By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Free Realms BLOWS PAST 3 Million!

SOE's Free Realms Hits 3 Million Mark

June 12, 2009

Following its April 28 launch, Sony Online Entertainment's free-to-play casual MMORPG Free Realms has amassed 3 million unique users, SOE announced Friday.

SOE CEO John Smedley said the family-friendly game, which has enjoyed a youth-focused TV campaign, has attracted on average 500,000 new gamers per week. Smedley also said SOE worked on the game for four years prior to release.

The first 3 million registrants will have access to the "3M Pet Party Pack," which contains "virtual goodies" for players' virtual pets.

A rep for SOE told Gamasutra that the 3 million figure is "the number of registered accounts for Free Realms." The game is free to download and play, but has optional microtransaction and subscription elements.

Free Realms also ties into a trading card game playable both with physical cards and inside the game via digital codes.

One month after release, SOE said the game had hit 2 million users.

http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire?story=24025

Guess its a nice success for them, congrats!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Darth how much time each day do you spend on Vgchartz? I swear every other topic is started by you.

Had to change my sig to get some moderator to quit bitching about it......

the number is very deceptive. like sonys other numbers... as it includes everyone who made an account whether or not they continued to use it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

@nabraham

depends on the day

today, must be about 1 or 2 hours

i helped i have 4 unique accounts

Around the Network

How does this make them money? 

I wish they'd set up some tough goals within the game and offer PS3 coupons/discounts to those who complete them.  That would generate more publicity for the game and dovetail nicely with the imminent launch of Free Realms on the PSN.

I have one account that I just started using, its a really good game (only if my computer could handle it.. it runs at 10fps or less at times)

mM

I will get this when it comes to the king of all consoles

Are these people counted on PSN too?

Tease.

I wonder what Sony's marketing budget is for Free Realms...Probably something viscious.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.