By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Wow, first time I've seen someone call Diablo an RPG...

and stfu stage, it's not called an JRPG only because of Turn-Based combat

And looooool Bethesda WRPGs full of soul and life, does that include Oblivion (only bethesda game I've played)? xDDD
That's just horrible, the game has no people at all who you ever feel attached to. There only like 10 people in the whole world pasted 1000 times. The game has one of the worst stories I've ever seen, it's at the same level as your average FPS story. The game is only long if you want to do those horrible side quests that repeat themselves over and over. The only interisting things in the game are those guilds, but after you get the top rank it doesn't really matter at all.

Let's compare it to a JRPG let's say... Persona 3 FES, is that alright? The game has great characters, and many of them. There are small stories going on between minor character (like the boy and his stalker). It's the major characters that are the most awesome though, I mean all those characters and I felt attached to almost all of them. The game has an awesome story, and solid villains. The game is also longer than most WRPGs, and has more replay value. And even with all those it manages to have choice and a mute main character, which all of WRPG fans seem to adore. The game is turn-based, but it still manages the be faster and more interesting than Oblivion and Mass Effect's combat.

And yes I DID play Mass Effect, though only for a couple of hours.

Around the Network
StanGable said:
Citan said:
StanGable said:
Citan, does novels that you refer to that are used in Xenosaga, where do they come from? Did they make reference to another novel?? When the other poster said that a story needs to stand on its own is trying to say that good writing doesn't have to be taken from another source. A good story that has all the elements you want can come without having to reference a novel. If we needed to take use other sources to be able to create something good then society would be dead as a whole because new ideas or the evolution of our cultures would not be used on new writings.

So Mass Effect story doesn't have to be inspired by other cultural works, if the writers for Mass Effect are excellent writers then they can create the story and add all those things that you so desire in a storyline.

What genre is mass effect? Science fiction? Where do science fiction come from? A story is always inspired by something, right?

Did you read my reply on why the references makes the story good?

I swear you must be truly trolling if you can't grasp the concept of getting ideas that are NOT from other works. You're right, a story does not come from nothing, one gets inspired by seeing, reading, hearing, tasting, living. But that doesn't mean the story must be solely based on great pieces of literature to be great. If a person has a great imagination he/she will come up with a great story just by looking out the window of his/her house, not from those novels you keep talking about. If you can't admit that, then go back to your closet and keep reading them. I'll enjoy new things meanwhile and celebrate that are many great things in life besides Xenosaga

Ok, you listen carefully now. Carefully:

Xenosaga is not solely based on great pieces of literature. It uses intertekstual references from literature etc. and that`s A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Xenosaga have it`s own story.

If you don`t understand this I will try to explain it to you, but only once because I`ve tried to explain this so many times on this thread, I`m getting tired.

It seems to me that many people here don`t understand the word "Intertekstual references".

Christhor said:

And looooool Bethesda WRPGs full of soul and life, does that include Oblivion (only bethesda game I've played)? xDDD
That's just horrible, the game has no people at all who you ever feel attached to. There only like 10 people in the whole world pasted 1000 times. The game has one of the worst stories I've ever seen, it's at the same level as your average FPS story. The game is only long if you want to do those horrible side quests that repeat themselves over and over. The only interisting things in the game are those guilds, but after you get the top rank it doesn't really matter at all.

Let's compare it to a JRPG let's say... Persona 3 FES, is that alright? The game has great characters, and many of them. There are small stories going on between minor character (like the boy and his stalker). It's the major characters that are the most awesome though, I mean all those characters and I felt attached to almost all of them. The game has an awesome story, and solid villains. The game is also longer than most WRPGs, and has more replay value. And even with all those it manages to have choice and a mute main character, which all of WRPG fans seem to adore. The game is turn-based, but it still manages the be faster and more interesting than Oblivion and Mass Effect's combat.

So you're rating a game on two hours play before the story was even apparent, remind me never to trust your judgement of a game.  Also if you cannot argue a point without resorting to telling someone to stfu then it just about proves your intellectual prowess in a discussion.

For the record Diablo as always been classed a RPG, shows your knowledge of the genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)

Christhor said:

No need to tell another user "stfu" just because you don't agree on a topic, just nicely debate them please :) thank you

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Story:
JRPG: Annoying story that you can't meaningfully modify. No matter how hard you try, Aeris always dies and the end fight always goes down the same way.
WRPG: Annoying story you can modify, kind of. Best was in the original Fallout, where you could convince the main villain to commit suicide, beat him in combat, or set the nuclear reactor to override and escape.

Characters:
JRPG: You're never anybody in the story. Even when there's a 'main character' like cloud who you're supposed to be associated with, there's no real 'you' in the action. Despite the fact that the characters are all designed by character designers, they end up being annoying, replaceable transvestites. (Imagine you replaced Cloud, a magically-endowed supersoldier with a unique weapon, severe amnesia, ridiculous hair, and a weather-related name with Squall, a magically-endowed supersoldier with a unique weapon, severe amnesia, slightly less ridiculous hair, and a weather-related name. Or even with Tidus, a completely normal guy who is able to fight off the gods themselves with a unique weapon, severe amnesia (Not remembering you don't exist counts), ridiculous pants, and a ocean-related name. Would the game be any different at all?)

WRPG: You're pretty much always just one jerk. Because you can infinitely modify your dude, everything's super generic. You're just a guy, or a girl, wearing generic cloths with generic skills and generic everything. All the NPCs refer to you by a title because they don't want to use your real name.

Basically, my point is, computer RPGs suck. Tabletop or death.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network
slowmo said:
Christhor said:

So you're rating a game on two hours play before the story was even apparent, remind me never to trust your judgement of a game.  Also if you cannot argue a point without resorting to telling someone to stfu then it just about proves your intellectual prowess in a discussion.

For the record Diablo as always been classed a RPG, shows your knowledge of the genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)

I didn't say anything about the story of Mass Effect, I said the gameplay was slow. I can usually judge gameplay after 5 hours.

Nice Wikipedia article "Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name." Nice way of showing your knowledge. Besides I just checked it's an Action RPG and if we go by stage's standards that would mean it's not an RPG. =)

Most people call it hack 'n slash anyway, and I didn't get any sort of rpg feeling from the game. I wouldn't say you get to choose very much in the game, so where's the "role"-playing?

STAGE, wth dude, do you hate JRPG's or something?
I mean, not all JRPG's are turn-based, there are a lot (of great ones) action/strategy as well. You speak like that all there is to it.

And @Christhor
the links from wikipedia that end with ) always cut them out from the link you can press. And I count Diablo 2(and 1) as a RPG, WRPG in this example. As in matter of fact, my favorite WRPG.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Christhor said:

You know, being drowned by hours upon hours of crappy c-grade quality animu isn't a requirement for a rpg. 

In fact, Diablo's RPG mechanics are beyond any jrpg out there. Which is no surprise since Diablo is nothing but a roguelike/statbuilder in disguise. Mention one jrpg with the breadth of character and equipment customization available in Diablo 2. Heck, you can even custom-build a barbarian to end the game just killing the required bosses to trigger the next chapter. Or a very succesful melee sorceress.

Also, that list of great wrpg's is missing Ultima series, Might & Magic series, Wizardry series and some classics like Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, etc.

@Citan: sigh, you are stubbornly blaming ignorance instead of blaming your own weak arguments. Intertextuality (note, correct spelling) isn't necessarily good in itself. Neither original, neither an intellectual achievement. But we could be arguing this forever because the forums, the forums never change. See? now that's some useless intertextuality there. Woooh my post is an intellectual achievement!.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

personally:
console jrpgs vs console wrpgs this gen - pretty much equal.
handheld jrpgs vs handheld wrpgs this gen - jrpgs all the way.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Christhor said:

You know, being drowned by hours upon hours of crappy c-grade quality animu isn't a requirement for a rpg.

In fact, Diablo's RPG mechanics are beyond any jrpg out there. Which is no surprise since Diablo is nothing but a roguelike/statbuilder in disguise. Mention one jrpg with the breadth of character and equipment customization available in Diablo 2.

Also, that list of great wrpg's is missing Ultima series, Might & Magic series, Wizardry series and some classics like Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, etc.

@Citan: sigh, you are stubbornly blaming ignorance instead of blaming your own weak arguments. Intertextuality (note, correct spelling) isn't necessarily good in itself. Neither original, neither an intellectual achievement. But we could be arguing this forever because the forums, the forums never change. See? now that's some useless intertextuality there. Woooh my post is an intellectual achievement!.

Sadly, I never played those games. I wanted to throw NOX up there on my list, but while it was fun for myself. I didn't view it as "Awesome" at least as awesome as some of the other WRPG's I've played.

Oh, and for your last paragraph.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?