By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think this E3 has killed Sony is Dead Threads?

Question is does the gains of ps2/p outweigh the losses of the ps3?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

IM suprised i don't see any sony is dead threads as there E3 sucked

there not dead, there just not doing too well. wii PS3 and PSP are all down year on year (DS might be too not sure) but whilst wii looks like itll regain some momentum its not clear about the other 2. PS3 could have a price drop coming but there saving it for the holidays. seems sensible. PSP GO im not sure how it will effect sales since it costs the same as a wii. hopfully both sony hardware will see dramatically improved sales in the latter half of the year

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

maybe you should make one rckrz6, you know, to redress the balance ¬_¬

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

I didn't say 5 million for FFXIII.  I say 2 million for FFXIII,  2 million for GT5, and 2 million for FF Versus XIII.  And probably an additional 2 million for FFXIV.  Bringing in 4 million new PS3 owners in Japan following the release of FF XIV.  I think those are very reasonable expectations especially when you have other games I'm not counting that will also appeal to Japanese gamers like whatever Sega's follow up to the latest Yakuza is, Tales of Vesperia PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Rising PS3, Lost Planet 2, The Last Guardian, and other games from Japanese studios that will follow these especially since many Japanese studios won't feel inclined to make HD games on 360 when the PS3 has an advantage of 8 million PS3s sold in Japan to 2 million on 360.

With all of the above, it isn't unreasonable to think the PS3 will pass 10 million consoles sold in Japan this gen.

Umm... 2 million for FF XIV in Japan? The last MMO in the series, FF XI, sold 150,000 copies in Japan, on a much larger PS2 install base.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=761®ion=All

From Wikipedia,

"In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history.[3] Previously Square Enix had announced that more than 500,000 users, using more than one million characters, were playing the game as of January 2004. As of 2006, between 200,000 and 300,000 active players logged in per day, and the game remains the dominant MMORPG in Japan.[4] As of 2008, in an announcement for three additional expansions in development, SE noted Final Fantasy XI still has a strong user base of around 500,000 subscribers. [5] As of April 22nd, 2009 there are 2,000,000 active characters. Four expansions for the game have been released, capitalizing on the game's success."

I have as hard a time believing that a game that has 2,000,000 active characters sold only 150,000 copies as I do that the Burning Crusade sold 0.0 copies.

If there were 500k sold worldwide, then 150k sold in Japan would seem about right, no?

Even if we assume 1 million sold worldwide, it's a long way from there to 2 million sold in Japan only, which was your prediction for FF XIV.

This site says .15 copies of FFXI have been sold total, it then says 0.00 copies sold on PC, and .18 sold on 360.  I don't buy those numbers especially with the the Wikipedia article saying FFXI is the dominant mmorpg in Japan.  That means it has sold more in Japan than World of Warcraft.  Judging from the fact that all other Playstation Final Fantasies have sold 2 million + copies in Japan, then I feel that FFXI across its different versions must have too.

For the PS2 version of FF XI, VGChartz only has estimated sales for Japan--150k.

The largest number of users cited in the Wikipedia entry was 500k--worldwide and across all platforms.

Since you predict that the PS3 version of FF XIV will sell more than 2 million copies in Japan alone, I challenge you to find a source for the claim that the PS2 version of Final Fantasy XI has sold more than 500k in Japan.

You're not going to get 2 million active characters out of only 500k users.  It says previously 500,000 users were using 1 million active characters.  Going with that information, then it is saying that 1 million users were using 2 million active characters.  And then there would be the large number of users that purchased the game but are no longer active players.  That translates into 1,500,000n to 2,000,000 people having bought FFXI at the least.  

The numbers quoted are (a) worldwide, and (b) across all platforms. I asked you for evidence that there were more than 500k in sales for (a) the PS2 version (b) in Japan only.

Around the Network
rckrz6 said:
IM suprised i don't see any sony is dead threads as there E3 sucked

Well, then it seems a lot of people disagree with you and enjoyed their E3 conference.

bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

I didn't say 5 million for FFXIII.  I say 2 million for FFXIII,  2 million for GT5, and 2 million for FF Versus XIII.  And probably an additional 2 million for FFXIV.  Bringing in 4 million new PS3 owners in Japan following the release of FF XIV.  I think those are very reasonable expectations especially when you have other games I'm not counting that will also appeal to Japanese gamers like whatever Sega's follow up to the latest Yakuza is, Tales of Vesperia PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma II, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Rising PS3, Lost Planet 2, The Last Guardian, and other games from Japanese studios that will follow these especially since many Japanese studios won't feel inclined to make HD games on 360 when the PS3 has an advantage of 8 million PS3s sold in Japan to 2 million on 360.

With all of the above, it isn't unreasonable to think the PS3 will pass 10 million consoles sold in Japan this gen.

Umm... 2 million for FF XIV in Japan? The last MMO in the series, FF XI, sold 150,000 copies in Japan, on a much larger PS2 install base.

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=761®ion=All

From Wikipedia,

"In April 2009, Square Enix announced that the total number of active characters exceeded 2 million for the first time in game history.[3] Previously Square Enix had announced that more than 500,000 users, using more than one million characters, were playing the game as of January 2004. As of 2006, between 200,000 and 300,000 active players logged in per day, and the game remains the dominant MMORPG in Japan.[4] As of 2008, in an announcement for three additional expansions in development, SE noted Final Fantasy XI still has a strong user base of around 500,000 subscribers. [5] As of April 22nd, 2009 there are 2,000,000 active characters. Four expansions for the game have been released, capitalizing on the game's success."

I have as hard a time believing that a game that has 2,000,000 active characters sold only 150,000 copies as I do that the Burning Crusade sold 0.0 copies.

If there were 500k sold worldwide, then 150k sold in Japan would seem about right, no?

Even if we assume 1 million sold worldwide, it's a long way from there to 2 million sold in Japan only, which was your prediction for FF XIV.

This site says .15 copies of FFXI have been sold total, it then says 0.00 copies sold on PC, and .18 sold on 360.  I don't buy those numbers especially with the the Wikipedia article saying FFXI is the dominant mmorpg in Japan.  That means it has sold more in Japan than World of Warcraft.  Judging from the fact that all other Playstation Final Fantasies have sold 2 million + copies in Japan, then I feel that FFXI across its different versions must have too.

For the PS2 version of FF XI, VGChartz only has estimated sal

You're not going to get 2 million active characters out of only 500k users.  It says previously 500,000 users were using 1 million active characters.  Going with that information, then it is saying that 1 million users were using 2 million active characters.  And then there would be the large number of users that purchased the game but are no longer active players.  That translates into 1,500,000n to 2,000,000 people having bought FFXI at the least.  

The numbers quoted are (a) worldwide, and (b) across all platforms. I asked you for evidence that there were more than 500k in sales for (a) the PS2 version (b) in Japan only.

I don't have much time to spend on it tonight.  However, I can't find any other sites on the web supporting or disputing the 150,000 sold on PS2 figure that this site puts up.  However, I did find some other information:

"The user base for the PlayStation 2 version was truncated initially because of limited sales of the PlayStation 2s hard drive and network adapters that were needed for the game.[77] The Japanese release of Rise of the Zilart was the number one selling game when it debuted with 90,000 copies sold in the first week.[77] The Final Fantasy XI All-in-One Pack was number 36 and Wings of the Goddess was number 40 on the top 50 best-selling Xbox 360 games in Japan as of December 2007.[78]

For the April–September 2004 financial period, Square Enix saw online gaming, particularly Final Fantasy XI, sales increase by 101 percent and operating profit increase by 230.9 percent.[79] Revenues held steady from subscription services in the summer of 2006; in the fall however, Square acknowledged that online subscription revenues were "unsatisfactory", despite the steady performance of Final Fantasy XI.[80][81]

In December 2002, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced that there were over 200,000 subscribers to Final Fantasy XI, allowing the company to break even and start making a profit.[82] There were between 200,000 and 300,000 active players daily in 2006.[83] As of August 14, 2006 the Xbox 360 version was the sixth most played game on Xbox Live.[84]"

http://www.answers.com/topic/final-fantasy-xi

"Mr. Sundi then presented his audience with some statistics on what platforms were being used by which territories as well as server performance. The Japanese audience is about 55% of the entire userbase and play the game on the PS2 in a 2:1 ratio compared against the PC version. North America and European Union make up the remaining 45% and prefer the PC version, with a reversed ratio of 1:2. 1.6 million individual characters are registered in the game with around 200,000 to 300,000 active users daily at 130,000 to 150,000 simultaneous connections."

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060324/woodard_01.shtml

txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

I don't have much time to spend on it tonight.  However, I can't find any other sites on the web supporting or disputing the 150,000 sold on PS2 figure that this site puts up.  However, I did find some other information:

"The user base for the PlayStation 2 version was truncated initially because of limited sales of the PlayStation 2s hard drive and network adapters that were needed for the game.[77] The Japanese release of Rise of the Zilart was the number one selling game when it debuted with 90,000 copies sold in the first week.[77] The Final Fantasy XI All-in-One Pack was number 36 and Wings of the Goddess was number 40 on the top 50 best-selling Xbox 360 games in Japan as of December 2007.[78]

For the April–September 2004 financial period, Square Enix saw online gaming, particularly Final Fantasy XI, sales increase by 101 percent and operating profit increase by 230.9 percent.[79] Revenues held steady from subscription services in the summer of 2006; in the fall however, Square acknowledged that online subscription revenues were "unsatisfactory", despite the steady performance of Final Fantasy XI.[80][81]

In December 2002, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada announced that there were over 200,000 subscribers to Final Fantasy XI, allowing the company to break even and start making a profit.[82] There were between 200,000 and 300,000 active players daily in 2006.[83] As of August 14, 2006 the Xbox 360 version was the sixth most played game on Xbox Live.[84]"

"Mr. Sundi then presented his audience with some statistics on what platforms were being used by which territories as well as server performance. The Japanese audience is about 55% of the entire userbase and play the game on the PS2 in a 2:1 ratio compared against the PC version. North America and European Union make up the remaining 45% and prefer the PC version, with a reversed ratio of 1:2. 1.6 million individual characters are registered in the game with around 200,000 to 300,000 active users daily at 130,000 to 150,000 simultaneous connections."

Well, that info provides for a reasonable method for estimating the Japanese PS2 sales. If we assume that there are an average of 2 characters per player, then 2 million characters would mean 1 million copies sold worldwide across all platforms. If we go with Mr. Sundi's figures of 55% of all FF XI players are in Japan, and Japanese players prefer the PS2 version by a 2:1 ratio, then 37% of all FF XI players are Japanese PS2 players. So 1 million copies worldwide across all platforms would translate to 370k PS2 copies in Japan.

That's more than 150k, but still a LONG way from 2 million.

Will you concede that there have not been 2 million PS2 copies of FF XI sold in Japan?

bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
bluesinG said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:
txrattlesnake said:
HappySqurriel said:

Well, that info provides for a reasonable method for estimating the Japanese PS2 sales. If we assume that there are an average of 2 characters per player, then 2 million characters would mean 1 million copies sold worldwide across all platforms. If we go with Mr. Sundi's figures of 55% of all FF XI players are in Japan, and Japanese players prefer the PS2 version by a 2:1 ratio, then 37% of all FF XI players are Japanese PS2 players. So 1 million copies worldwide across all platforms would translate to 370k PS2 copies in Japan.

That's more than 150k, but still a LONG way from 2 million.

Will you concede that there have not been 2 million PS2 copies of FF XI sold in Japan?

Yeah, but you're method doesn't include the fact that since it's an mmo then it will constantly have players coming in and falling out due to the subscritptions and it seems to have kept up its sales for a long time across many versions one of them even being the number one game in Japan in a later release.  And the ask.com article indicates that the sales weren't what they could have been due to adaptation to the PS2 harddrive.  The PS3 has a harddrive.  I've stated my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

you are all out of control