By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to catch 360 by March 2008?

After 10 months Sony has sold (roughly) 4.5 Million consoles ...
Over the next 6 months Sony intends to sell (more than) 9 Million consoles ...
Some how I don't think their math adds up ...

Around the Network

Im not an xbox fan, and i logged in just to say this:

ROFLMAO

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Not going to happen unless they know something we don't like a dramatic price drop or surprise games hitting before march like ff13 or GT5 etc. Time will tell.

superchunk said:

@http://www.ps3center.net/story-979-Sony-Promises-PS3-To-Catch-Xbox-360-In-Sales-by-March.html

"Sony’s chief Kaz Hirai has stated that the way in which the PS3 is going, it will be able to catch and hit the current sales mark of the Xbox 360 by next March.

Lets not ignore this guys.

He doesn't say it will catch or overtake the 360 - he says it will reach the "current" 360 sales figure (11m) by March '08.

This is where I get confused. I thought they forecast 11m sold in their FISCAL year. They had already sold 3m (4-5m to retail?) BEFORE the current fiscal year started.

So are they aiming to sell 11m in this fiscal year (April '07 - March '08) - or 11m lifetime by March '08?

Either way, I see them having their work cutout if they want to sell 11m (WW, lifetime) by March '08. If its shipped to retail (rather than sold to consumers) - they have a chance.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Ok, the only way I can even imagine this happening is this.

1. 360 premium stay >= $300
2. A PS3 sku @ $300 (40GB) and @450 (80GB)
3. MGS4 and Killzone 2 released. (FF13 given a solid midyear 2008 date)
4. 1 and 2 and one of the games in 3 all happen by xmas.

Other than this. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Around the Network

Unless Sony have some magical plan for this fall they are going to get destroyed, especially at the current price point.

Most expensive console + worst selection of exclusives = poor sales. Do the math Sony and lower the damn price to a reasonable level.

superchunk said:
Ok, the only way I can even imagine this happening is this.

1. 360 premium stay >= $300
2. A PS3 sku @ $300 (40GB) and @450 (80GB)
3. MGS4 and Killzone 2 released. (FF13 given a solid midyear 2008 date)
4. 1 and 2 and one of the games in 3 all happen by xmas.

Other than this. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Not that hard. One game could seriously drive sales this year, we will see how Uncharted and UT3 do.   Also look at the releases in early 08, very stacked.

kaz is saying it because he knows when and how much the price cut will be.  A low cots entry PS3 at $350 my guess, 80gig $400(2008) and a big ass 180 gig +game bundle for $500

No Im saying they are saying they will sell 11 milion, never said they are going to make it.

mM

We will see......I'm waiting, cause thats what you guys said about Lair and Heavenly Sword. Let's see what Uncharted does since its a new IP.

Assuming they enter November w/ 6million, a BRILLIANT holiday for them would get them to 9 million. Then they'd have to sell at a near-Wii pace in the deadest sales period of the year to get to 11m by March.