay.  When I buy a Mario Kart game, I expect to play a racing game with Mario characters throwing crazy items like shells and bananas at each other.  When I buy a Punch Out game, I expect to play a memory/timing-focused boxing game.  When we go from Punch Out to Super Punch Out to Punch Out Wii, the gameplay more or less stays the same.  The game is improved and enhanced in each iteration but it doesn't deviate from the gameplay that defines it.

When you use phrases "firmly rooted in the past" and terms like "stagnation," it says to me that you have unrealistic expectations.  Punch Out is not going to suddenly become Mario Kart.  It should not jump too far from the gameplay that defines its franchise.  This is a good thing.  The people who enjoy the gameplay of Punch Out will always enjoy the gameplay of Punch Out.  If someone comes along with ideas that will radically change that gameplay then that is the time that a new IP should be created or at worst a spinoff to capitalize on the existing IP's fanbase however not an addition to the main franchise.

I believe that existing franchises should move only vertically.  They should improve themselves and become better over time however they should not morph into completely new games.  Horizontal movement should be done through new IPs and spinoffs so as not to compromise the integrity of the franchise.

Sadly, we end up with misfits every once in a while that do not follow this.  Super Paper Mario was a disappointment for many, not because it was a bad game but because it was missing that excellent Paper Mario gameplay that many gamers had come to expect and love.  I personally hope the next one is true to the designs of the first two.

But customer demographics change, old customers eventually get burnt out and new generations don't necessarily have the same taste in games.

Just like film franchises, reboots and changes of style are inevitable - else franchises just die. By the way, when you say "Super Paper Mario was a disappointment" you are talking about forum reactions or the consumer at large?

Very on topic, Final Fantasy mainlines have been dwindling - and besides XII, they've all been evolving vertically. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@ Mindwinter: Mass Effect is a very easy game to gain attachments or displeasure in your team mates. You affect their lives. The whole concept is if you like them, you treat them well. If you don't like them you treat them second class. They give you their story or get into arguments with you. Its your choice to talk to them in a positive, negative or indifferent manner. I grew attatched to Wrex, Ashley and Garrus, because they were the coolest. The rest can burn in hell, which is why I treated them like shit. Playing the game as a renegade made it so much easier to not feel bad while giving them constant complaints. You can even kill certain team mates or leave them to die in battle, whilst saving others whom you favor. Sometimes your choices can be more emotional than rational as well.

Bitmap Frogs said:

But customer demographics change, old customers eventually get burnt out and new generations don't necessarily have the same taste in games.

Just like film franchises, reboots and changes of style are inevitable - else franchises just die. By the way, when you say "Super Paper Mario was a disappointment" you are talking about forum reactions or the consumer at large?

Very on topic, Final Fantasy mainlines have been dwindling - and besides XII, they've all been evolving vertically. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  If consumers are no longer interested in the gameplay of a franchise then do you create new franchises or do you milk the franchise name for all its worth?  You seem to be for the latter.  I would rather a franchise fall into disuse (like Punch Out did prior to the Wii iteration) than compromise itself.

As for Super Paper Mario, I am talking about the people I know and the people on various forums I visit who were saddened by the fact that Super Paper Mario threw away the gameplay of past iterations.  I wouldn't begin to speculate too far as to exactly what percentage of the total sales of Super Paper Mario they make up however with over 2m copies of TTYD and SPM each, I'm sure there is some overlap.   Also, I'm hoping you're not about to try a "sales equals satisfaction" argument which is only slightly more silly than a "sales equals quality" argument. 

As for Final Fantasy titles, I would argue that they have been changing (not necessarily innovating) with every iteration rather than improving.  Ask someone what their favorite Final Fantasy story was and you will likely not get the latest one (12) as an answer for example.  They change some of the gameplay with each iteration but their storytelling ability and character design really have not improved at all in my opinion.  If you listen to some people who praise the old Super Nintendo Final Fantasy titles, you might think that they've suffered in those areas.  That's not the sign of a franchise improving vertically.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  If consumers are no longer interested in the gameplay of a franchise then do you create new franchises or do you milk the franchise name for all its worth?  You seem to be for the latter.  I would rather a franchise fall into disuse (like Punch Out did prior to the Wii iteration) than compromise itself.

As for Super Paper Mario, I am talking about the people I know and the people on various forums I visit who were saddened by the fact that Super Paper Mario threw away the gameplay of past iterations.  I wouldn't begin to speculate too far as to exactly what percentage of the total sales of Super Paper Mario they make up however with over 2m copies of TTYD and SPM each, I'm sure there is some overlap.   Also, I'm hoping you're not about to try a "sales equals satisfaction" argument which is only slightly more silly than a "sales equals quality" argument. 

As for Final Fantasy titles, I would argue that they have been changing (not necessarily innovating) with every iteration rather than improving.  Ask someone what their favorite Final Fantasy story was and you will likely not get the latest one (12) as an answer for example.  They change some of the gameplay with each iteration but their storytelling ability and character design really have not improved at all in my opinion.  If you listen to some people who praise the old Super Nintendo Final Fantasy titles, you might think that they've suffered in those areas.  That's not the sign of a franchise improving vertically.

If you have a well known brand and tastes change, what would you do? Using your brand name to push something more appealing to the market or risk raising a new IP from the ground? Giving up to the nostalgia of players no longer interested on your game and dropping a valuable asset is not the correct answer. 

So about Super Paper Mario, you do not know if the consumers at large were disappointed by the change in direction. Your casual evidence is meaningless. Again, it appears to wish corporations would decide according to your own tastes and needs not those of the larger pie.

They've been evolving vertically, you like it or not. The tweaks to the turn based system have been constant and other elements of the franchise have been tweaked several times but still without deviating from the original format. That's vertical progression and as it's happened the power of the franchise has dwindled as sales show. Of course I can't stablish a direct link between those two events (FF's vertical progression and its sales results). Again, you are talking about people praising the old super nintendo games, drawing from anecdotal evidence conclusions for the whole customer base. Again, anecdotal evidence is bad. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

If you have a well known brand and tastes change, what would you do? Using your brand name to push something more appealing to the market or risk raising a new IP from the ground? Giving up to the nostalgia of players no longer interested on your game and dropping a valuable asset is not the correct answer. 

So about Super Paper Mario, you do not know if the consumers at large were disappointed by the change in direction. Your casual evidence is meaningless. Again, it appears to wish corporations would decide according to your own tastes and needs not those of the larger pie.

They've been evolving vertically, you like it or not. The tweaks to the turn based system have been constant and other elements of the franchise have been tweaked several times but still without deviating from the original format. That's vertical progression and as it's happened the power of the franchise has dwindled as sales show. Of course I can't stablish a direct link between those two events (FF's vertical progression and its sales results). Again, you are talking about people praising the old super nintendo games, drawing from anecdotal evidence conclusions for the whole customer base. Again, anecdotal evidence is bad. 

Anecdotal evidence is better than none.  What evidence do you have that FF's are evolving vertically instead of just changing without getting necessarily better as WoW said?