By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have my doubts about The Conduit's first sales

theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
theRepublic said:
disolitude said:
"The first Halo, let's face it, is very generic and a little mediocre."

No point of reading the rest after reading that foul statement.

Halo 1 for the time when it was released in 2001 is on par with Super mario bros and Street fighter 2 or other iconic game releases when it comes to FPS innovation and importance. Especially if you only look at consoles. There is a lot more in Halo 1 than Local multiplayer that left a mark on the gaming world.

What do you mean by innovation?

Some people will claim another obscure game came up with all these things 6 months before Halo 1, but anyone that knows how long Halo had been in develpment at Bungie knows otherwise.

- Squad based single player campaign experience with coop!

- Open level environments (instead of corridors and hallways)

- Regenerating health

- Vehicle combat where one can drive, be the passinger or be on the turret

- Only 2 weapons at a time allowed

- Complex FPS experience with console specific controls that work

How many games after Halo took these influences and applied it to their games? Almost as many that ripped off the ha-do-ken!

Good point about the co-op.  I can't think of another shooter with a campaign co-op that came before Halo, even though the concept existed in other genres.

Actually, Perfect Dark had co-op campaign play and even counter co-op (I don't think any other game has counter co-op, but it's brilliant!) And come to think of it, even the N64 version of Hexen had campaign co-op.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

Actually, Perfect Dark had co-op campaign play and even counter co-op (I don't think any other game has counter co-op, but it's brilliant!) And come to think of it, even the N64 version of Hexen had campaign co-op.

Damn, good memory!  I'll edit my respone.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

intro94 said:
WereKitten said:

Actually the thing that worries me a little about that engine is that it's very general-purpose. After all, they plan on developing a gladiator game leveraging it.
I'm sure that at Bungie they had to heavily specialize Halo's engine for the needs of split-screen multiplayer FPS action, but at HV they are so much smaller that they probably can't afford it.
They have a much greater return over every man-hour spent on the engine if it's really modular and reusable, even at the cost of some performance.

edit: good news about "The Grinder" having split screen. I guess that will come with an updated version of their engine.

MOH 2:No local, but online.However, terrible psp graphics and physics. horrid sales.

I agree with most of your post but I feel the need to correct this point. MOH:H2 did not have horrid sales. With others date, it sold near 600k (conservative estimate based on online accounts). 600k is pretty good for a game of that type and has generated a healthy profit for EA for sure.

disolitude said:

- Open level environments (instead of corridors and hallways)

How many games after Halo took these influences and applied it to their games? Almost as many that ripped off the ha-do-ken!

Was this mesnt to be s good thing?  Walking around in these huge areas that looked completely the same made this game the most tedious, most boring thing I ever experienced.  Oh how I wished for the opportunity to move from one room to another that looked different from whence I came.  Plus fighting the same boring annoying aliens and using the same boring gun.  Oh my goodness I don't even want to think of how boring this game was.  That it was so successful makes me wonder whether Microsoft brain washed people.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

@disolitude - Tribes had vehicles that had passengers that could shoot.  Tribes also had huge outdoor environments.

And I would have to disagree profusely with the person who said that huge outdoor environments are crap.

Around the Network

" I can't think of another shooter with a campaign co-op that came before Halo, even though the concept existed in other genres."

Perfect Dark in 2000 and even before that, Duke Nukem 64, 1997 i believe..

On topic, why focus only on the shortcomings of TC? It has IMO way more positive things than negative ones.

- Great Wii graphics
- Great(probably the best) controls with complete customizing options
- Strong and online component, again probably the best
- It's an exlusive, so no watering down here
++

The sales i'm not sure about, it should do better than cod5 first week because TC is an exlusive. Cod5 was about 60 - 70k first week? This should do more, or at least i hope it will, 100 - 125k i would guess..

Guovssohas said:
" I can't think of another shooter with a campaign co-op that came before Halo, even though the concept existed in other genres."

Perfect Dark in 2000 and even before that, Duke Nukem 64, 1997 i believe..

On topic, why focus only on the shortcomings of TC? It has IMO way more positive things than negative ones.

- Great Wii graphics
- Great(probably the best) controls with complete customizing options
- Strong and online component, again probably the best
- It's an exlusive, so no watering down here
++

The sales i'm not sure about, it should do better than cod5 first week because TC is an exlusive. Cod5 was about 60 - 70k first week? This should do more, or at least i hope it will, 100 - 125k i would guess..

Thanks, I already edited my post to include Perfect Dark in that section (can't believe I forgot the co-op in that one).

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

You're 100% correct, Local Multiplayer is a must have for an FPS, it will definetly hurt sales,

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I forgot to say my predicted 1st week sales.

125k-175k. That range. I say 135k.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Ok guys, calm down...

I am sorry for using the word "mediocre". I didn't mean to say that it was bad because it wasn't abad game at all. I didn't knew what other word use to means that is not innovating. I never stated that it was bad. I don't hate that franchise, I am not that big fan of it. That's it.

Anyways..

Many are saying that local multiplayer is dying? That's absurd. As long as videogames keep beeing social stuff, multiplayer will be always a big part. Of course, not all games deman multiplayer (like a regular zelda or a regular Resident evil) but others like FPS, they are just suited to that kind of gameplay.

I think is cool it has online but online will never, ever substitute being in a room with your friends having fun. Of course, some will like it without it and can live without it. Cool. But we must think in a more broader way.

I think that Conduit will sell well but I still THINK that it would sell better with a local multiplayer. Of course I may be wrong but let's not forget that videogames have many simmilarities with board games.

Let's take for example Mario Kart wii. If that game would had only LM it would have been criticized by the Nintendo core gamers but it would have sold anyway. People love to play it with friends. If that game would sell only with Online multiplayer it would have sell to the Nintendo core but won't had the huge sells it has nowadays. I know by experience.

Also, look at Killzone 2. Some were upset that it hadn't LM.

Whatever..let's wait until it is released and we'll see how it performs. I won't buy it until I see if is worthy.