By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Punch Out a UK flop

In 3 weeks of charts, Punch Out hasn't made the UK All Formats top 40 once.  Its rankings in the full price Wii lists have been 7th, 7th and 12th.  All this despite the fact that, alongside positive reviews, it has been reasonably well advertised on TV using a popular British boxer.  Even accounting for the fact that the NES and SNES weren't all that popular in the UK, I still find this game's commercial failure here a bit bewildering.

Around the Network

Its too early to tell. you know the crazy legs nintendo software has...

Yeah, I'm very surprised actually. I didn't think it'd be a blockbuster in Europe exactly, but I definitely thought it'd be bigger than this.

Atleast it's doing good in the US.

Games don't flop on the Wii...I thought you knew that. "Legs" and "low budget" and what not

Maybe it flopped in the UK because they removed the stereotypical British snob.

Around the Network

It's definetely not selling like it is in the America's.

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

it really makes no sense to me, particlaly when comapred to US performance

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

BMaker11 said:
Games don't flop on the Wii...I thought you knew that. "Legs" and "low budget" and what not

Its true though. Look at Wii music...everyone called it a flop back when it launched and look at it now.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=24657&region=All

Compare it to something like Killzon 2 or Resident Evil 5...and legs are surely on the Wii side.

Well I know there were some people saying this would move several million copies (and there actually were, I'm not just making predictions up), America better pick up the slack.

I think citing "legs" for this title in the UK is a bit optimistic - it started badly and is already dipping. Even if it maintained current sales levels in the UK for the next year, I think its overall sales for the region would have to be considered modest for a Nintendo franchise.

I was one of the people who thought this might sell a good few million (worldwide, obviously), and still think it might if genuine legs are shown in America (no idea if this was ever a popular franchise in Japan). It really doesn't look like Europe's going to be contributing much to this game's overall sales, however.