By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Punch Out a UK flop

is it me or were the ads very unsuited for the uk audience? i mean the tv ads i saw, u have to have played the original punchout to get it, obviously it wasnt a big success there. Maybe they needed one of those Wii ads

Around the Network
nordlead said:
tuoyo said:
nordlead said:
disolitude said:

Yeah, I'll be honest...I only beat the minor, major and world circuit fighters. Didnt really bother much with challenges and have yet to do title defense circuit... I guess I could squeeze more out of the game...

How do you unlock Donkey Kong again?

Beat Title Defense mode, and then just play Mac's Last Stand. If you lose 3 times in Mac's Last Stand you'll have to start from scratch, but DK should show up after you win a few rounds and once you play him he is unlocked in practice mode.

EDIT: oh, and Title Defense is half the game, as it is essentially all new characters. Glass Joe actually beat me on TD mode the first time, mostly because I thought he would be easy but his various delayed punches took me out. TD Glass Joe is a peice of cake, but obviously going in thinking he would be easy was a mistake

He beat you only once?  He beat me about ten times.

Star punch, jabx5,hook, repeat. He can't even throw a punch if you time it right

Don't even think I got a single star punch against him but then again I'm not very good at getting star punches.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
nordlead said:
tuoyo said:
nordlead said:

Beat Title Defense mode, and then just play Mac's Last Stand. If you lose 3 times in Mac's Last Stand you'll have to start from scratch, but DK should show up after you win a few rounds and once you play him he is unlocked in practice mode.

EDIT: oh, and Title Defense is half the game, as it is essentially all new characters. Glass Joe actually beat me on TD mode the first time, mostly because I thought he would be easy but his various delayed punches took me out. TD Glass Joe is a peice of cake, but obviously going in thinking he would be easy was a mistake

He beat you only once?  He beat me about ten times.

Star punch, jabx5,hook, repeat. He can't even throw a punch if you time it right

Don't even think I got a single star punch against him but then again I'm not very good at getting star punches.

yay for totally derailing a thread

anyways, you can star punch him right off the bat when he taunts you. You just hook him on the side he raises his arm. I have a bunch of FAQs in the game database if you are interested. I only have up to what I've beat so far.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

How sad, even Joe Calzaghe couldn't help sales.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

not just in UK, it flopped generally in Europe, 13k is too low....

maybe legs drive it somehow, at least it had a great launch and 2nd week in US

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

The sales are surprising but as long as its profitable (which I think it will be) I don't think it should be labeled a flop. I'm hoping for some good legs as I still think it can do 1 million. I think maybe it needs alot of word of mouth advertising tbh.

Yea they don't mind buying the casual stuff like UFC and EA Sports Active but turn a cold shoulder to some good nostalgia like Punch Out. Oh how disappointed I am in the core gamers in UK haha. Well at least they picked up Pokemon Platinum haha.

BengaBenga said:
Ehm, guys...

Boxing is NOT a big sport here. In the US it's big, so a boxing game is a much easier sell. Madden also doesn't sell in Europe. Fifa doesn't sell in the US.

Still I think it will sell decently, but expecting massive sales for a boxing game in Europe is not realistic.

Then why is UFC selling so well?

That really isn't very big anywhere.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

WOnder if maybe having a British boxer in the game would have helped. I mean, it is a huge market for video games after all and they don't get made fun of like other big markets. Or maybe there is just no nostalgia there for this game.

If people continue to neglect buying games that appeal to the "gamers" for the Wii we can forget about Nintendo supporting us. They should just stick to the Wii series of games/Cooking Mama/ Shovelware since they seem to fare better in the market.

Buy the good games if you want more to come to the system!