By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Xigmund said:
Adobo said:
this is like PS3 fanboys vs Xbox 360 fanboys fighting which system is better...

my opinion, Mass Effect pawn all your freaking RPG!

LOL that is true. But JRPG's have WRPG's beat by a mile.

Ever heard of Final Fantasy? POKEMON?

Pokemon = Pap (imo)

Final Fantasy = mix of great and meh, seriously less than half the games in the series are great and only one is truly AAA material.

Around the Network
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
mai said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

JRPG's arent typically RPG's. Take away the battle system from JRPG's and they are as typical as a simple action-adventure game. 'Nough said.

And if you take away jumping from a platformer, they would no longer be platformers.

You cannot just simply “take away” one of the most, if not the most, important elements of a game.

My point is that most JRPG's do not exemplify what an RPG is. The only thing they have going for them is the battle system which isn't enough to save it's credibility.

Blame Ultima and Wizardry, games that served as first inspiration for early jRPG creators. BTW for p'n'p RPG purists CRPGs aren't exactly RPGs as well. Those are very different experiences.

Ever played Dungeons and Dragons? Pencil and Paper RPG's where you created characters, controlled their strengths, affected the storyline by making certain choices, leveled them up and put them into battle with the characters a DM sets before you? Yeah...that is the concept of what real RPG's are.

I do not understand why we are focusing on whether or not JRPGs are 'real' RPGs. They simply were a brach off the typical RPG. That does not necessarily make them any better or any worse. Just different.

There are plenty of great hybrid games that borrow from several genres... it doesnèt take away from their so called 'credibility'. JRPG is simply a title... nothing to get hung up about.

WRPG's might be the rule, but they allow for more creativity and various styles of RPG's. Look at MMO's, first and third Person RPG's, FPS RPG's and TPS RPG's, team battle WRPG's (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Champions of Norrath). That staple concept of RPG's started a wildfire of creativity. JRPG's have not been able to touch this truth.

slowmo said:
xcot said:
slowmo said:
JRPG's are standing still with no innovation and the storylines are the same rehashed crap we've seen for the last 15 years recycled, it is no conincidence we have not had a AAA JRPG yet this generation. WRPG's for me show variety and they're all a bit different, look at the choices you're given in games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, etc.

Apologies for slating your favourite genre to the JRPG fans, surely you guys must see that something needs to change in the genre if it is to survive in the long term?

Correction, we haven't had an AAA jrpg on consoles because the japanese like many western developers are caught up with graphics.

Where the DS s really innovating in RPGs.

Its has great S-jrpgs, normal jrpgs, unique jrpgs like pokemon and twewy etc.

No, they're just becoming stale and boring following the same generic story line with very little innovation of the genre.  Mass Effect and Fall Out 3 had great graphics and both provided innovations to their chosen genre, thats from a new IP and a existing IP under control of a new dev too.  If JRPG's don't start to evolve soon then they'll die out, the problem is gamers need to get the JRPG developers to understand this and they seemingly aren't listening.

Yer a funny fella. Tell me what`s so special with the story in me and fallout.

Does it compare to Xenosaga`s mix of:

Robots, Science Fiction, 12-year old girls in swimsuits, Drama, action, comedy, sex, philosophy, love, hate, friendship and intertekstual references to Friedrich Nietzsche`s subjects, Carl Gustav Jung`s Analytical psychology, The Bibel, Jewish religion, German history and novels, Anime.

I think not, so before you judge Jrpg`s, read a book and check if there are any intertekstual references in your favourite wrpg`s. A good story is not easy to make. You have to be well read.

Citan said:
slowmo said:
xcot said:
slowmo said:
JRPG's are standing still with no innovation and the storylines are the same rehashed crap we've seen for the last 15 years recycled, it is no conincidence we have not had a AAA JRPG yet this generation. WRPG's for me show variety and they're all a bit different, look at the choices you're given in games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, etc.

Apologies for slating your favourite genre to the JRPG fans, surely you guys must see that something needs to change in the genre if it is to survive in the long term?

Correction, we haven't had an AAA jrpg on consoles because the japanese like many western developers are caught up with graphics.

No, they're just becoming stale and boring following the same generic story line with very little innovation of the genre.  Mass Effect and Fall Out 3 had great graphics and both provided innovations to their chosen genre, thats from a new IP and a existing IP under control of a new dev too.  If JRPG's don't start to evolve soon then they'll die out, the problem is gamers need to get the JRPG developers to understand this and they seemingly aren't listening.

Robots, Science Fiction, 12-year old girls in swimsuits, Drama, action, comedy, sex, philosophy, love, hate, friendship and intertekstual references to Friedrich Nietzsche`s subjects, Carl Gustav Jung`s Analytical psychology, The Bibel, Jewish religion, German history and novels, Anime.

I think not, so before you judge Jrpg`s, read a book and check if there are any intertekstual references in your favourite wrpg`s. A good story is not easy to make. You have to be well read.

If you want to figure out why Mass Effects story is worlds beyond Final Fantasy, go buy the novels.

JRPGs are soaps

WRPGs are hit tv shows and movies

Around the Network

ME is EXTREMELY BORING BEYOND COMPREHENSION imo. Gameplay was slow, talking was slow.

Twilightman on Gametrailers

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Citan said:
slowmo said:
xcot said:
slowmo said:

If you want to figure out why Mass Effects story is worlds beyond Final Fantasy, go buy the novels.

And Xenosaga?

silicon said:

JRPGs are soaps

Stop comparing JRPGs to those god awful soap operas.  They are more like anime to me than soap operas.

silicon said:

JRPGs are soaps

Is that what you call soap?

And I thought wrpg`s had freedom. When you watch a movie, you don`t have much freedom. Instead while you watch soaps you have the freedom to skip 10-15 episodes and still be able to catch up to the story.

So your statement fails in  my eyes.

Citan said:
slowmo said:
xcot said:
slowmo said:

Before you lecture somebody regarding their literacy it is common practive to not to include spelling mistakes in your retort, also your use of capital letters is also terrible.  I always laugh when a fanboys only retort to a criticism is to attack a individual rather than try to understand their viewpoint at all.  Perhaps you should both play and finish Mass Effect and Fallout 3 then you would know why both stories were so good.  Also I'm very well read thank you and know a good story when I see it.