By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rockstar Develops Agent Exclusively Out of Confidence in PlayStation

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Would confidence translate as 'Sony gave us a big bag of money'?

I find it hard to believe there would another reason then that. Why would they launch a brand new franchise on the smallest installbase while Take Two even booked a loss despite the huge sales of gta4 and others? Although the guy could just be not very bright.

Anyway i hope they change the logo, because it looks real cheap.

There was a rumor awhile back[not really a rumor, it came from a Sony exec] that in exchange for the loss of timed exclusivity on GTA4[like all the past GTAs were], they would develop a new IP exclusive to the PS3. This is it.

Around the Network

Tretton said they expect this to sell like the GTA games. They don't hope, they expect. Sony haven't learned yet, and that will land them a nice 3rd this generartion.

Also, with that kind of argumentation for making it exclusive, it would make more sense putting it on 360, considering the userbase.

I don't see the thread title mirrored in the quotes from Take Two. I see the word "partnership" there though, which could mean something else...

They say they're confident in the platform. But they don't say it's the only factor behind the decision as far as I can see.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

You know people, sometimes there ARE better incentives then deniro to do something. MGS4 was exclusive to PS3 for the Idea of utilizing the PS3's power alone. Kojima KEPT it exclusive for this reason and for good will alone.

Now I know we have seen quite a few times now exclusivity become engulfed by the mighty dollar and in turn go MP. Yet MGS4 has proven a possibility for the alternative for 3rd parties.

And exclusive games get more media buzz anyway.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

The big news here is that the game is being developed by Rockstar North, being worked on directly by the Houser brothers.

Rockstar Games Announces Agent Exclusively for PLAYSTATION®3 System

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Agent. Developed by the people behind Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar North, Agent will be available exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

"We have always enjoyed making action games, and with Agent we are making what we believe will be the ultimate action game," said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. "Agent is a game we have wanted to make for a long time. The team in Edinburgh is doing an amazing job combining intense action, atmosphere and story in a great period setting to create something that feels quite unique. We cannot wait for people to experience this game."

Agent takes players on a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations during the height of the Cold War at the end of the 1970s.

For more information, log onto www.rockstargames.com.

From BusinessWeek.

Around the Network

I don't think anyone is saying there aren't merits to exclusives. I still think it's quite possible (even likely) that Sony gave Take Two some money for this.

Rockstar North is the kind of developer which can sell a lot of games. They don't need the hype from exclusivity, so they'd probably sell more if the game was multiplatform. One thing's for sure, they aren't doing this to lose money, which leads me to believe Sony is compensating them for making an exclusive.

It's all speculation though...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

ymeaga1n said:
@gilgamesh,

I don't think it stand out more - you're not releasing to 2/3 of the market - rather it is less expensive to make. Development costs drop, marketing costs drop, and if sony paid for exclusivity, you get a nice chuck of money.

I think someone already answered this but oh well, the game will stand out more because its exclusive, thats all Microsoft and Sony go on about is I got this game and you don't, so the PS3 owners will obviously appeal to it more since it's exclusive, because exlcusive third party games are so rare to come across.

If it's multi plat then it wouldn't be as big of a deal because neither Microsoft or Sony can brag about having that game and it probably wouldn't be hyped as much. The main games Sony tends to talk about is there exclusives, there trying to show everyone that the PS3 has the most and best exclusives, so they'll likely market this game more then if it was multi plat.

The main point the article is trying to make is most of the PS3 owners will adapted to this game a lot more then if it was multiplat. And Feder believes that the PS3 is going to eventually start selling like hot cakes and it'll be the must have gaming console (price cut, slim). So this game will likely sell a decent amount.

in my opinion Agent is a test for take-two, if it sells well and becomes a hit, i think we will see grand theft auto 5 a ps3 exclusive. if not, back to multi-platform. take-two said it themselves "i have a lot of confidence in sony" whether or not that is just a formality is how you look at it.

*side note*

just a thought, sony has worked with 3rd party support so they can make an exclusive or multi-plat game the best it can be. whats the odds we see sony offering some of its ideas from eight days (the supposedly cancelled project) to R*?

I can believe this.

Didn't Epic say that exclusivity on the 360 really helped Gears????
And fuck the "higher userbase=sales" talk, 360 userbase when Gears1 launched was way lower than PS3's current userbase.

4 ≈ One