By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Akvod said:
NightstrikerX said:
Citan said:
StanGable said:

Art and graphics:

Jrpg`s have multiple genres. They are not afraid to combine humour with violence and sex and adult subjects

making the game more complex.

(Takashi Murakami`s concept of "Superflat") http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superflat

Watching a CVG scene from i.e Final Fantasy compared to wow is huge difference. Characters looks more

alive and have personality.

You've gotta be kidding me right? It was WRPGs that developed the whole "build your own story" concept. In WRPGs you can choose to be a good person, and evil a person, a balanced person. If anything WRPGs have much more variety in their storyline because you will never get the same responses. And just fyi, WRPGs also include a lot of comedy, drama, suspense, and much more.

No I`m not. Describe that variety please.

Let's take Knights of the Old Republic. I've sure we've all played that. Hopefully, if you haven't. Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Or skip it entirely.

There is a scene in the late game where your choices come full circle at you. Let's say you are evil, you became a sith. Upon learning the truth of your past as dictated in the storyline. You decide to continue down the evil road you've been taking. Your companions do not like this one bit. The idea of you becoming this evil dark overlord causes them to run away, they are scared. They will try to stop you from becoming this dark overlord. However you later encounter another character who you would fight if you were good. But because you are evil. The character joins you.

The same situation as good. Upon learning the truth of your past, you decide to change your ways and become good. Your companions are glad you decided to choose the path of good and help you along your way. You encounter a character and because the character has chosen to be evil. You have no choice but to fight and defeat the character.

That's only a small example. But in a JRPG the scene will remain the same constantly. In big storylines, the same events will occur exactly the same no matter how you look at it. It's kinda like comparing a choose your own adventure book, from a regular book.

But I do like how JRPGs have one set storyline, because that means the developers can focus all their attention on it, make it good, and you'll be guaruanteed to see that outcome.

Not an RPG, but take GTA IV. There were two possible endings. One of them was bad, and one of them was emotionally charged and better cinematicly. I'll rather not be given the choice and fuck myself over than be given the choice of a bad and good ending.

Having one set storyline isn't an RPG. In RPG's your character affects the story in as many ways as possible.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

JRPG's arent typically RPG's. Take away the battle system from JRPG's and they are as typical as a simple action-adventure game. 'Nough said.

And if you take away jumping from a platformer, they would no longer be platformers.

You cannot just simply “take away” one of the most, if not the most, important elements of a game.

My point is that most JRPG's do not exemplify what an RPG is. The only thing they have going for them is the battle system which isn't enough to save it's credibility.

Blame Ultima and Wizardry, games that served as first inspiration for early jRPG creators. BTW for p'n'p RPG purists CRPGs aren't exactly RPGs as well. Those are very different experiences.

So is everyone arguing over semantics?

.jayderyu said:
No comparison between the two game types.

JRPG is not an RPG but inherits the name from some form of inhertence of Ultima. JRPG do not have more "soul". What they have is a very well narrative story to pull the reader *cough* I mean player along. JRPG are not better or worse than a WRPG at all. They are just very different.

WRPG on the other hand owe there legacy to mostly D&D the pen and paper version. Not Ultima computer version of D&D. Typiclly WRPG are more free form letting the player handle situations with character choice rather than being pulled in a purely linear story.

Essentially when it comes down to gameplay once is about only a combat simulator driven by story the other is combat simulator with player choice how to enter or avoid.

No?

Akvod said:
So is everyone arguing over semantics?

It seems so...

Around the Network
selnor said:
Now before I write I'll tell you I still like JRPG's, but WRPG's over the last 4-5 years have killed them.

WRPG's have become so good a storytelling compared to the weak stories and storytelling of JRPG's. Mass Effect for instance is so far ahead of any JRPG in story telling it's almost painful.
I guess some people like and will always like rehashed 17 year old kid saving the world from powerful sorcerer in JRPG's. But now I'm older (26) I cant be arsed with it. Maybe thats why I'm not to thrilled for FF13, it's just another teenage kill the sorcerer fest.

The only game that deviates from normal JRPG's is Lost Odyssey, Perhaps why it's one of the best I ever played. Their is a teenage kid as a hero and the hero is believable. Also the actual storytelling is not cheesy and is actualy on a far better level than any other JRPG. It's more western in it's storytelling I suppose.

But at the moment

WRPG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JRPG. Mass Effects fault mainly.

I'm just gonna guess you never played Persona...

Also JRPG >> WRPG

@S.T.A.G.E.

So you think a certain person's death in FFVII should have been left to player choice?

mai said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

JRPG's arent typically RPG's. Take away the battle system from JRPG's and they are as typical as a simple action-adventure game. 'Nough said.

And if you take away jumping from a platformer, they would no longer be platformers.

You cannot just simply “take away” one of the most, if not the most, important elements of a game.

My point is that most JRPG's do not exemplify what an RPG is. The only thing they have going for them is the battle system which isn't enough to save it's credibility.

Blame Ultima and Wizardry, games that served as first inspiration for early jRPG creators. BTW for p'n'p RPG purists CRPGs aren't exactly RPGs as well. Those are very different experiences.

Ever played Dungeons and Dragons? Pencil and Paper RPG's where you created characters, controlled their strengths, affected the storyline by making certain choices, leveled them up and put them into battle with the characters a DM sets before you? Yeah...that is the concept of what real RPG's are.

JRPG's have been running the show since '96. Come on now

can't wait for Track Season 2009/2010, guna beast out!

Travis Touchdown ERECTION CONFIRMED!

Xigmund said:
JRPG's have been running the show since '96. Come on now

Thats the point. Our generation kept them running. I doubt the new generation will continue that trend unless they live in Japan. We grew up with Pokemon, Dot. Hack, Final Fantasy and more, but times are changing. I myself am quickly growing out of JRPG's, but for Nostalgias sake I actually buy the FF series games. If FFXIII isn't good, I'm done with JRPG's. I am definitely playing Versus, because that game will take away the JRPG battle system away...which makes it only an action adventure game. As i've always said...the only thing that keeps JRPG's an RPG is the adopted battle system; not the storyline, not the characters, but the battle system.