By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - F*&*%!!!! I think my wii is breaking!!!

Wahhh artifacts. Actually, the standby mode being the cause makes sense, but the strange part is that if you put your hand on the left of your Wii (being in upside position), right below the GC controller ports... that's the place that gets hot.

But that's NOT where the CPU, GPU or memory are located. They are closer to the connection ports (below the memory card slots). Fortunately I haven't had this issue, but what I do is this: I keep the covers of the GC controllers and memory cards open, that way the heat has slightly better dissipiation.

Around the Network

ok, so I finished RE4 bonus material last night and decided, I wanted to check out MP3. MP3 didn't have any video issues at all. [side note: MP3 is awesome] I still am positive its the Wii and not the RE4 disc since I can see the artifacts on the Wii menu. But, strange none the less.

Lynsanity said:
Ishy said:
you can't put saves from 1 wii sd to another, send ur sd off with your wii and maybe they'll transfer it for you I suppose, or at least make ur SD card usable with the new wii because they are locked to work with the 1st wii they are slotted into...
THAT IS NOT TRUE!!! My girlfriend and I share saves all the times. I have had my wii replaced and used my saves from the previous Wii. I have also taken those same saves and tranferred them to my girlfriends wii. What's more, you can go to WIISAVE.com and download completed games as well. Just back up all of your saved games on a SD card. You will be fine.

Yeah, you can absolutely backup saves onto the SD card and move them to another Wii.  There was one game I had that specifically didn't allow the saves to be backed up, but I forget which one.  I think Ishy must be thinking of the VC game channels.  Those can be backed up, but you cannot load them onto any other Wii than the one they were originally on.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Entroper said:
Louie said:
Yeah, this is clearly the CPU.

It is rumored it happens because of Wii connect 24. If you let the console working in 24 mode and don´t play for a long while it can overheat.

So, if you don´t need to be connected better turn it of in the night...

People keep saying this, but I want to be absolutely clear: There is ZERO EVIDENCE that WiiConnect24 "causes" this problem, and there is no good argument for it either. The sparkly colored dots are caused by graphics memory errors. Some Wiis have defective graphics memory, most don't. It's that simple.

There is also no evidence that these problems are NOT caused by WiiConnect24.

WiiConnect24 is designed to run without use of the fans, so people don't think the Wii is still on. And, theoretically, if you enclose your Wii into your entertainment center with no ventilation, it can lead to issues.

Entroper said:
Louie said:
Yeah, this is clearly the CPU.

It is rumored it happens because of Wii connect 24. If you let the console working in 24 mode and don´t play for a long while it can overheat.

So, if you don´t need to be connected better turn it of in the night...

People keep saying this, but I want to be absolutely clear: There is ZERO EVIDENCE that WiiConnect24 "causes" this problem, and there is no good argument for it either. The sparkly colored dots are caused by graphics memory errors. Some Wiis have defective graphics memory, most don't. It's that simple.

erm, there is evidence. Leave your Wii on standby connection. The fan turns off. After a while, touch the console. It's toasty warm. Toasty warm console + no air flow = overheating.

It's not solid proof, but it's evidence ;) and it's the most likely cause. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

Actually, since some have reported this problem without having used WiiConnect24, there is evidence that the problem is not caused by WiiConnect24.

omgwtfbbq said:

erm, there is evidence. Leave your Wii on standby connection. The fan turns off. After a while, touch the console. It's toasty warm. Toasty warm console + no air flow = overheating.

The most likely cause is memory chips that don't meet the required spec.

I have touched the case when it's been in WiiConnect24 for over a week, it's warm.  Warm + no air flow = warm.  It's as warm as it's going to get after a week.  If it was hot enough to cause damage, you wouldn't want to touch it.

Look, I know this sounds like a good argument.  The fan is off, but the system is still running, therefore it must be overheating, but the Wii isn't like a PC.  It was designed on purpose with lower specifications, and it uses only a fraction of those in standby mode.  A typical CPU draws 100W of power all by itself, the entire Wii only draws 10W in standby.

If it really makes you feel better, go ahead and disable the WiiConnect24 feature.

Entroper said:
omgwtfbbq said:

The most likely cause is memory chips that don't meet the required spec.

I have touched the case when it's been in WiiConnect24 for over a week, it's warm. Warm + no air flow = warm. It's as warm as it's going to get after a week. If it was hot enough to cause damage, you wouldn't want to touch it.

Look, I know this sounds like a good argument. The fan is off, but the system is still running, therefore it must be overheating, but the Wii isn't like a PC. It was designed on purpose with lower specifications, and it uses only a fraction of those in standby mode. A typical CPU draws 100W of power all by itself, the entire Wii only draws 10W in standby.

If it really makes you feel better, go ahead and disable the WiiConnect24 feature.

Do you have your console standing up or lying down? I had it lying down, and when I touched it, it wasn't warm, it was hot. Now I have it standing up and it's only slightly warm.

With no fan, the heating up of the Wii will depend on many different factors. 10W is enough to create a decent amount of heat. The ventilation in the Wii is not fantastic, especially with the fan not on, so the whole thing heats up. It's actually radiating heat from the case of the Wii itself, rather than out the vent at the back. Then things such as where you place the Wii, is it in a small space? Is it on its side? is it lying down? These things all become important because it's not losing heat in the usual way (heatsink draws heat into air, which is then pushed out by the fan). The heatsink is drawing heat into already hot air which then radiates that heat away through the case of the Wii.

Eventually it gets to the point where the heatsink does very little as the temperature of the air inside the Wii approaches the temperature of the chip itself. If the case is hot to touch, you can bet the insides are cooking.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

superchunk said:

It hurts when i pee...lol jk.

So, last night I was finishing up Ada's missions on RE4 and noticed all of these odd colors on the screen. basically on most dark scenes I could see red, blue, and green pixels. I stopped and was all like 'F$#$ YOU!!!' Now, I think I need to call Nintendo to get it replaced.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Seriously, I have had every Nintendo console, maxed out on controls, including zapper, NES advantage, the 4 player addon for SNES, and have never purchased a 3rd party addon. Always the Nintendo one. This the first time anything has broken. Oh well, I gues once in the 22 years I have been playing Nintendo products isn't that bad.

strange, i'm getting the same thing. It started when I was about to fight Krauser, and since I didn't get it on the menu or even the typewriter savepoints in RE4 i thought it was the game not the wii x_X. I hope mine isn't breaking aswell

^ I get it also on the main menu near the 'am' or 'pm' in the clock and about a little further to the left of the clock. Basically series of dots in vertical lines. It's only more apparent in dark games like RE4.

On a side note I finally called Nintendo today, they are shipping me a label to mail it to them. They said the only way to keep all of your data is to send it to them and it will take about 2 weeks total time.