By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Story:

Jrpg`s are more storydriven, have deeper meanings and character-development.

Art and graphics:

Jrpg`s have multiple genres. They are not afraid to combine humour with violence and sex and adult subjects

making the game more complex.

(Takashi Murakami`s concept of "Superflat") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superflat

Watching a CVG scene from i.e Final Fantasy compared to wow is huge difference. Characters looks more

alive and have personality.

Gameplay:

This is a matter of taste in my opinion. No winner here.

Music:

If it weren`t for the Final Fantasy series and Xenosaga it might be a

draw here, but Nobuo Uematsu changed the way we listen to music in video-games.

Online:

WoW, need I say more. A game that takes the prize for wrpg`s because it

capture so many players to play a game that isn`t a very good game.

It`s all about the community.

Lasting appeal:

For how long would you actually spend time on a game? It depends on how much you like it

of course. But do you want to be addicted to games which seems to have no ending?

Or do you want a final goal which you can reach within 50-70 hours?

My favourite Jrpg`s:

Final Fantasy VI, Xenosaga, Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Chrono Trigger.

My favourite wrpg`s:

Oblivion IV.

Tell me your opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Ps:

Why do people get offended in a odd sort of way when I state that Jrpg`s have more soul and is more

artistic than wrpg`s?

Around the Network

I stopped reading after JRPGs vs WoW. WoW is not a WRPG. WoW is a MMORPG, something that Western MMORPG's beat Eastern MMORPG's hands down. (IE - Everquest vs Ragnarok Online.). You seem to have your meanings confused. A WRPG is something along the lines of Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Fable, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and all that.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Also your saying that blizzards cinematics don't look as alive as other cinematics? Have you ever seen Blizzards cinematics in all their games? There always top of the line.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

NightstrikerX said:
I stopped reading after JRPGs vs WoW. WoW is not a WRPG. WoW is a MMORPG, something that Western MMORPG's beat Eastern MMORPG's hands down. (IE - Everquest vs Ragnarok Online.). You seem to have your meanings confused. A WRPG is something along the lines of Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Fable, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and all that.

So mmorpg isn`t a rpg?

Also, like the above poster said, your comparing an MMO to a JRPG. Obviously in this case the JRPG is going to have better graphics, story, and music.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

Around the Network
Nabraham said:
Also, like the above poster said, your comparing an MMO to a JRPG. Obviously in this case the JRPG is going to have better graphics, story, and music.

I`m comparing a massive multiplayer online? to a Japanese Role playing game?

Graphics is not all about graphics. It`s art, characters and environment aswell.

Uematsu isn´t only great composer in JRPG. I´m not saying, that he is bad, but there are others.

For example, Michiko Naruke, or Shoji Meguro are great too.

It´s not only Uematsu, he is just most known.

Citan said:
NightstrikerX said:

So mmorpg isn`t a rpg?

It is, but the gameplay mechanics and emphasises are completely different between the two.

Akvod said:
Citan said:
NightstrikerX said:

So mmorpg isn`t a rpg?

It is, but the gameplay mechanics and emphasises are completely different between the two.

But still a rpg. I chose to include mmorpg`s because there are big similarities.

Nanaki said:
Uematsu isn´t only great composer in JRPG. I´m not saying, that he is bad, but there are others.

For example, Michiko Naruke, or Shoji Meguro are great too.

It´s not only Uematsu, he is just most known.

I just think he is the one that changed our way to listen to music in games.